De Flapper kits for awnings

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 15:37
ThreadID: 100511 Views:4415 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, I was wondering if anybody knows if you can use any de flapper kits on your wind out awnings or they have to be the same brand as your awning, we have a prostor awning. Would be great to hear from someone that has that brand and what they have used.
Thanks
Vicki
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 17:19

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 17:19
Use any brand that does the job.

I have dome black plastic clamp type ones that I use for short stays and light winds.
The Aussie Traveller extended arms that I use on my Annex are for longer stays or bigger winds.

Some guy sold the bride some small metal ball types with a thin occy strap on them that pulled off in the first breeze. She felt sorry for him......

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 504600

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 17:20

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 17:20
-some- not dome!!!

Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 781452

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 18:59

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 18:59
G'day Vicki f1

Individual de-flapper units tend to put a great deal of strain on a fairly small portion of the edge of any awning they are used on, if the breeze turns to a strong wind the de-flappers can either let go if they are not secured tightly or they can tear the edge of the awning, especially if it is a sun hardened awning.

I use an appropriate length of UV stableized cord that I place over the entire length of the caravan awning twice, it stops the awning from flapping and it also prevents the breeze/wing from lifting the middle of the awning too.

This cord method also gives you a "clothes line" or two under the shade of the awning.

Safe travels.
AnswerID: 504608

Follow Up By: vicki f1 - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:19

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:19
Hi Yosef, I have read a few things like this, do you just use that white stretchy cord which has the wire inside it and allows you to screw a hook or eye into the ends ? the type of thing you buy at Spotlight for your curtains. And do you stretch it out over the top and bottom at the short ends or over the entire awning ?
Thanks
Vicki

FollowupID: 781515

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 17:13

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 17:13
G'day vicki f1

Sorry mate, but my reply does not sound to clear, but there are no stretchy cords or wire/screw curtain cords in my de-flapper set up.

Just a very simple method of throwing a suitable length of UV stabalized cord over the top of the awning, but tied off on the arms of the awning to do the job of the so called de-flappers, the clothes line scenario is the length of cord left over being put to good use.

You can buy good quality cord from ant major hardware out let or even Woolies.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 781536

Reply By: SuperGrover - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 22:06

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 22:06
I have just fitted Aussie Traveller anti flap kit. It contains a system that clamps the full length of the end of the awning. These are a little more expensive than the individual ones but hopefully I will only purchase once. Just had the awning replaced after not having anti flappers fitted and ripped the awning. It was ageing though. These require a small bracket to be screwed on the van at each end and a hole to be drilled in the roller which holds the awning. Video available on their website.
AnswerID: 504634

Follow Up By: vicki f1 - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:45

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:45
Thank you Super Grover, I will keep this brand in mind.
FollowupID: 781574

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 22:37

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 22:37
Hi Vicky,
We bought our deflappers from Camec Camping supplies....worked OK, eventually bought another set so I could rig up two per side. However the best advice I can give is to peg down your entire awning. Don't rely on the caravan struts. There can be huge gusts at 3am and I made it a habit to peg down the awning every night after almost having the awning flip up over the caravan roof early one morning.
AnswerID: 504635

Follow Up By: vicki f1 - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:47

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:47
Thanks Witi R, yes we will be pegging everything down just in case : )
FollowupID: 781575

Reply By: vicki f1 - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 09:37

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 09:37
Hi Bill, thanks for that, I have seen those black clamps your talking about, but we need to have a bar slotted in on each end as the wind out awning bars at each end sit about a foot in from the edge ( I think they do this on purpose so you have to then buy these bars as an extra) so I was wondering if I could use any brand bar ?
AnswerID: 504663

Sponsored Links