Australia Day at Silverton N.S.W.

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 15:46
ThreadID: 100528 Views:3177 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Over the Australia Day weekend we decided to celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary exploring the town of Silverton NSW.
We departed our home town Saturday morning and headed to Broken Hill where we stayed in a very lovely Motel in the heart of town.

Sunday morning we travelled to Silverton, on arrival we decided to unload our baggage at the Penrose Park Caravan Park where we had made a booking for a cabin for the night.
Opening the door to the cabin we found there was no table and chairs, no TV and as we knew no cooking facilities in the cabin, with only a bar fridge and coffee/tea making facilities.
There was no view outside due to a canvas blind that could not be rolled up.

The Veranda concrete was covered with leaves, bird feathers and the door mat was surrounded by, and sitting on red sand.
I approached the Manager who informed me that the rooms “do not have tables and chairs in them”, I had already looked in the other room’s windows and saw tables.
The Manager said he would give us two green garden chairs and a dirty green garden table outside our room. This was done after he cleaned the table.

We decided to explore the lovely remains and restored buildings of the once booming mining town and thoroughly enjoyed all the Tourist Venues and spent some time at the interesting local hotel (top meal Peter).
Thank you to all those lovely, helpful people who welcomed us to Silverton for your Hospitality.
We loved all the venues, and the very well set up Mad Max2 Museum.

On closing I wish to say to the The Penrose Park Trust Committee “the cabins are a disgrace to Silverton and for the price we paid you can at least supply tables and chairs, and TV’s in the rooms”. There is room for improvement to them.

Would we recommend this park for cabins.....NO
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 20:58

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 20:58
Always a shame when you do not get reasonable service for what you pay. We found the manager a little "offhanded" when we were there 18months ago as well. That said, the town and it's attractions far outway the Park management. Hope you got to see sunset at Mundi Mundi lookout. Lunch at the Pub was superb and Coffee and Cake up at the Cafe the same. Cheers,Bob.
AnswerID: 504695

Follow Up By: P and JM - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 21:45

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 21:45
G'Day Bob,

Yeah you are correct, the Manager seemed to be " lost in the jungle " to us. Said he has only been there a short time, the locals said the same thing so it's hard for him.

The park is a big area and seems very run down, big $$$ would be needed to get it off the ground again.

Re the sunset did not see it as I've seen many bush sunsets and sunrises so did not bother.

Cheers P&J
FollowupID: 781558

Follow Up By: baz&pud (tassie) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:22

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:22
Pity cause the Mundi Mundi Plain is something special, you can actually see the curvature of the earth.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 781570

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 21:00

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 21:00
Sorry PandJM. Have to rub it in as this is just a tad of what you missed. Bob

Mundi Mundi plains. Where a lot of NSW's dust comes from.

The nicest tasting oranges we have ever eaten and they were free

The dam wall with a 90kph wind blowing over it

Photoshoot for a Myer catalogue in a howling gale. Crazy but interesting to see.

Dusty Dusk over Silverton

Incredible Sunset.Nothing like it to compare

You really can see the curvature of the Earth

FollowupID: 781651

Follow Up By: P and JM - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 23:17

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 23:17
Hi Bob,

Mate I've seen many flat plains, sand hills, rugged hills, dusty dust storms, gusty & strong wild windy days and nights, vicious thunder storms and what ever the bush offers.

I worked in the Central Far North and North East of South Aussie for a number of years so know what you are showing in the photos.

We did visit the Mundi Mundi lookout where some of the filming for Mad Max2 was done. We also went out to the reservoir that supplies Silverton and some of Broken Hill's water supply.

Your photos are great and the sunset is tops.

Cheers P&J
FollowupID: 781674

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 19:23

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 19:23
Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear you had sub standard accommodation when you visited Silverton

It does leave a very sour taste in your mouth.

Lest hope that your next stay else ware is far better.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504758

Follow Up By: P and JM - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 23:00

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 23:00
Hi Stephen,

One of those things in life I suppose but they need to realize it's 2013 not 1813.

They need to improve for the future, and future accommodation.

Cheers P&J
FollowupID: 781668

Sponsored Links