Strange noise at highway speed

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 14:14
ThreadID: 10053 Views:2116 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a mitsubishi challenger which has this strange noise at and above 100km/h. It’s difficult to describe, like a constant highish pitch hum, just loud enough to hear it over the stereo, sounds to me like some sort of wind noise. Sounds like it is coming from around the front passenger wheel area, maybe the passenger side engine bay/dash. The rubber splash mats between the engine bay and passenger wheel were split and flapping and I thought it may be them rubbing on the wheel but I tucked them away and it the noise was still there. Seems worse when the prevailing wind is going from right to left across the road and also when the aircon is on. If the wind is gusty the noise starts and stops with the wind gusts. It’s starts at about 100 km/h and gets worse the faster you go, pretty well constant at 120.
It’s been there for a while intermittently but we went away on the long weekend and it was worse and quite annoying.
An ideas??

Thanks in advance.
Cookie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 18:55

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 18:55
Check on the wheel bearing adjustment. Also when you stop see if the inner hub is a little warm compared to the other side. If your not mechanically minded most places will check your adjustment for nix but will charge you around half hour labour to grease and adjust. Other than that your description is a little vague and could be any number of things.
AnswerID: 44511

Reply By: maverick - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 19:42

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 19:42
it's most probable scared to death. do yourself and everybody else a favour and slow down and remeber it is a little truck and even though it may do 140km/hr jsut settle down. go and get falcon or commodore or something that may be ok at those speeds. rgds
AnswerID: 44522

Follow Up By: cookie - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 12:00

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 12:00
Good one unit! It weighs 2 tonne and has a 3L V6, it's not really small, not as big as some. I know the limits of my vehicle. I do the speed limit and occasionally go over when overtaking, don't make do gooder assumtions about my driving and impress your lack of driving skill on me. Do me a favour and don't waste my time if you don't have something constructive to say, you obviously know jack about it.
FollowupID: 306762

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:01

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:01
Cookie.
Sounds like the normal niose for a roof rack. It will not be mechanical, if you have not got a roof rack look for badly aligned doors, if you suspect a door is not closing properly or the window is not fully wound up, place duct tape over the offending panel and the niose should stop. and please slow down. Eric.
AnswerID: 44548

Reply By: ianmc - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 23:13

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 23:13
Hi Cookie, I have 91 tRITON S/C & HAVE AT TIMES BEEN MYSTIFIED BY STRANGE
brrrringgg sound & found it to be slight misalignment of front wheels.
If they toe out you may get a singing/scrubbing sound from the front until corrected.
Run your hand slowly around tread to see if there are any lips on the edges of the lugs. Probably worse if you are using mud terrain luggies which should be rotated often.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 44573

Reply By: Camper - Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 18:31

Friday, Feb 13, 2004 at 18:31
Hi Cookie,
We get a similar noise in the Challenger but reckon it comes from the left front door seal about head height
Its instantly there when a semi passes us going the other way and as you say with gusty cross winds. I can change its character by pushing a business card into the body-seal gap but not stop it. Havent noticed ours altered by the aircon though.
AnswerID: 46623

Sponsored Links