WA - between Broome and Perth

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 16:07
ThreadID: 10055 Views:2072 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All
Picked up a bit from the archives - but thought this worthy of a post. I'm heading up the Canning (sth-nth) and then the Kimberly in mid year - but following this by a reletively quick period spent travelling from Broome to Perth (a couple to several weeks). What do you all reckon are the "must sees" between Broome and Perth?

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers
Troopie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 17:54

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 17:54
G'day Troopie,
We'll start things rolling by suggesting Ningaloo Coast for good fishing and excellent snorkelling.

Happy camping
Jan & Mike.
AnswerID: 44500

Follow Up By: Troopie - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:02

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:02
Thanks Jan and Mike - definately had this on the list - any specific spots, or can't really go wrong?

Cheers
FollowupID: 306748

Reply By: Pluto - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 18:44

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 18:44
Once your past Geraldton & Dongara, turn on to Indian Ocean rd and follow it down the coast to Cervantes.

On the way, there are a variety of good camp sites and things to see. I would recommend Stockyard Gully as a day visit, although at that time of year, you may not be able to get into the caves (still worth a look).

From Cervantes, you have the Wedge Track to Lancelin, which is an excellent way to finish of the coast trip into Perth. If you camp in or near Cervantes, I can recommend a early start on the day, so you get the morning light when you visit the Pinnacles.Get out there & have Fun!!!
AnswerID: 44509

Follow Up By: Troopie - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:03

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:03
G'day Pluto
Thanks very much - hadn't come across this before.

Cheers
FollowupID: 306749

Follow Up By: Pluto - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 12:49

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 12:49
No Worries Troopie

Don't forget to look at the WA Coast Section of the Trek Notes You'll find lots of ideas.
Get out there & have Fun!!!
FollowupID: 306766

Reply By: maverick - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 19:40

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 19:40
do yourself a favour and head back through rudall river nat pk. good drive with heaps to see and best of all sort of reasonably isolated. if it is to be a really trip just go down the hwy and check out the mine at newman and some of the other stuff through the inland. the coast needs its own time to explore. rgds
AnswerID: 44521

Follow Up By: Troopie - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:06

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:06
G'day Maverick
Thanks for the suggestion, but we are likely to stay nearer the coast (except for maybe a side trip into the Pilbara). We will have just done the Canning so will have passed by Rudall (sort-of passed by anyhow).

Cheers
FollowupID: 306750

Reply By: Member - Russell - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:19

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:19
2 to 3 weeks? Broome to Perth? Assume you're sticking to coast? Try (in order, heading South);

Cape Leveque (Actually north of Broome but an absolute must see. 2 to 3 days)

80 Mile Beach

Cape Keraudren

Spend a night at De Grey River

Call into Pt Hedland and ask for directions to the "Spoil Bank". Interesting for half a day. Nice sand bar surrounded by ocean.

Spend a night at Yule River (60 odd k's Sth of Hedland, currently lots of water)

Balla Balla / Whim Creek pub

Cossack and Pt Samson (out of Roebourne)

Cleavervile Beach (Just South of Roebourne)

Burrrup Peninsula, Dampier (ask directions to the "jump-up". Don't be terrified when you get to it, get out of car, spend 10 mins putting rocks back in holes, use spotter for guidance, 20 mtrs of terror then some of the best country you'll see ANYWHERE. Don't take trailer)

Miaree Pool (40 or so k's South of Karratha)

Cape Preston

Mouth of Fortescue River (So so, but worth a quick look if you have time)

Go down Pannawonica Rd for 27 kms, turn right, go down about 5 k's, look for tracks on right, 2 or 3 k's to nice river spots.

Back to highway, head for Carnarvon. Just North of Carnarvon, look for signs to Quobba blowholes. 40 something k's but well worth it, good camping.

Carnarvon's worth a half day look around.

Gladstone.

Hamelin Pool (Stromatelites, worth a quick look, reasonable camping)
You could keep going for Shark Bay, theres another week gone......

How much time did you have.....?

Have fun, watch out for huge fat 4 legged roos that moo. Boy do they make a mess of Hi-luxes.... (Not mine thankfully, felt sorry for the poor bugger though)

AnswerID: 44558

Follow Up By: Troopie - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:15

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:15
G'day Russell
Thanks very much for the extensive list spots to check out - this is great stuff and will certainly help. I have never been over to WA at all, so this is much appreciated given my comparative lack of general knowledge about the area - compared to my usual stomping grounds anyhow.....

We have already planned to head up to Cape Leveque, then back to Broome - it is from there south that we were after some advice. Amount of time we have depends on how much we wander about during the earlier parts of the trip - but having ideas helps to aim for some places and/or be prepared to skip some if needs be. The focus of this trip is the Canning and Kimberly - but we should still have several weeks to check out at least a few spots while heading down the coast.

All the best!
FollowupID: 306751

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 15:30

Tuesday, Feb 03, 2004 at 15:30
Russel's mentioned everything that I was going to recommend.
Also drop into Karajini on the way
FollowupID: 307395

Reply By: Jonesy56 - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 11:07

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 11:07
Hi Troopie,
For my preference the inland route is the most interesting but go the coast road if fishing is your thing. Make sure you turn off at Nanutarra and go through to Tom Price and the Pilbara. By the time you get there you will need to see some hills! If you base yourself in Tom Price for a few days there is an enourmous amount to see - the oldest exposed landforms in the world. Gorges, deserts and all of that great stuff. All that country through there is brilliant - have a great trip.
Regards
Jonesy
AnswerID: 44598

Follow Up By: Troopie - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 09:45

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 09:45
G'day Jonesy
You sort of nailed it - it looks like the plan is shaping up to head into the Pilbara for a spell - soon after leaving Broome, then across to the coast and visit as many of the places being mentioned in these posts as time allows, while heading south.

Cheers
FollowupID: 306850

Reply By: Peter Guy - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 17:13

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 17:13
In my humble opinion the Wittenoom Gorges are the best in Australia and not far from Newman. You could easily spend 3-4 days exploring them. Then and go and see Millstream for a nice relaxing camp next to cool clean water.
Cheers Peter.
AnswerID: 44642

Follow Up By: Troopie - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 09:46

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 09:46
G'day Peter
Sounds good - Millstream sounds like my kind of spot.

Cheers
FollowupID: 306851

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 23:36

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 23:36
Troopy,
You've made me realised that I never finished off our diary from our 2003 CSR trip - same as you we returned to Perth via Broome.
Member - Russell's suggested itinerary is almost exactly what we did however I would add that from Coral Bay we headed back away from the coast and at Minyilya Roadhouse headed EAST out towards the Kennedy Range. This is simply the most fantastic little place, little used, lovely camping/walking etc in peace (which you will desire after a wonderful CSR trip, then bombardment of people coming down the coast, especially after finishing your run down from Exmouth to Coral Bay via Yardie Creek). After visiting the Kennedy Ranges, you can opt to head back to the coast after passing through the Murchison Settlement to head back WEST to Geraldton and then pick up the coast again. As suggested see Dongara, Kalbari etc but ensure you take the trip from Jurien (lovely spot) to Cervantes and then take the beach/coast 4WD track from Cervantes to Lancelin via Wedge Island and Grey. We just did this run 3 weeks ago and have new data to update the trek note I already have on the site so in a few weeks I'll have that done for you to refer to also. After Lancelin, yes you should investigate Stockyard Gully and maybe even try to stop at Guilderton (CP on beach at river mouth) then hit "the big smoke" ha ha.Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
AnswerID: 44690

Follow Up By: Troopie - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 09:56

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 09:56
G'day Michelle
Many thanks for that. I already have these trek notes, but look forward to seeing the updated versions.

I read your Canning Diary with great interest, eagerly awaiting each instalment.

One question though - which you may have answered elsewhere and I've missed - are you planning on putting the GPS reference data for key points on the site? If I remember rightly, the previous version of the trek note had a list of the wells and their GPS data..

Many thanks!
FollowupID: 306852

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:19

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 12:19
Good question Troopie - the reason I didn't manually type in the waypoint list in the CSR trek note was that I knew that our new Point Place system would handle that automatically. Point Place is a big development and its currently handling plot file downloads but not yet the waypoint downloads although the data is there but we haven't given you all access to it yet. The system is still under development but we are releasing phases of it as we go, however you should definately be able to download the waypoints for all our Trek Notes, plus plot files for all our Trek Notes and even the .map file for all our Trek Notes well before the start of the outback travel season.Regards Michelle,
Spread the word - ExplorOz.com
FollowupID: 306864

Follow Up By: Troopie - Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 13:44

Thursday, Jan 29, 2004 at 13:44
Cool - lookin' forward to seeing it! Keep up the good work!

Cheers
FollowupID: 306875

Sponsored Links