gas cooktop

Submitted: Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 14:58
ThreadID: 100565 Views:1466 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there guys
I want to replace my gas oven and cooktop with a SMEV or Cramer cooktop
hob. I beleive they need 12 volt to operate the ignition and safety cutout in case of
flameout. Unfortunately my ol van only has 240 volt power.
Is there a way around this without being too expensive.

Thanks Skeety
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 15:09

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 15:09
Maybe use a small rechargeable, sealed, lead acid battery - Jaycar have some listed for low $ - I presume the current requirements for those lighting and safety functions would be very low (except the oven light - that would chew it up). The battery supplier could advise on the best value charger to go with the battery.
AnswerID: 504813

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 18:53

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 18:53
I'm not so sure that they need 12v for safety cutout.
Just looked at the Cramer instructions on the Waeco site and all that is required is to hold-in the burner knob for 10 seconds after lighting. Refers to lighting with a match so that model may not have electric ignition. Check with the supplier.
If however they do require 12v and you will have 240v available, Jaycar and others could supply a small 240/12v plug pack to suit.
If you do need 12v and you will be away from 240v then an SLA battery and charger as Darian described will do. Again, Jaycar could supply both.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504828

Follow Up By: skeety46 - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:33

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 11:33
Thanks chaps. I'll do a bit more research.

FollowupID: 781998

Sponsored Links