Road from Tibooburra to Innamincka

Submitted: Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 21:37
ThreadID: 100569 Views:2697 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Is it possible to tow a van as above? and if so which track is recommended or should we leave the van at Tibooburra and just 4WD it? ( I want to go to the 'Dig Tree')
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 22:01

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 22:01
Hi Bryan,

We towed our 18ft Jayco Outback Sterling van through Warri Gate and went via the Santos and Orientos Stations track last Winter. I think it was in May...kept blogs of our travels so maybe you can look them up on EO.
Our destination was the Dig tree where we camped for 4 nights and which we used as a base to drive to Innamincka and surrounding places. Unfortunately many of the roads and historic sites were still closed due to recent wet but we did manage to see Burkes grave and Cullymurra waterhole which was 4WD only at the time...
It was an interesting experience to tow the van through not long after the tracks re opened....the road workers were out and some of it was newly graded and had great surface however we also encountered sandy creek crossings, some patches of wet which we were able to detour around, and gibber stones...
The track was marked 4WD Only dry weather track....but nowhere did we have to engage 4WD. We only met three or four vehicles, all of whom looked amazed to see us with the van...
So yes it is possible but check the roads and weather forecast before you leave Tibooburra (there is 3G there) and drive to the conditions, cover your rear vehicle window, drop the tyre pressures and enjoy this most scenic part of the inland. I love it!

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504837

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 22:04

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 22:04
Here is the link to the relevant blog on EO...

http://www.exploroz.com/Members/145028.750/6/2012/Tibooburra__Sturt_National_Park_campsites_and_Cameron_Corner_.aspx

it was June, not May.

regards,
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 781735

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 22:06

Friday, Feb 15, 2013 at 22:06
Sorry...THIS is the relevant one!
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/145028.750/6/2012/An_Interesting_drive_from_Warri_Gate_to_The_Dig_Tree_Campsite_on_Cooper_Creek.aspx

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 781736

Reply By: Member - Graham Watson (SA) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 00:09

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 00:09
We travelled with friends towing a Jayco Camper (the type where the roof pops up and the ends pop out). We went from Innaminka to Camerons Corner via Merty Merty. Other than the corrugations and some potholes/washouts there were no issues and their camper handled it easily.
Go to here for photos of the trip, including some of their camper.
Graham Watson

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 504843

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 08:26

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 08:26
Those corrugations on the road past Camerons corner via Merty Merty are epic.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 781742

Reply By: Sigmund - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:30

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:30
Have seen a guy pulling a van with a Prado from Tib. to Cameron Cnr when it was classed as 4WD only. He was finding it hard to get above 60 kph even on good sections.

But if the road via Cameron Corner is in good shape you could drive a Rolls Royce down it.

If it rains to any extent it'll be closed (5-10 mm is enough). Then it may be open to 4WD only and vehicles under 3 tons until it's graded. There's some exciting roller coasters W of Cameron Corner but take it easy and you should be fine.

So it all depends. Be prepared to wait at Tib. which is an interesting place - the Sturt NP is worth a visit.
AnswerID: 505163

Sponsored Links