Just what constitutes a Self Contained Motor Home ?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 14:38
ThreadID: 100583 Views:5696 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
This summer we brought the "On the road magazine " , magazine format, Guide to free Campsites 2013-2014.

(great guide of freespots for Victoria at least , at it has support info and outlines
dozens of featured sites with a full page devoted to each)

I do however note the increasing trend of allowing only fully self contained motor homes at some sites.

E.G. under Kingston S.A. is a photo of a local counsel sign which reads ->

BY-LAW 3/4

"CAMPING in other than self contained motor homes / caravans is prohibited"

So my questions is - what exactly does this mean and would my setup qualify ?

(We sleep in our Patrol - even cooking from it - and are self contained with the exception of loo's - however for the sake of this exercise assume we carry a portapotti or equivalent and there is no sink type waste - mainly because we don't generate it)

Would the above description meant we qualify as a self contained motorhome ?
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: K&FT - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 15:28

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 15:28
self contained vehicles
G'day,

I found this document from tassie which might give you some info.

Reading it confirms that my van would not qualify if the standards are similar in mainland states.

have a look here: http://www.lgat.tas.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/Recreational_Vehicle_Guidleines.pdf

frank
AnswerID: 504867

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 16:25

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 16:25
Thanks Frank , the two definitions of self contained in the top document are interesting in that 2nd one requires a shower.

Our camping style of sleeping in car no shower an moving on to odd CV park when those things are required wouldn't fit that definition.

Certainly in practise those standars don't apply in victoria.

It would seem that Tassie may become a place to avoid if those things are widespread.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 781765

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 16:16

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 16:16
CMCA who administer a Leave No Trace compliance scheme state:

"Members who participate in the Leave No Trace® scheme must have a vehicle that meets the requirements for the holding capacity for fresh, grey and black water, as well as storage capacity for garbage waste. To qualify, a self-contained vehicle must retain ALL waste within the confines of the vehicle, and leave no trace whatsoever of its visit to a site. Vehicle owners must sign a declaration that they will comply with the Leave No Trace® Code of Conduct at all times. Vehicles that have qualified for the scheme display a sticker on the front windscreen, and the vehicle owner carries documentation of proof of their participation in this scheme. This documentation can be produced upon request."

More at http://www.cmca.net.au/pages/motorhoming_information/cmca_schemes/LeaveNoTrace.php

Holding grey water is not confined to built in tanks to qualitify for the CMCA LNT sticker, but portable methods can be used to remove all waster water from the site.

If you have a portaloo, rubbish bin and a cannister to remove all water - eg hand washing, washing dishes or bathing/showering, you have a case. People seeing you may not understand. Some campsites specify motorhomes only and no caravans (regardless of full self containment), so i cannot see see your camping as complying for these sites.

Self containment certification is all about the ability to self contain, but the behaviour cannot be guaranteed by the sticker. Most of us are willing to 'do the right thing' when it is required, regardless of our rig.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504873

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 16:39

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 16:39
Interesting Motherhen thanks for reference - even though I have been on these sites since before they were invented I haven't heard of that scheme.

I couldn't decide wether I would qualify or not.

A lot of these things come down to intrepretation.

I would for example qualify in terms of the intent of the scheme and results of our camps.

But sometimes organizations have stupid rules that are counter productive.

I don't know which catergory the CMCA fits into.

If it had a rule saying for e.g. that a grey water holding tank of XX litres was required then I wouldn't have anything to do with them.

If it said instead that you are required to hold all you grey water then that is acceptable because it caters for the fact that different camping styles generate different amounts.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 781766

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 17:14

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 17:14
CMCA have changed the wording a few times Robin - it used to specify litres - which would not suit me as when water is short and we could use the same methods if disposal was a problem; we can bathe in a couple of litres, and i can be very economical with water as i am sure you can with your camping out. CMCA are doing something positive.

When we hear about methods of emptying tanks eg running it out slowly whilst driving along the road; having built in tanks is not the entire solution. I am currently running a Poll on another forum about built in grey water tanks. I only put it up last night, and one of the questions is "I have been to a campsite where a fitted grey water tank was compulsory". So far 20 people have ticked this, which has surprised me as i have specified fitted, not portable methods of water removal which most of us are set up to do if needed. I have never seen a campground with even water removal from site specified.

Mh

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 781767

Follow Up By: Member - john y - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 17:54

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 17:54
Camps Book 6 has the following definition ie " A vehicle that is fully self contained with respect to shower,toilet,washing,cooking and sleeping facilities and must have holding tanks for all toilet waste and sullage water sufficient for at least 48 hours use by the occupants."
My interpretation is that these facilities must be contained within the one vehicle ie.the caravan.Therefor my offroad caravan would not qualify as I have an under bonnet shower fitted to the car.
I may be wrong but the few times we have encountered this prohobition has been within Town boundaries, Port Lincoln was an example. Regardsjohn y
I will go anywhere as long as it's forward

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 781769

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 18:17

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 18:17
Hi John y

Depending on where you were, you could use "behaviour" rather than
equipment". If LNT or full self containment was specified, you could not.

Can you collect all water without any spillage when showering outside? If not, you could always do the "sponge all over" wash which we frequently do even with a shower in the caravan, and always did when we had the camper - just put an old towel on the floor to collect any splash.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 781771

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 19:44

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 19:44
It could certainly be a can of worms with guys as to what is meant by a qualifying vehicle when you consider the range of vehicles from kombi vans to 5th wheelers.

I certainly hope that common sense and intent are whats considered otherwise the next commitee may not like showers and insist that everyone carry a bath instead.

So often these things tie themselves up in knots are just fall by the wayside.

I will consider my car as LNT - gee its doesn't even leave those nasty diesel fumes behind it.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 781774

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 19:53

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 19:53
Robin, in New Zealand where for some years they have had a requirement to have a fitted grey water tank and pay for certification through their equivalent of the CMCA to be able to free camp, a New Zealander has stated that portable means of removing water are now acceptable.

Legislation will not prevent everyone from disposing of anything inappropriately, and campers like yourself or those with only a tent may do better than some with all the right equipment.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 781775

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 17:36

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 17:36
Hi Robin,
You are nothing but a provocateur with that last line. LOL

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 781834

Sponsored Links