electric brake problem

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 18:23
ThreadID: 100599 Views:2156 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Recently my neighbours told me my brake lights( on ute) were stuck on , removing the Teck....
prodigy 2 brake controler .... and lights back to normal...
put unit bac in and no van brakes....
where do I start , is there a fuse in unit ? cant seem to find one . unit is 1.5 years old.

thanx in advance Barry , Gladstone
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 18:44

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 18:44
I've heard that these have a problem with this happening.

There was a solution developed that involved a Diode in the circuit somewhere. I'd say you'll get someone on here who knows more about it.
AnswerID: 504957

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 19:44

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 19:44
Hi Barry,

The Tekonsha Voyager had a problem but not the Tekonsha Prodegy. That is not to say that it has not developed a problem.

There should be an auto reset fuse in the main power line to the brake controller. Check this out as it should be somewhere along the main power line. Trace the red wire back from the unit.

If replacing this fuse you need to replace it with an auto reset fuse of 20 or 30 amps capacity.

If you have a good auto electrician close I would let him have a look at it as the problem may be somewhere else other than the controller unless you are pretty handy around electrics.

You say you are in Gladstone, is that Queensland or NSW ??.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 504963

Follow Up By: bazz - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 20:25

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 20:25
thanx for the info Bruce, im in OLD, Gladstone is so busy the internet is very slow , unusable often, wil trace the red wire .. cheers Barry
FollowupID: 781850

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 20:32

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 20:32
reason I asked is that there is a Gladstone here near Kempsey in NSW. I thought I may heve been able to help if you were close.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 781851

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 20:57

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 20:57
Isn't the red wire to the brake switch, with the black as power? White is earth and blue goes to the trailer?
FollowupID: 781855

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 09:08

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 09:08
SDG you are dead right. Many thanks.

I took a stab as I could not find my circuit diagram. Just checked my vehicle and it is as you say.

Sorry for any inconvenience Bazz, Hope I haven't messed you around unduly.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 781889

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 21:37

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 21:37
bazz

Black is the power wire supply from the battery via an automatic resetting circuit breaker.

Red is the brake light switch sensing wire.

Blue is the wire to the rear lug and brakes on trailer.

White is the earth to vehicle body or chassis Batt negative.

Funding faults/testing.
If yours doesn't work make sure it has 12v battery at the black wire in the Tekonsha plug.

Red wire in the the Tekonsha plug should only read 12v Battery when the brake pedal is pushed.

Blue wire goes to trailer plug and it should have no voltage/current in it unless plugged into controller and brake pedal pressed.

White should be firmly connected to earth at all times.

Trailer base ---- it's blue wire PIN 5 should be firmly screwed in and tight in it's pin and no other strand of the wire cable touching the trailer terminal. Pin5 service brake.

Make sure white of trailer base is in PIN 3 and the pin is connected securely to a good earth.

A common fault is the stray strands of wire which touch each other, in either the vehicle base or the trailer plug.Check both.

If all checks OK then it may be a faulty Tekonsha.
Iit may be using it's 12v input via the plug when connected to the Tekonsha to feed power back up the red wire and therefore activating the brake circuit.

It is in this wire, the red wire that a diode can be added to prevent such back feeds, but the Tekonsha shouldn't be doing it.

Ross M
AnswerID: 504966

Follow Up By: Lex M - Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 22:06

Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 22:06
There should NOT be a diode inserted in the red wire as suggested.

The controller has to be able to turn on the brake lights when manually activated.

FollowupID: 781872

Follow Up By: Ross M - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 01:03

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 01:03
Yes it does and trailer lights wouldn't come on.
If the unit is "leaking" that is the only way unless there is additional circuitry added.
FollowupID: 781883

Follow Up By: Lex M - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 15:08

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 15:08
If the unit is "leaking"

It is faulty and should be replaced or repaired.
FollowupID: 781908

Reply By: Jords07 - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 09:19

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 09:19
Hi Bazz

I had a problem with my prodigy 2 acivating the van brakes intermittedly , while driving on a flat road with no brake applied by me. After stopping and turning off the ignition, the brakes released, then when I drove off, all was ok. this happened a couple of times, so I took my vehicle to the business that installed the unit, and they replaced it
no questions asked, saying there have been a few prodigy 2 units giving trouble.
No problems since.
AnswerID: 504978

Follow Up By: bazz - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 15:43

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 15:43
thanx for all the follow up ... mine has power but brakes dont work... auto electrician job i guess...
FollowupID: 781911

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 23:02

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 23:02
There is a lifetime warranty on Tehonsha controllers (unless you foolishly imported it yourself, that makes you responsible for the warranty.) Check out your wiring as instructed above. If everything is OK with the installation then take it back for warranty replacement. If someone supplied and installed it, take it back to them for warranty.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505037

Sponsored Links