Battery Powered camp lantern -advice sort.

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 17, 2013 at 21:06
ThreadID: 100603 Views:3392 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for a battery powered camp lantern,any suggestions for a good size one,most appreciated-my dory fluro lamp is 15 yr old and showing signs of age.

Looking for something like this.

http://www.tentworld.com.au/products/lights/item/Coleman-CPX-Rechargeable-LED-Rugged-Lantern.aspx

The above has 4 D batteries and a re-chargable on inside as well.

So looking for something like this,I see an 'Arlec' one,and many others,but not sure what to buy,budget $50 to $75.Needs to a proper one for hard use out camping/fishing/trapping and hunting trips.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:28

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:28
Hi Darter.

Have a look here

I have a couple of Arlec units I got from Bunnings 2 years ago and they a good but not bright as they only have a few LEDs in them. But of course the batteries last longer therefore. They light up the camp site plenty good enough for me. They do not have the brightness of an LPG lamp.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 504980

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:00

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:00
Our investigation of these things came up with the LED primus 300 lumen 3 D cell item as an outstanding product. ($60 a couple of years ago)

It is smaller , tougher and has more output than most.

When you put a lamp on a table they don't shine sideways very well - but this lamp can easily be hung upside down as well via a hook in its base and also its difusing top cover comes off to give it a powerful but narrow angle beam to cover a table or to hang on a bonnet catch when bonnet is up and your playing cars at night.

I like to modify everything (hasn't yet worked on the wife) and I put a charging connection into mine - but really its easier for most to just carry spare batteries.

I think there is a 400 lumen version but its a lot bigger and heavier.

http://www.primusaustralia.com.au/index.php?p=line&sid=1286335009
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 504982

Follow Up By: Member - Gerald V - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 15:50

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 15:50
Agree with Robin, it's a good lantern.

We also have the equivalent lantern (not Primus but Rayovac - it's a generic lantern sold under a whole pile of brand names such as Primus, Rayovac, Spinifex, etc, etc, with subtle variations on advertised lumens, but essentially the same product).

We are extremely happy with ours.

Search around the various camp websites and you may find it under another brand. We picked ours up on Amazon last year for US$23.00 (Rayovac SE3DLN)

FollowupID: 781912

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:16

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:16
Darter,
I just added a link to the battery lantern we have available in the shop (shown next to your question). It has had a good review from one member and could be just what you are looking for. If you do go for this unit we would love some more reviews on it. Uses 4 C cells and has excellent run time and comes right in one your budget.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504983

Sponsored Links