Suspension Upgrade or Alko ESC

As with most people - I do not have unlimited funds available to upgrade our Pajero-caravan setup.
I have a 2009 NT DiD, towing an 18.5 foot Jayco Outback Discovery. It has a ball weight of 110kg.

I would welcome people's views on whether - for the safety, money etc. - people would recommend a suspension upgrade or having the new Alko ESC fitted now and do the suspension next year.

I already use a HR WDH.
Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 09:41

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 09:41
G'day garytee

While the ESC unit is a good thing to have for safety reasons, unless there is a high likelyhood of getting into an emergency caravan sliding situation it does nothing until it is needed. I am not knocking the unit, the idea is great.

The suspension you will use all the time
It depends on what you are calling an upgrade. This is an open term which can mean many things.
Generally Jayco's have short hard riding springs and no shocks, not sure if yours is like this.

An upgrade would be:

a longer spring leaf pack with for a more compliant ride,

a bit higher riding so large undulations and road bumps can be accomodated,,

and most definitely shock absorbers fitted to control the axle rebounds to help stop damaging vibration oscillations and to keep the wheels in contact with the ground so less side slip is encountered.

Is the ball weight you stated the claimed ball weight or what you have actually measured when fully loaded and ready to hitch up? Can be a BIG difference there.

Ross M
AnswerID: 504979

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 06:10

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 06:10
Hi, presume you mean a suspension upgrade to the Paj? I would do the safety thing first and fit the ESC, then the suspension upgrade.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505140

Sponsored Links