New Tent - Feedback Please

Submitted: Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 10:26
ThreadID: 100613 Views:2406 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Planning a possible two month trip in September and October, outback maybe two thirds and returning home via the coast.

Home is Bega, NSW. Cameron Corner. Coober Pedy, Adelaide, Gellong, then home either via the coast or over the mountains.

I'm looking to buy a new tent for the trip, expecting we're bound to strike some rain in this time. There'll be some pretty disappointed farmers if we don't get a bit of rain in two months.

The missus and me, sleeping on stretchers.

I think we need a three metre tent to keep the beds clear of the tent walls in rain.

Looking at an OzTrail Blitz 300.

Quick and easy to erect and pack up.

It's affordable.

Quality?

How will it stand up to being packed in the morning if it's damp from condensation or due? Any tips here?

Is keeping the beds clear of the walls really an issue for a tent of this quality? I'd sooner go for a 2.4 metre model. Lighter, smaller to pack and a good bit cheaper.

I've found a man on eBay who'll sell me a 2.4 for $400 and a 3.0 for $600, quite a bit under the RRP. He looks legit.

I didn't think a Coleman would be up to scratch for the purpose, though much cheaper.

Any other recommendations? As usual, price is a consideration.

Thanks,
Laurie.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:53

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:53
I’ve been using Oztrail dome type tents for years and have found them to be of good quality and lasting. When it comes to the larger standing tents like the Blitz, the price is much greater and so are the alternatives. The Black Wolf Turbo series seem to be very popular but the pinnacle in this arena is the Oztent. I’ve seen these little beauties survive the worst that mother nature intended and remain both standing and dry.

One member on this site (who shall remain nameless… Jack) woke one morning to find his Oztent in the middle of a small lake but due to the deep floor shell, he hadn’t even realised. (Just thought he was back in his waterbed and snored on). The water was 50mm or better up the walls and he and the good wife had remained dry.

The downside is price but then again you would hope that at $600 plus, your investment would last a lifetime. You’ll get that with an Oztent.

Yes it is important to keep your bedding away from the tent walls if it’s a wet or humid environment.

If it’s wet, just make sure it’s dried as soon as possible. I sit mine on a square of 75% shade cloth. It keeps the nasties out of the tent floor yet allows it to breath or drain moisture away and keeps underside of the tent floor clean.

I found this EO thread that might be of some value in your deliberations.

Tent Thread - 83713

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504987

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 20:46

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 20:46
Sssshhhhhhhhhh!!!! You're not supposed to tell anyone.
: )

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 781949

Reply By: Ron173 - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 12:24

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 12:24
Black Wolf.
AnswerID: 504990

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 13:16

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 13:16
Thanks Ron! Black Wolf, huh!

Thanks Mick. An informative reply and an even more informative post that you referenced.

The OzTrail Blitz doesn't seem to get all that much airplay, either good or bad.
AnswerID: 504993

Reply By: Krooznalong - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 14:10

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 14:10
G'day Laurie

My son has had an Oztrail Blitz for a little while now. He's very happy with it. Very easy to set up and pull down. My son also looked at the Black Wolf but there was no comparison on a value for money basis. He's fairly pedantic in doing heaps of research into what he buys. He will not compromise on quality and he was confident the Oztrail was every bit as good as the BW but significantly cheaper.

Last year we did a desert trip and one of the others also had Blitz tent. Because it has such a thick floor they actually found it very hard to pack it up in the mornings because it was so stiff. Mind you they had no option but to cram it into a really tight spot (never seen a vehicle so tightly packed full of "stuff") so if you have plenty of room this may not be such an issue.

Wife and I used an Oztrail canvas touring tent (9'x9') for that desert trip. Also an Oztrail stretcher each - we found some that were lower than normal (still enough room under them for a small suitcase, boots etc) and these meant we were able to stay away from the walls without moving too far towards the middle. We just used the one centre pole for quick and easy setup. Our outfit worked really well.
AnswerID: 504996

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 15:56

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 15:56
"He will not compromise on quality and he was confident the Oztrail was every bit as good as the BW but significantly cheaper."

Thanks Kroozn! Great to hear that!
AnswerID: 505001

Reply By: garry r - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 16:26

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 16:26
I bought one from Southern Cross Canvas in Kilysth Vic ( Pyrimid tent). I also own 2 made to order swags from them as well. Yes they are more expensive But you get what you pay for. They are aussie made from aussie canvas with no problems with warranty. No i have not a vested interest in the company but was told of their products and have never looked back. I would recomend them any day over a cheaper import.
AnswerID: 505005

Reply By: Bega Photographer - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 17:32

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 17:32
G'day Garry!

"I bought one from Southern Cross Canvas in Kilysth Vic ( Pyrimid tent)."

I think that means a pyramid tent by OzTrail. If so, sounds good. Thanks!
AnswerID: 505012

Follow Up By: phantom - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 23:17

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 23:17
Hi BP,
Southern roses are a specific brand of Australian made Canvas tents. They are expensive but my opinion, well worth it. My whole family have had these tents for pver 20 years with no issues. My Brothers tent had a broken Zip that they replaced free of charge even when it was 22 years old.
My wife and I and kids just did a 2 month trip In one of thes and are very happy.

Cheers
FollowupID: 781973

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 09:28

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 09:28
Thanks Phantom! Great info.

I'm pretty much committed to a quick pitch tent. Last trip, we were dragging the chain every morning, the other couple having a camper trailer.

We used the tent for only about ten days when we left the caravan at Broken hill for the rough part of the trip. This time it will be all tent camping, even in the occasional caravan park with a shower and washing machine.
FollowupID: 781987

Reply By: Cole - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 21:16

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 21:16
Hi Laurie.

I had a $100 oz trail dome. When in the wind it would fold flat to the ground.

Cole
AnswerID: 505028

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 09:34

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 09:34
G'day Cole!

Yes, I've been caught out twice in fierce wind in two different dome tents.

Not much fun with the tent pressing on you in the night with every gust.

Thanks,
Laurie.
FollowupID: 781988

Reply By: Agent009 - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:16

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:16
Jet Tent from OzTent.

That is all.
AnswerID: 505289

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 16:52

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 16:52
Thanks Agent!
FollowupID: 782264

Reply By: BekkaW - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 01:14

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 01:14
After much deliberation, and with helpful advice from members on this forum (thanks!), we ended up with the Black Wolf Turbo lite 300 plus....It's getting christened this weekend but we have had a couple of dry runs putting it up and it's so quick and it's huge inside...like the tardis! Hope you find your perfect tent too....
AnswerID: 505661

Follow Up By: Bega Photographer - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 09:23

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 09:23
Thanks for the good wishes, Bekka!

Pleased you've made a good purchase.

I don't know where in Australia you are, but it looks like a bit of rain in my part of the country. Might get well and truly Christened, huh!

Regards,
Laurie.
FollowupID: 782601

Sponsored Links