GoPro Camera Pricing

Hey all, I saw an ad about the GoPro cameras on the site earlier and decided to check it out. I was shocked to see a really awesome price on the GoPro cameras from the US. The Silver was telling me $299 US (our members price is $360 + free overnight freight), we are not even able to buy it from the distributor for that price. So I decided to try to buy it and then quickly found out why the price was so good. They wanted $85 US for shipping and all of a sudden the local pricing seems much better.

So when looking to buy items by all means check out prices but do remember to add the freight into the equation. If you find anything from a reputable (non eBay seller) at better prices let us know and we will match it or better it. Simply use the feedback system and let us know. Also if you are looking for quantity pricing please also let us know.

Have a good one
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 13:39

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 13:39
David,
I and many others watch for this trap and postage from many suppliers in the states is very high (guess this maybe how they make a profit).

This morning I cancelled an order for a deep cycle battery because of this. The advertising is for free freight to many parts of Australia. They charge freight to North Queensland though.

Here is a quote from their ad.

"we do not ship to northern wa , Northern Territory, north qld at this price . Unlike others sellers we don't hide and operate out of a po box so to be in business to serve you over the life of the battery we must charge you a small cost to cover freight."

I then get a please pay $40 freight and I ask why as I live in central Queensland. The answer. Our freight company says anything north of the Sunshine Coast ins North Queensland. My reply was, you can stick your battery sunshine and don't use false advertising.

Grumpy RA.

AnswerID: 504994

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 13:53

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 13:53
Yes it does happen often and I like to ensure our prices are right on everything we sell so when I saw this price I nearly hit the floor but yep the devil is in the detail. You are correct to question your issue, North QLD is not of the Sunshine coast as that would indicate that Brisbane is in North QLD which it is not.

Happy Days
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 781906

Follow Up By: Evakool - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 15:22

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 15:22
Hi David,

Sorry to question you, but the way I read your posts seems to suggest that the Sunshine Coast is South of Brisbane?

The order South to North is Gold Coast, Brisbane then Sunshine Coast.

But I would also suggest North QLD would be further North than the Sunshine Coast, maybe Mackay or Townsville?
FollowupID: 781909

Follow Up By: caseh - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 16:16

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 16:16
The $40 freight from the USA does not seem too bad considering I paid $25 last year to have a battery shipped from Perth to Margaret River WA.
I was perusing EBay USA this morning and found a disclaimer saying the company did not freight to WA, NT or Queensland North of Cairns. Seemed fair to me.

Cheers, Case
FollowupID: 781914

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 16:32

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 16:32
I realise that Queensland is Australia's primary wild lands. So to assist our neighbours in the refined zones of Australia and even in WA (lol) I offer the following.

The coastal zones of Queensland are not officially designated but are generally recognised as follows:

South-East Queensland: Includes Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and up to about Gympie.

Wide Bay-Burnett: Covers Bundaberg, Maryborough.

Central Q: Rockhampton, Gladstone, Mackay.

Northern Q: Centred on Townsville.

Far North Q: From Cairns to Cape York

This obviously does not include the inland regions as no-one lives there.
Does that help?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 781917

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 17:32

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 17:32
Evakool, Oops you are right - keyboard in before brain... and a missing word "north" as well. Thanks

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 781920

Follow Up By: Rockape - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 17:36

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 17:36
Alan,
North Queensland starts north of the Burdiken River and central is south of the Burdiken River.

Case,
I didn't order a battery from the states for $40 freight. I ordered a battery from the south for delivery to central Queensland which by their advertising is freight free.

RA.
FollowupID: 781921

Reply By: River Swaggie - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 17:05

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 17:05
Yeah Dave i reckon the Mafia have there finger in the pie somewhere lol..The U.S Postal charges are atrocious and if they want to lift there game on the Global Market they certainly have to look at there postal charges..I bought 2 mac couplers..They arrived in a box that you could put 50 of them in and i questioned the Australia post guy about it..He thought it was disgraceful too and shook his head, and no wonder the postage was about the same price as the gear that was in it....
AnswerID: 505009

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 17:49

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 17:49
Sorry but we find the US postal system very good, we ship 20-30 parcels per week to Australia from our California business and have no complaints. We use Flat Rate shipping boxes with a maximum weight of 20lbs (9 kg) which costs us $77.00 Priority mail.

Shipping to Oz

In comparison to ship the same item from Australia to the USA the cost is $167.35

So just who is getting ripped off.

It is quite easy to check what the shipping rates should be at www.usps.com also the post office in the USA supplies all the regular sized boxes and shipping envelopes FREE delivered to your address and also picks up free of charge.

FollowupID: 781924

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 20:26

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 20:26
Yes as Lyn says postage from here to the US is twice what you pay from the US to here, especially if using the flat rate boxes.
silver Go Pro Hero 3 cameras are available here in Oz from Kogan for $289
FollowupID: 781947

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 21:27

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 21:27
"So just who is getting ripped off."

Hiya Lyn

Well actually i was..2 pieces that was put in a 9kg box ((19lb). that wouldn't even weigh half a kilogram i reckon (1.6370oz)

Thats really my point..According to the guy that delivered it was a common practise..It was over 5 years ago now so i guess things my have improved or become more expensive..

If i was to send the same package to you just by airmail as i received it,no priority..Up to 20kg for $13.60 to the U.S..I certainly wouldn't have put them in a 9kg box (19lb)..Its just insane

Its a common fact that people that order from like Ebay U.S they are reminded that the savings are killed by postage...
FollowupID: 781950

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 23:03

Monday, Feb 18, 2013 at 23:03
River Swaggie

"Up to 20kg for $13.60 to the U.S"

Not too sure where you're getting your info from but according to the AusPost website the cost to the US would be $335 for Airmail or $200 for Sea Mail.

As we spend at least $2500 per week on Postage we are pretty tuned into shipping costs, we have even tried bulk shipping through a service in Hong Kong but it added a week to the delivery which was unacceptable. Amazon bulk ships through a company in Melbourne But then there is the added step of a commercial entry though Aust Customs.

Sorry you had trouble shipping from the US but I don't feel that the US Postal system was to blame.
FollowupID: 781971

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 13:45

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 13:45
I went to the Australia Post site,looked under International to the U.S....

Another thing i didn't mention before is dollar parity..When we were at 50 cents in the dollar to the U.S or even 75 cents your postage wasn't looking great even then...

Priority postage is always going to attract a higher price...Anyway we'll have to agree to disagree...

All The Best..
FollowupID: 782009

Follow Up By: Lyn W3 - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 14:39

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 14:39
River Swaggie

Sorry but you've lost me in your costings and rational.

Cheers

Lyn
FollowupID: 782013

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 22:15

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 22:15
David,

You don't appear to have the GoPro Hero 3 Black avaiable yet.

Di
AnswerID: 505126

Sponsored Links