New versions of OziExplorer released

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 09:36
ThreadID: 100629 Views:4543 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,

New versions of OziExplorer, OziExplorer3D, OziExplorerCE, OziExplorer for Android, Img2ozf and Mapmerge have been released.

Go to the OziExplorer Webpage for details and downloads.

Seems the main change has been the introduction of a new image format - OZF4 (created using latest version of img2ozf and Mapmerge). This new format will only work in the new versions of the software. But its OK - the old image formats (Ozf2 and Ozfx3) will still work (along with any other supported formats), and I suppose there is no need to update at all if the ship is running smoothly, though there have been some "minor fixes" across the range.

Update for Android users (to 1.19) is probably most important as being in beta stage, improvements/fixes are more significant.

Prior to updating I would recommend keeping a backup of your old versions (if you have the original install files) in case you want to back track at some stage.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 16 Moderator

Reply By: equinox - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 22:54

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 22:54
Thanks,
I wish modification to map files in Oziexplorer would show up in Android.
If this isn't fixed in a month or so I'm ditching Android, or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 505416

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 00:41

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 00:41
Hi

Not sure what you mean by "wish modification to map files in Oziexplorer would show up in Android". Can you elaborate?

Also please note that Android was updated yet again (to version 1.20) since I posted this thread.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782347

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 01:46

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 01:46
Hi Greg,

Map comments (the Green box with the C in it)
These save to the map file.

Thanks for the update info - have uploaded 1.20, still doesn't work.
Have reindexed the maps.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782348

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 10:13

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 10:13
...Yes I can confirm that map comments are not displayed on the Android version of Ozi (V1.20 beta). Suppose it is one of the several features found on PC and CE versions that is not yet implemented.

Only way to a real solution is to make a request to the OziExplorer crew for the feature to be added...and then wait....or use PC/CE version :)

Plan B - There is a "workaround" which may or may not be a solution in your instance.

This involves opening the map you want in Ozi PC - map comments displayed. Then save the image to a new image file using FILE -> Save Map to Image File -> Colour Image. Type in file name with *.bmp or *.png extension (I suggest *.png). A new image file will be created with the map comments embedded in the image!

Make a copy the original *.map file for the image and edit it using a text editor to refer to newly created image file name (I am assuming you know how to do this - it is easy) - map can then be displayed in OziExplorer - check calibration - should be spot on.

Then convert png image to ozf3 or 4 using img2ozf, load to android device and go traveling.

This sounds a bit complicated but you can actually do a map in just a few minutes (excluding conversion to ozf - you can bulk convert so that is easy anyway).

Appreciate that if you have lots of maps this could be a bit painful. Also, depending, you could lose image/comment resolution during initial conversion - the map I tried looked fine.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782357

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 22:49

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 22:49
Thanks for that Greg,

Took a couple of goes to get it right but ended up with the comments visible in Android after your "workaround".

The comments lose quality with zooming but is acceptable. Calibration seems Ok.

I've only done one map, will wait to see if the Ozi people get around to adding this feature to Ozi without the "workaround", if not I'll convert my other maps the way you suggested before I need them.

You're the EO Ozi man!!!!!

Regards
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782412

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 23:22

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 23:22
No worries,

It was just an idea I had after you posted the problem, tried it and it worked..

I would prefer to be regarded as just a subordinate member of the "EO Ozi team", if possible :)

Combined knowledge rules.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782415

Sponsored Links