Is there an idiot’s guide on how to customise a 4x4

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 21:18
ThreadID: 10063 Views:2768 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I’ve got a stock 97 Range Rover and pushed it as far as the wife will let me off road but the bug has hit me. I’m getting myself a Patrol 3.0TD but, as they come from the factory, they are okay but, reading all the mags on 4x4s I want to play/tour with the thing in the dirt.

All the articles I’ve read make an assumption that the reader has had some experience in setting up a 4x4 for playing in the real dirt and living out of an Engel 40lt fridge for a week.

I’m not looking to setup a vehicle for a full on tour of the deep red but, one I would like to.

So, is there somewhere that I can go to, to work out what kit I should add in what order to give me an ever increasing capability?

Some stuff is fairly obvious, like when would I need a fridge rather than a larger cool book. I’m more interested in the “best practise” approach to moving up the capability ladder and not trying to run before I can walk (or rock crawl).

Has anyone see something where a person has written up a conversion story on a vehicle from scratch over a period of time? I not worried about what vehicle is used or the make of the equipment, more they approach they took and the order they did things in.

I know half the fun is in the trying but, its expensive kit and I do not want to waste time/money if I can learn from those before me?

Can anyone recommend a good club, with a heavy Patrol influence, to the East of Melbourne? I’m based at the end of the Eastern Freeway.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 21:49

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 21:49
Stick with the Rangie ... it'll go further.

................ ;-DFidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 44540

Follow Up By: Brian - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:11

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:11
Best 4X4 by Far!!!

Brian
FollowupID: 306714

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:14

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:14
You could give the rangie a further push
Over a cliff would be a good start Just joking, couldn't resist the opening.Dare to Lead not to Follow
FollowupID: 306715

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:18

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:18
This time I agree with you Ross......:-)
Willem

Googs Lake camp
FollowupID: 306718

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 18:23

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 18:23
Best 4x4x$x$!!!If you hold your heart and focus,
you will end up holding your dream
FollowupID: 306796

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 19:34

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 19:34
Mine was cheaper to run than my Patrol!

Brian
FollowupID: 306802

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 21:50

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 21:50
Glyn.
Welcome to the groop. Most mods on vehicles are for show. very few actually improve the vehicles over all performance. The engineers that design vehicles spend millions optimizing every detial and complying with the design rules, so if you want to improve the efectiveness of the vehicle rather than the appearance you will be best advised to do a driver training coarse and look for proof of cliams in improved ability.
I have worked in R+ D for many years and have not found very many mods to do what the salesmen cliam. Eric.
AnswerID: 44541

Reply By: macandjen - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 21:58

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 21:58
Glyn, you may want to consider the Yarra Valley Four Wheel Drive Club - great family club, lots of patrols and good driver training from basic up - the members have spent quite a bit of time explaining to me that you dont have to spend millions - take your time and work out what you need as you go along. I agree that driver training is the first thing you need to undertake - contact Four Wheel Drive Victoria for instructors outside the club. Enjoy mate.
AnswerID: 44545

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:00

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:00
>> I’ve got a stock 97 Range Rover and pushed it as far as the wife will let me off road but the bug has hit me. I’m getting myself a Patrol 3.0TD but, as they come from the factory, they are okay but, reading all the mags on 4x4s I want to play/tour with the thing in the dirt.

Get the 4.2 GU to start with.

>>> All the articles I’ve read make an assumption that the reader has had some experience in setting up a 4x4 for playing in the real dirt and living out of an Engel 40lt fridge for a week.

All depends on what you want to do with the car, how serious you want to be.

>>> I’m not looking to setup a vehicle for a full on tour of the deep red but, one I would like to.
The GU would be the tourer, the Rangie the hack.

>>> So, is there somewhere that I can go to, to work out what kit I should add in what order to give me an ever increasing capability?

Rangie Auto in Melb is a good start, www.outerlimits4x4.com heaps of places, you need to figure out what you want to do with each, and setup a budget for both.. To setup the GU for outback touring will be $10k at least, to setup rangie for SERIOUS offroad work will be $5-10k....

>>> Has anyone see something where a person has written up a conversion story on a vehicle from scratch over a period of time? I not worried about what vehicle is used or the make of the equipment, more they approach they took and the order they did things in.

Theres a thread on outerlimits on this at the moment.

>>> I know half the fun is in the trying but, its expensive kit and I do not want to waste time/money if I can learn from those before me?

Work out which does what first.

>>> Can anyone recommend a good club, with a heavy Patrol influence, to the East of Melbourne? I’m based at the end of the Eastern Freeway.

Nissan club Vic, meeting tomorrow night.

Meetings are held first Wednesdays at ~ 7.30pm.
Aline Burgess Hall,
English Language Center
Cnr Thomas and Douglas St's
Noble Park
Melways 89 F3

AnswerID: 44547

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:29

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:29
First of all you are intent on buying a vehicle which is fast getting the reputation of being the Ford Edsel of the new millenium.....

To go bush you need

A reliable vehicle
Extra fuel capacity
Communications gear
Recovery gear
Enough water
Something to sleep in or on or with
Enough tucker and a tin opener
Tyre repairs
Some spares
A bucket
A Shovel
First aid kit
Some common sense

You don't need

A fridge
A GPS
A Laptop
A DVD player
An Instant in-car hot shower
and a host of other crappy toys

Have fun.

Willem

Googs Lake camp
AnswerID: 44561

Follow Up By: Diamond(due to duck season) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:57

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:57
sorry willem
i must disagree with you here.

You don't need
A fridge (when the new car breaks down how do you keep the beer cold)
A GPS(to let your service centre know where you are)
A Laptop(to conect to exploroz and tell the forom about another new car break down)
A DVD player(keep the kids quiet while waiting for a tow to the dealer for repairs)
An Instant in-car hot shower(if its going to be a while before a tow think of the smell)
and a host of other crappy toys(toys are needed when the dvd stops working because the bataries gone flat)
lol
cheers mate
due to duck season coming
ive decided to hide out
love jemima puddle duck
back after the season
FollowupID: 306725

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 16:43

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 16:43
Willem, I'd like to see you get Lex camping with out the hot shower, it's worth the cost for the peace i get. I agree gps laptop are not necessary but they make navigation easy. A as puddle duck said the fridge is a must for the beer.Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 306783

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 17:54

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 17:54
Jim, I think that you have been spoilt....lol

Bob, a plastic shower will do the trick as well. Before all the navigational tools came along we went bush with a compass and common sense and found our way there and back.

Anyway fellas, I said you didn't NEED this stuff...I still HAVE most of it tho.......:-)))

Cheers,Willem

Googs Lake camp
FollowupID: 306792

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 23:00

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 23:00
Glyn,

These questions are asked of us often - Have you read through the Vehicle Setup Accessories section of the site. Click on Accessories in Topic search. Sure we have the full gamit of stuff that you can jam in your vehicle but we have all the stuff that is required and we have it all explained in the Accessories section - We used to call it the Vehicle Setup Feature but have now rolled it into the Accessories Topic Search. This was originally published in week by week setup of our new vehicle from stock 80 series to our current travelling machine. Also If you have not read our travel journals (Now this is not for the faint hearted - Over 500 pages of content) you will find info on what we did with our current and our past vehicles from our experiences on the road. Have a look in Trip Planning - Travel Journals if you have not already.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
AnswerID: 44572

Sponsored Links