Well Thanks

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 12:16
ThreadID: 100633 Views:3673 Replies:13 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
Some of you may have already noticed and some of you may not but look over to the right of this thread and you will see a new button called "Thanks". It is available in all threads and on each part (thread, reply & follow-up).

So what is the Thanks button all about, well thanks for asking. This new tool is designed to allow you to provide a level of feedback to the poster without having to write a reply.

So when do you use it? Well any-time you see a posting that you either think is good, correct or has helped you in anyway then why not send the poster a Thanks.

What happens when you press it? The system will change the Thanks button into a Thanked button and change it's colour to Orange (this indicates that you have press it). If you press it again it will remove your Thanks. The poster will be sent an email alert (if Forum Alerts are enabled in their profile) only when the Thanks button is pressed, it does not send them an alert if you remove the thanks. Additionally the system will not send an alert if a thanks is recorded in an archived thread, but you can still use the button in the Archives.

Who has Thanked? Each Thanks is recorded and if you hover your mouse over the Thanks or Thanked button you will see a list of all people that have sent a Thanks.

So why not give it a go in this thread if you like and test it out. Maybe you would like to thank me for writing the Thanks system and maybe not but thanks for reading and thanks for using ExplorOz.

Thanks
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 136 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 13:18

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 13:18
it is a "Like" button hahah, next people will want a "un-thanks" but all aside it is a good idea and people did ask for it a while back ..
Cheers
joe

I will say "thanks" for the system working so well now and all credit goes to you guys, well done and thanks
:-)
AnswerID: 505061

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 13:31

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 13:31
Joe,

Yes it is a Like button of sorts but not borrowing the same name. Basically it works just the same as the Facebook Like button you are correct.

We discussed the "un-thanks", "bugger off" or "no thanks" option but really I can only see this becoming a problem and possibly alienating people. You can remove your thanks and that is all at the moment.

We will see what the feedback from this addition is.

Thanks for the feedback also. I will press the Thanks....
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782007

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 09:03

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 09:03
This is another excellent idea David as there have been many times where I appreciate the information from several sources within a thread but don't want to get involved in a discussion - this is a better option.

Regards
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782721

Reply By: Krooznalong - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 14:16

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 14:16
Nice idea guys.

At time of responding there were 32 likes but not 32 names on list??

I suppose there's a lot of work in setting these things up so the following suggestion may be too much trouble. How about a drop-down list of thanks to choose from eg Thanks - I found post useful; Thanks for taking the time to respond; etc.

Anyway Thanks for constantly seeking to improve the site.
AnswerID: 505065

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 14:53

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 14:53
Hi

I just did a count then - 40 Thanks and 40 names ..so it does work.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 782014

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 19:09

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 19:09
Krooznalong,

That is a good idea, would you expect it just to send this in the email alert or have the thanks grouped by the thanks type?

The count should be right but it could be more shown in the list than according to the button number - the button number is only loaded when the page is drawn and some people may hit the Thanks button while you are on the page and when you hover it will show the extra names.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782040

Reply By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 14:52

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 14:52
I thanked myself and received a nice email from a clever and appreciative bloke but I think I'd like to block him. :-) Any work in that line being considered David?

Seriously though I don't mind getting followup emails but I'm not too keen on proforma messages of thanks, as simple as they are to dlete and as rare as they are likely to be. Could we get another option added to the login preferences to get one but not the other? (A programmer's work is never finished as you know).

But thanks anyway, I like the concept.
AnswerID: 505069

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 18:59

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 18:59
I will look into this. I am also wondering how many times it will get triggered in the long run - my inbox is full today but need to see how it goes over the next week or so.

Thanks for the feedback.
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782035

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 19:10

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 19:10
Oh and I will put in a self gratification exclusion system to stop people thanking themselves....

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782041

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:54

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:54
Bazooka the option to unsubscribe from Forum Action Emails has been installed - Open up the Account tab above and check/uncheck the option in the lower right hand side for Forum Action Emails or use the unsubscribe option at the end of one of the Thanks emails and this will do the same thing.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782111

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 16:17

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 16:17
Just what I've been waiting for David, I'm a regular FBer and find the 'like' button very handy... I for one applaud this...... I might overuse it though LOL

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505078

Reply By: brushmarx - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 16:30

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 16:30
My computer appears to have a problem now.
My EDIT button seems to have gone missing, but thanks for the THANKS button anyway.
But...........if I say thanks here, and also press the Thanks button, do both actions cancel each other or magnify the thanks?
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505080

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:07

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:07
I think it means the next step is flowers, chocolates and a date. :-)
FollowupID: 782022

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 20:17

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 20:17
Brushmarks, Personally speaking, I don't want a date with David, he's not my type. Nor do I want a date with Michelle as she would probably have to bring the kids along and then it would be difficult to have that deap and meaningful chat with her. LOL She could come if she left the kids with David but a word of warning. I don't share chocolate. Flowers don't work for me either as when I used to give them to the Missus, she would always throw them out after a few weeks anyway.
And no need to thank me for my response. I did it out of the goodness of my humble heart.
Cheers
Des.
FollowupID: 782047

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:13

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:13
what about me? :).....thanked you but not listed...I hit the refresh so is there an issue with the new function?

good idea tho

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 505087

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:27

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 17:27
Nope works fine - you are listed ....

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782024

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 18:57

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 18:57
Bungarra,

If you have thanked you will appear first when you look at the list and it was say You and xxxx, xxxx.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782033

Follow Up By: Phil V (SA) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 19:31

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 19:31
Nope, doesn't work for me, just spins and doesn't show anything.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 782401

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 20:20

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 20:20
Nope ..it works fine ..if not problem is your end.

One issue ...

The more "thanks".. the more time it takes. If your internet is relatively slow, you will need to hover your mouse pointer over the "thanks" a little longer (we are talking seconds here) to see the list of "thankers" :)

Your specific issue? Cant tell..but again, works OK for others.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782403

Follow Up By: Phil V (SA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:19

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:19
Hi Explorer
Must be my end then. Can leave the mouse pointer over the thanks button as long as you like but all I get is the "wheel" spinning continuously until you shift it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 782426

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 18:30

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 18:30

Neat idea, but if I really wanted to express "thanks" I would rather do it directly in a "Follow-Up". So thanks for nothing!

What's next? Maybe a Monthly Award for the Member receiving the most "Thanks"?
Or Maybe we can have "Friends" as on Facebook? Ughh, No thanks!!

But thanks anyway David.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 505094

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 19:15

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 19:15
I do have a plan for a system called mates! Which was designed to allow you to group your mates but I do not have enough so have not done it yet - Thanks....

You are of course most welcome to express your thanks directly but the button does allow for a simple one click function when the posting was helpful but does not warrant a direct reply.

I think this post will have the most thanks for a while.....

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782042

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 19:40

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 19:40
".......but I do not have enough mates........" That's a LOL David.
And I meant to put a "LOL" at the end of my post above.

Honestly, I think a lot of members will utilise it. I know quite a few asked for it.
Then there are others who are "just askin' for it" LOL

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 782043

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 19:46

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 19:46
David I like the idea. Although some may see it as a little impersonal, if one doesn't take the time to drop a couple of lines.

I don't know how much work, or impact it'll have on your systems, but I think something that'll be equally useful would be the apperance of an `agree' button and a 'disagree' button.

Many times I've read posts that I'd like to support the views etc. and a simple acknowledgement could work better than me having to type a whole piece of dialogue and basically type in again, what someone has already written.

Hope this doesn't come across as critical as that's not my intention. Only trying to be helpful.

All the best

Phill
AnswerID: 505104

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 21:58

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 21:58
Phill,

This is the intention of the Thanks button - it is meant to be an agree action also - but really I do not want to have heaps of buttons for agree, disagree, thanks, helped etc. I was looking to try to cover as many bases as possible with the one.

Does this make sense? Maybe a wording change on the button maybe Thanks/Agree or maybe as someone above has mentioned have a select list of actions for the Thanks so when click it could ask you one more questions about what type of thanks (Agree, It Helped Me, It Saved My Life, etc).

I do not want more work but can look into this if there is enough feedback.

I do however believe I will need to put a profile checkbox to stop the Thanks alert emails maybe I should send then or offer a daily digest or something?

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782055

Follow Up By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 07:42

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 07:42
Hi David,
I agree with Phill about having a separate Agree/Disagree button from the thanks button. There would be heaps of times when I would like to thank someone for being helpful, but not necessarily be able to agree with their answer if I didnt know if they were actually correct or not!
Cheers
Leanne
FollowupID: 782065

Follow Up By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 08:16

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 08:16
I see where you are coming from David, but unfortunately I'd have to say that the meanings of thanks/agree/disagree are to far away in meaning so can't serve the same purpose.
Please don't take my comments as trying to pour water on your forward thinking. It all about trying and testing to ultimately find out what works.

Keep up the good work.
Cheers

Phill
FollowupID: 782066

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:19

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:19
Ok thanks I agree and understand what you are saying I will look into this and see if I can make it work nicely without looking like a button-fest.

Now that I have the logic sorted for the thanks the agree/disagree would just be a duplicate of the logic.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782084

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 20:23

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 20:23
David, I think the idea of a simple Thanks for whatever is a good idea, but personally, I don't want 239 emails thanking me cos i'm such a nice unassuming bloke.
AnswerID: 505110

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 22:00

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 22:00
Des,
I will implement a profile flag to limit this tomorrow so you will be able to turn off the alert. I am also thinking of doing a daily digest but this would be some time down the track.
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782056

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:42

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:42
Des the option to unsubscribe from Forum Action Emails has been installed - Open up the Account tab above and check/uncheck the option in the lower right hand side for Forum Action Emails or use the unsubscribe option at the end of one of the Thanks emails and this will do the same thing.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782107

Reply By: nootsa200873 - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 21:36

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 21:36
Thanks for the opportunity to thank you and all the helpful people on this forum. We have only been on the camping thing for a couple of years now, and ExplorOz has been there for information on most of our trips. We also have just bought a 100 series Landcruiser , and with your help, we bought the right one! So, well, thanks!
Cheers Chris.
AnswerID: 505119

Reply By: Andrew & Jen - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 21:51

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 21:51
Hullo David & Michelle
Would it be possible to extend this to blog posts?
Many people put a lot of effort into keeping a log and then creating an interesting blog full of information - sights to see, camping spots, photos, road conditions, etc.
Often a blog is read by many hundreds of members and visitors, most of whom don't have a specific comment but none the less may have appreciated what they have read.
I personally would find this useful to acknowledge the time and effort - just a "thanks" would do.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 505348

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:27

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:27
This Thanks/Like button I suppose is a sign of the times where the majority are now too lazy to type a few words to say just that. I only hope it doesn't backfire with some choosing to take the easy option to say "Thanks" who in the past may have taken the time to actually respond.
I can't for the life of me understand though why anyone would want an email alerting them to the fact someone has hit the button, so thanks for the unsubscibe option.
Cheers Craig................
AnswerID: 505439

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:48

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 13:48
Craig, I was about to hit the "Thanks" button on your reply but then I found that I could not add "LOL". So I didn't. LOL

So let me declare, here and now, that like Craig I have deselected receiving "Thanks" by email, so don't bother sending 'Automated Thanks' to me guys.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 782382

Reply By: Member - David M (SA) - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 09:33

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 09:33
Can we have a funny/ not funny button on the Friday Funnies.
Cheers,Dave.
AnswerID: 505796

Sponsored Links