Full length roof rack placement/removal

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 22:45
ThreadID: 100655 Views:2037 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. I have a full length steel roof rack on my 100 series Cruiser and as the wife and I are both a bit on the short side and it's heavy find it very difficult to lift it on and off.
Yes I could just leave it on all the time but if the need arises can anyone suggest an easier way for us to carry out the operation?
At present we use a series of ladders and chairs and boxes etc. to reach up and walk it off to the rear.

Thanks

Terry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Chris & Sue (Briz Vegas) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 23:17

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 23:17
Hi Terry,

A mate of mine stores his roof rack in the ceiling of his garage and when needed, he lowers it via a couple of ropes and pulleys. Sounds more complicated than it really is, but he can do it on his own.

Cheers,
Chris
AnswerID: 505133

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 23:19

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 23:19
Hi Terry

In my previous property, I used a simple pulley system attached to the roof of my shed. Much the same as pot racks or laundry drying racks but on a slightly bigger scale.

Four large hooks screwed into the roof timbers, "Riley" pulley's attached to the hooks (you will need some double pulleys), some good rope - I used some of my old climbing rope (12mm) with some straps and pulleys to attach (temp) to the roof rack.

Drive under, undo the bolts attach the temp straps and pulleys and lift up. You could either secure the rope and leave the rack suspended (I did this sometimes) or drive out and lower to the floor and store elsewhere. Reverse the above to put back on.

I was able to do this without the help of the "Nagivator".

If you think this could work for you, send me a MM and I will do a drawing for you.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 505134

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 23:57

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 23:57
I used a couple of pulleys and a boat winch attached to the garage wall to lift my roof top tent off my Landcruiser.
Attached the cables to the mounting points on the frame of the tent and wound it up a couple of feet off the car until next trip.

cheers
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 505135

Reply By: Krooznalong - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:14

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:14
As others have said - hung from garage ceiling using pulleys is the way to go. Once you have it set up it will be a lot easier than what you now do.
AnswerID: 505179

Reply By: terryj2 - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 00:35

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 00:35
Thank you all for your suggestions.

It seems the roof/rope/pulley idea is the way to go.

I will study the situation.

Terryj2
AnswerID: 505224

Sponsored Links