A/T Tyres for 2011 model Pajero

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 06:14
ThreadID: 100660 Views:10733 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

We will soon have to replace the tyres which came with our Pajero in September 2011 when we bought it new, and would like to hear from any owners as to which A/T tyres you have fitted.
We have been happy with BF Goodrich brand on previous vehicles but it seems there isn't one which fits this model...takes 18"...or so we have been told.

Our current ones have done 40,000 kms some of it over stony, corrugated dirt last year and were surprisingly robust, but don't have a lot of tread left and we are soon off on a 6 month trip to the west coast and then NT towing our 2.5 tonne van.

Hoping someone can help without this getting into a debate on Cooper versus BF Goodrich! LOL

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 06:34

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 06:34
Hi Heather. Unless you intend to drive into extreme 4wd territory or possibly very muddy conditions, I would stick with road tyres as were originally fitted.Possibly not the same brand but similar construction.
I have a Prado so the size is 17" but I had BFG's on for a trip to Silverton last year. They were a much harsher feeling tyre than the original. I have now gone to Yokohama G902 road tyres and feel they are much better for all round driving and towing our 2.4tonne van. The car rides and handles like it should with the advantage that they are quiet. I still have the BFG's on a spare set of rims but it is looking more likely that I will sell them before I use them again. Cheers, Bob.
AnswerID: 505141

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 06:41

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 06:41
Thanks Bob,
the current ones are A/T's...and we had thought of sticking with them after towing the van over the stony tracks to Innamincka and outback NSW last year without any problems but just wondering what others use if we decide to change.

cheers Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782063

Reply By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 07:13

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 07:13
Hi Heather,
I have a 2008 Pajero, that had 18" rims. I had difficulty finding AT tyres for it so changed the rims to 17" and had much more choice. I now have 17" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ tyres and so far have done 60000 Kms with them. They still have a fair amount of tread depth.
There may be more 18" AT tyres now than when I was looking, but there probably won't be much to choose from. I also found that 17" tyres were cheaper (which is another reason why I changed to 17" rims) but not sure if that is still the case.
Leanne
AnswerID: 505144

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 08:25

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 08:25
Heather,
The Bridgestone D697 tyres get a pretty good rap from users and they make one in 18 inch. Here is the spec on them. (265/60R18) 114S 775mm High.

I have BFG's with Cooper stickers and a Cat tyre pressure gauge + Michelin tubes just in case. LOL.

I don't know if these tyres are to big for you Paj.

You normally get a pretty good price of JAX tyres no blah, blah, blah affiliation.

RA.

AnswerID: 505146

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 08:49

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 08:49
Hi Heather. I have priced Bridgestone Dueller 697s from both JaxQuickfit and Bridgestone Select. Bridgestone is beating Jax by about $40 per tyre. They are beating Bob Jane by around $65 per tyre. I was told that Bridgestone Select buy Bridgestone tyres at a better price than the others.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 782067

Reply By: NTVRX - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 08:46

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 08:46
Hi Heather, I took the Yokohama Geo 12's off my Vr-x which has 18 inch rims & rather than go to the expense of purchasing 17 " rims I found a web site for Tire Rack in the USA. They have sold numerous tyres to aussies. When I priced the BFG in Sydney they were $550 a corner plus $149 frieght. Tire Rack will give you a quote from Fedex delivery direct to your door. After transferring the money,the tyres were at my door in 6 days.....PRICE...$238 per tyre!!! I had the tyres fitted & four wheel balance for $100 by local tyre fitter. Each tyre was individually wrapped & insurance. Robert.
AnswerID: 505148

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 15:18

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 15:18
Heather, I'm not much use to you as I swapped rims to 17in before our Pajero left the show room.
You will get a lot of comments on Brand A Vs B etc., and what is the best tyre, but few commenting on best value tyres. I can't fault the set of Coopers we had, they appeared to work as well as the Bridgestone Duellers I'd had, it's just that I can buy Dueller 697s a lot cheaper is why I stick with them.
I'd suggest you draw up a short list, then select the best priced
If possible towing a heavy van, if possible get LT "spec tyres.
AnswerID: 505184

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 15:53

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 15:53
Yeah...we didnt give the tyre/rim size a thought when we bought it....maybe we will stick with the same as we currently have when we need a new set...will only have to get 4 then too.
Not fussed as to which brand either. We are careful about dropping pressures in car and van tyres on dirt roads and so far have not had a problem regardless of what we have.
The dueller 697s have been mentioned by a few people so far so we will look at those for sure.
thanks Mark.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782118

Reply By: dazza62 - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 17:32

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 17:32
75,000 kms from Goodyear Wangler AT's on a 2007 VRX with 18 inch rims. Only problem is price of these has gone through the roof. Seriously considering getting a spare set of 18's with Highway Tyres for my regular driving.
AnswerID: 505194

Sponsored Links