new member ; dual battery set up

Hi all, can anyone help? more ???s
in process of buying 150 series Prado
we bush camp, maybe sit around for several days. want to run solar panel, frig and lights for longer rather than shorter periods.
Will a 100+ amp AGM battery fit under the bonnet or does it go in rear compartment? very confusing ,getting conflicting advice from auto shops as to where it will or won't fit.
really appreciate some advice .all this electrial stuff is mind boggling. just want a reliable system to provide the necessary power for our needs, and have the AGM battery housed securely in the right place.
thanks Pandora.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 13:29

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 13:29
If you do a search , you will find lots of good info on this subject on the this site .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 505173

Follow Up By: Member - pandora - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:36

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:36
thanks Nick, could be spending more time on the computer than in the prado!
FollowupID: 782105

Reply By: Krooznalong - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:01

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:01
Have a squizz on PradoPoint - best source for Prado related questions.
AnswerID: 505177

Follow Up By: Member - pandora - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:38

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:38
thanks, just registered at Pradopoint,
looks like lots of searching ahead, but best to do the homework.
FollowupID: 782106

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:04

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:04
Hi Pandora,
A couple of articles that cover this subject are in the 'Articles' section of this site here and and here.
Also an excellent and comprehensive blog "Electricity for Camping" by John & Val is here.
Try reading these for the answers you seek and then if needed ask specific questions on this forum.
You will get plenty of help.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 505178

Follow Up By: Member - pandora - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:45

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 14:45
Thanks Allan,
will follow up on those articles. really pleased and appreciative for all the advice from you all.
FollowupID: 782108

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 18:13

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 18:13
Hi Pandora,

The most practical method is to install the auxiliary battery in the rear, contained in a battery box.

The box I recommend is the Sidewinder Flyer.

Derek is an advertiser on this site.
The Flyer is a fully contained battery box, incorporating an isolator to protect your starting battery and comes with all cabling etc. to perform the installation with the correct cables and connectors.

You just add a battery (AGM is the safest to install in the box) and the flyer will take up to a 140Ah AGM battery.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 505196

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 18:41

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 18:41
Pandora, What Bill hasn't told you is that the value of placing the auxiliary battery in the rear of the vehicle is that it is away from the heat of the engine bay. AGM batteries do not like heat and in the engine bay its life will be shortened to as much as half or worse. Just be sure that it is well fastened down. In the event of a sudden stop or rollover you definitely do not want a large battery loose in the cabin.

The other advantage to having the battery in the rear of the vehicle is that it will be closer to the fridge and so reduce losses due to voltage-drop from the engine bay. This will only be of advantage if you employ a DC-DC charger at the battery location. In this case I would not purchase a 'Sidewinder Flyer" but rather one of ABR Sidewinder's Battery Boxes and a battery-to-battery charger similar to the 12v 30A one on this page.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 782135

Follow Up By: Member - pandora - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 22:41

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2013 at 22:41
thanks Sandman and for more info from you Allan.
I have spent hours here on the computer following up with everyones helpful advice, but certainly well worth the time spent as I now have a basic, laypersons understanding of the issue and the wheres and whys of it all.
I have no expertise in DIY , so have to rely on after market 4x4 shops to fit all the gear for me.
I was told that it would be ok to instal the AGM battery in the engine bay and was quoted a price for this.
obviously this is not the best way to go,especially with the heat issue, it baffles me that they would even suggest this bad option. so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
just goes to show you have to do your homework.
thank goodness for this site and people willing to help each other. it can be a minefild out there.
FollowupID: 782163

Sponsored Links