Satellite t.v

Hi guy's we are thinking about getting a satellite t.v can any one tell us the best one to get we are in w.a also if you had dealings with any one over here and any tips would be great. Thank you Allen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 08:30

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 08:30
Depends on what you are after.

There is the free VAST system, well free to the extent that you don't have to pay a subscription but the box is around $275. You also need dish and cables.

This gets you all the commercial channels around Aus.

Then there are the subscription systems but I don't know anything about them.

AnswerID: 505228

Reply By: K&FT - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 09:23

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 09:23
G'day Allen,

If you are looking for a kit I would suggest you have a look at "satplus" or "Satgear" websites. Both are suppliers of quality equipment and provide good backup support.

basically you will need the following:
satellite dish-85cm provides easier aiming and works better in rain

satfinder, I would recommend a SF3239 or similar to make finding the right sat easier.

VAST receiver- at the moment there is only one approved unit available the UEC DSD 4121 also available with PVR function.

Cables to connect it all.

I would recommend a tripod to mount the dish as they are easier to aim while standing up unless you have the dollars to buy a roof mounted auto dish(around $3k) but you would then need to always park with a clear view of the northern sky.

A quality kit could be from $450-$700 depending on where you shop.

hope that helps
frank
AnswerID: 505229

Follow Up By: Member - daz (SA) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:23

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:23
There is also a nice little app on Wiki camps Australia whiich gives, satellite elevation, positioning & the LNB screw required.
Very handy, saves a lot of frustration as first off sat users usually have a bit of hair pulling.
daz
FollowupID: 782183

Follow Up By: Member - Ups and Downs - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 21:44

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 21:44
There is an IPhone app also that works well.

Paul
FollowupID: 782210

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 14:08

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 14:08
Hi Allen

The other replies you have received pretty well cover it.

We bought our system from Access Antennas & Satellites,16 Sundercombe St, Osborne Park.

http://www.accessantennas.com.au/

I found them helpful and they are happy to advise you over the phone if you have a problem. They provided a CD and booklet that spell it out clearly and gives you the co-ordinates that you will need to find the satellite as you travel. Other people who I have spoken to bought systems from other dealers and received no documentation and had problems.

No affiliation just a happy customer as far as their service goes.

When we bought ours we thought we would get plenty of use from it. We carted it around the Kimberly and only used it a few times. To be honest it was a pain in the butt. If you are continualy on the move it is only a problem. If you are staying in one place for some time it would be a better option.

Some thought needs to be given as to where you will store the dish, legs and TV.

Hope that is of some help.
AnswerID: 505239

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:18

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:18
yeah, another vote for Access. Very helpful and good value.
You can order a kit with everything you need.

Cheers
Al
FollowupID: 782191

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:34

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:34
If you want TV in locations other than largish settlements then VAST is the only way to go. I have a mast on the A frame so that is where the dish travels. The TV is mounted on a ceiling fitting and can fold up out of the way. We found it is less trouble to set up than trying to fiddle around to maybe get terrestrial TV.
We got ours from Satplus about 3 years ago when VAST first started and had good service, not that we had any after sales problems.
FollowupID: 782194

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:10

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:10
I have one from Access Antenna’s in Osborne Park.
They replaced the 250V power board in the Vast decoder with a 12V module – uses about half the power compared to running it through an inverter.
I found them good people to deal with.
I don’t find it a pain to setup and the wife uses it each day when we are travelling (about 5 months a year).
AnswerID: 505247

Reply By: landseka - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 23:07

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 23:07
Once you get the knack of setting it up you will wonder how you did without it.

Even if we only do an over-nighter I always pop the dish up. Only takes a few minutes.

I got our gear through Sat Plus, always had good dealings with them.

The tripod travels in the tunnel boot, dish on the bed. I have an alum post mounted on the draw-bar and the dish goes on that unless we park under trees.

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 505266

Reply By: Member - johntoyo - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 00:33

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 00:33
If your south of river try Sciteq in Canning Vale. As others have mentioned UEC is the only producer of Vast units, (digital services) with Analog getting turned off from March to Sept this year. UEC are supposed to have a twin tuner unit out next month so perhaps worth waiting a while.

Try this site www.digitalready.gov.au

Good viewing.
AnswerID: 505356

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 08:20

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 08:20
Good news for all those waiting for a 12V VAST TV decoder. UEC has released a 12V, dual tuner VAST decoder. UEC VAST 12v, Dual Tuner Decoder Price is about $600.

Some people may a bit dubious that is made by UEC so may have to wait a bit longer for a couple of others, Humax and Phoenix, due to be released in the next month or so.
FollowupID: 782303

Reply By: vicex - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 10:56

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 10:56
Thank's for yor help so far KEEP IT COMING. With the dish is bigger better and why
I see I tech have a model with a fold down stand any thoughts on these. Thanks
AnswerID: 505369

Follow Up By: K&FT - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 11:49

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 11:49
If you are really stuck for room to store the dish the "ground mount" is more compact. I find having to bend over or get down on my knees a real pain these days which is why I opted for the tripod as I can do the alignment standing up.

I have found the 85cm dish is easier to aim and works better in rain or heavy cloud(less dropouts) because it gathers more signal. If you have a look at TV stations you will see really big dishes and that is the reason why. more dish=more signal.

If you had the space a 1.2m dish works really well!

frank
FollowupID: 782311

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)