Reversing and rear view camera

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 00:56
ThreadID: 100678 Views:5179 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2010 Prado with a factory supplied reversing camera built in to the spare wheel cover and an inbuilt monitor in the dash.
I recently purchased a second hand van which has a rear view camera on the back with a 7 pin plug terminated on the draw bar - no monitor came with the camera.
The Prado has a 12 pin plug connection to the draw bar, the van has electric brakes and am using pin 2 (I think) to power the 12 volt fridge whilst driving - also have 2 AGM batteries in the van, solar panels & regulator - batteries also charge from Prado which has a second battery and a Redarc isolator - Prado also has a spare Anderson plug which terminates near the tow ball.
Is it possible to use the in-dash monitor for the camera on the back of the van and have the system switchable between the camera on the back of the van and the one on the Prado or do I need a second monitor? - additionally I have a new Navman LMT350 GPS
Appreciate any other suggestion as well
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 06:40

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 06:40
Hi. The short answer is no, you can't use the in car system as it is not two channel. I recently fitted mine with an aftermarket system that is able to be switched between the car or van. It meant wiring in a new monitor,cables for both cameras to the rear of the car and fitting up the van camera. You will also need to know if the van camera you already have is an NTSC or PAL system to match it with your new monitor system.
Also, you should be running your fridge through the lower 35amp pins in your 12 pin plug. I think pin 9 is the fridge one and you should have the same size heavy wire going back to your car battery through the centre earth pin (pin 10) Scroll down to the bottom of this page. http://www.campertrailers.org/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm Cheers,Bob.
AnswerID: 505225

Follow Up By: WLK*ABT - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:31

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 12:31
Thats a very useful link, thanks Bob.

FollowupID: 782184

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:52

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 17:52
Provided that the van camera matches the car system (NTSC or Pal) then you could fit a 2-way switch on the video signals to select whichever camera.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 782195

Follow Up By: tim_c - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:35

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:35
I'd be surpised if the screen (or at least, the controller for the screen) in the Prado isn't 2-channel (or more) - the Prado also has a camera in the front grille and one in the bottom of each door mirror - the outputs for all four cameras are viewed via the in-dash screen.

As much as I envy you having this dilemna (ie. a near-new Prado!), I don't envy you trying to sort it out and trying to tap into the Toyota wiring/controls for the in-dash screen. Allan's suggestion sounds the simplest - assuming you can track down the wires, and it won't mess up things by modifying them.
FollowupID: 782236

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 09:21

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 09:21
Hi. The multi camera system is only fitted to the top of the range model. I presume the op is talking about the GXL model. I still think it is easier to fit an aftermarket system rather than find the existing camera cable (mine did not appear to have a coax cable to the front of the car) There was a wiring harness of around 25mm dia down both sides of the vehicle with possibly 40 or 50 thin wires in each. With the canbus system and all the electronics I would be reluctant to tap into the existing cables without considerable knowledge and expertise. Bob
FollowupID: 782356

Sponsored Links