Nindigully Pub and Fishing

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 09:56
ThreadID: 100683 Views:6791 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G’day All, I’m heading out to Nindigully next Thursday and will obviously be visiting the Pub but I’m an inland fisherman and I’m wondering what the river is like there as far as fishing goes. Is there a better spot to camp away from the pub population that may be more productive for fishing. I don’t mind driving to the pub if the need be. There’s a road heading north from there called Chelmer Road which seems to follow the river. Is that worth checking out? I have a porta-bote with a small outboard… do you recommend I take it? I have tried contacting the pub by phone and email but no response as yet.
Thanks in advance.
Myles.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:13

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:13
Hi Myles,
The pub is 300 Meters from the river and you camp along the river. The camp ground is large and you should be able to find a spot far enough away from pub noise. As for fishing I couldn't say as I have never seen anyone fish their. The river is not that wide for the need for a boat.
Have a great time it's a nice place, and a free camp.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505230

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 09:36

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 09:36
The river looks high. Do you have another photo to post looking up or down the river and were you there recently? Thanks for the response Andy I appreciate it.
FollowupID: 782225

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:35

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:35
Hi Myles,
Last time I was their was September 2011. Here is a photo looking at the old bridge.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 782243

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:22

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:22
Myles,

The Moonie River has just had a flood go through so there is a heap of water still there. Fishig near the old bridge is good on occasions.

Chelmer rd does follow the river most of the way to the Moonie Highway, there is some good spots along there, be aware that it also traverses private property in sections.

Usual catch is Yellowbelly, carp, and jewfish with the occasional turtle :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 505232

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 09:42

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 09:42
G’day Kev, It’s been a while. Have you camped off Chelmer Road? Any hints? I like a photo with a nice Yellowbelly or Cod but ugly as they are, the Jewfish are the best eating.
FollowupID: 782226

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 13:42

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 13:42
My BIL used to work on "Iandra" so I never camped as such, I stayed in the shearers quarters ;)

Withthe recent flood there would possibly be a heap of water around, I found it better to fish when the wtaer was low in the billabongs as I use the theory that fishing with less water means less water between fish hehehehe

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782247

Reply By: The Bunyip - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 14:50

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 14:50
If you go near the Pub, make sure you wear your sunglasses as they've painted the place bright pink. Some would be quite within their rights questioning the logic of painting a heritage building erected in 1864 such a hideous colour.

For what it's worth I've seen many old pics of the pub & it looked much better in years past. Stilll... the beers cold!!
AnswerID: 505244

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 16:19

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 16:19
As I said last time you bought this up, it is now back to the original colour.

I take it raising funds for the McGrath Breast Cancer Foundation is not high on your priorities?

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782186

Follow Up By: The Bunyip - Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 22:12

Thursday, Feb 21, 2013 at 22:12
Sorry Kev,
Was blissfully unaware the "hideous" paint had a purpose.
I was there with my family in October last year & there was not one peace of literature explaining the support of the McGrath Foundation.
Had there been I would have gladly donated some hard earned towards the cause.
And....with the greatest of respect, please don't assume I read everything you write OK?

FollowupID: 782215

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 09:46

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 09:46
G’day Bunyip, I reckon it would have been quite confronting to see it painted pink without knowing that it was done short term for charity. Thanks for the reply.
FollowupID: 782228

Follow Up By: Robyn R4 - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 08:18

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 08:18
Darn!
Back to normal colours?
We were there last September (normal) and returned 11 days later to find it pink. We had seen the literature and knew it was happening...in our typical style, we're usually a few days too late or too early for some interesting event!
They raised about $30,000 ( if I recall correctly) for the Jane McGrath Foundation. Pretty amazing for such a small spot on the map!
You want to paint the pub? Put your money in the tin for the privilege!
There was still a lot of excitement and pride in their fundraising efforts and the tin was still being passed around a week later.
Hmmm...maybe it's good that they reverted to regular colours...I reckon, by looking at the crooked bits around windows and doors, many of the painters had been to the bar once or twice beforehand!
:)
PS: About the fishing...in typical inland style, there seems to be a lot of water between the fish. Didn't catch much along the river in the vicinity of the pub or by following the river for a bit, but if there's a nearby spot you know of where there's more success, hubby would love to know...!
FollowupID: 782302

Reply By: Member - Marilyn P (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 14:16

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 14:16
Threw a yabbie net in there last May and all I caught was small carp. Figured then it was a waste of time threwing in a line.
Marilyn
AnswerID: 505447

Sponsored Links