Electrolux 3 way frige

Submitted: Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 18:55
ThreadID: 100708 Views:1794 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, the side vent on my fridge gets quite hot when running on gas to the extent that it is softening the plastic on the vent. I have removed the vent panel and checked inside and all appears well. Any answers?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 19:44

Friday, Feb 22, 2013 at 19:44
Pollie

Van fridge or portable box?
In the hot weather, on gas they will be getting very hot. The gas is the hottest source.
Is it in a van? If so use a small computer fan blowing air upwards and therefore heat away. Makes things cooler and helps fridge action of the condenser fins in the back.
You probably have poor airflow around it and the heat is welling up, therefore soft plastic.

Ross M
AnswerID: 505337

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 07:26

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 07:26
Pollie

The following link may be of some use.

It's the set up I use in our van and works well.

Very simple to install.

FollowupID: 782299

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 07:28

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 07:28
Pollie

I got interrupted and forgot the link.

http://www.dreampod.net/boroma/fridgefan.html

FollowupID: 782300

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 13:07

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 13:07
Hi
While the simplest & easiest to do THAT arrangement will not get the BEST result.

Best results are obtained when ALL the cooling air flow is directed through the CONDENSER fins

That means
[a] internal baffling!
[b]ensuring there are no dead spots where hot air can collect, around or above the fridge
[c]the AIM should be to have the refrigerant as cool cool as possible when it enters the evaporator
[d] Fans inside the bottom [preferred] or blowing IN the bottom vents with correct baffling is far more efficient & better for the fans[they are not subject to high temps]
A 50C thermostat mounted about half way along the top of the CONDENSER FINS gives a far better response than one mounted on the boiler tube, when all is as above.
It is CONDENSER TEMP that requires monitoring

PeterQ
FollowupID: 782441

Reply By: Pollie - Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 13:36

Saturday, Feb 23, 2013 at 13:36
Thanks all. Fridge is in Goldstream goldlink camper. Will try fan. Thanks again
AnswerID: 505379

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:42

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:42
Pollie, has this heat problem been there since new or is something that has developed of late?

It's difficult to get a good installation in a camper trailer. Quite often the wall height at the back of the fridge is not tall enough to get the top vent at its correct height See this link for details on fridge installations.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505576

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:58

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:58
I hit a wrong button so am starting again.

Pollie, has this heat problem been there since new or is something that has developed of late?

It's difficult to get a good installation in a camper trailer. Quite often the wall height at the back of the fridge is not tall enough to get the top vent at its correct height. See this link for details on fridge installations. Your installation should follow the option one example. Check to see if your fridge has been installed properly. The top vent should be above the fridge cabinet. If you can see the top find at the back of the fridge then the cooling air will be bypassing some of the fin area. This will make the fridge work harder and thus it will produce more heat than if it has been installed properly. Also check that heat can not pass down the sides of the fridge or over the top of it. Block these areas with insulation if there is a gap there.

Also check that the flue kit is installed properly. It is designed to exhaust your gas combustion products through the appropriate section of the vent. If it is not going through this outlet that could also be part of the problem.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 782498

Sponsored Links