Comment: Roof Toppers

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 09:38
ThreadID: 100726 Views:3252 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me why not?....I have mounted boat trailer rollers on my ute. I simply put the keel of the boat on the rear rollers and slide it forward to the front and tie it down. I have travelled several thousand klms and have had not problem., but, I keep getting told that it's not safe but as yet no one give a suitable reason. Some say it's a wind drag but the wind would still be forced under the boat and to me would create more of a drag and lift and besides, the bow is designed to point into the wind and anyway, I'm not travelling at warp speeds.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: petengail - Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:23

Sunday, Feb 24, 2013 at 12:23
I have a fairly similar set up on my ute. To stop any forward or backward movement I tie the front of the boat to the front of the roof rack to stop any forward movement, and tie the back of the boat to the back of the roof rack to prevent any backward movement. There are two studs either side to prevent any lateral movement. I also use three ratchet tie downs, across the boat. I dont think my boat is going anywhere that it is not supposed to while I am travelling.
AnswerID: 505436

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:07

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:07
I assume that most states have laws about the max overhang and I presume that your arrangement has some if not a lot. You may find that you fall foul on this requirement. The safe mantra is running a little rampant these days and it gets rolled out all over the place and it is easy to use the term but you may just be simply illegal due to the overhang. So people will illegal = unsafe.

I have seen rigs with their trairel and all (including motor) winched up on the back of a ute so that the trailer frame protrudes over the cabin and they have been legal and safe.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 505499

Follow Up By: tombstone - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 13:48

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 13:48
Thanks for your reply but the boat is only a 10 footer. There is 6 foot over the tray, 3 to 3 and a half over the roof and 6 inches to a foot overhang out the back. Height is only 2 inched higher than when it is upside down. I do know that Vic Roads do not allow any overhang what so ever (Depending on who you get) but the police a more lenient to a degree. I don't know what it's like in other states.
Happy days.
FollowupID: 782445

Sponsored Links