Holden Frontera Clutch Problem

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 02:23
ThreadID: 10073 Views:4691 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there
Hope someone can help with this, I have a 2000 Frontera 3.2 l V6 with intermittant clutch shudder problems.

1st gear always seemed strange from new but now (55,000kms on the clock) it has a problem getting away in first or reverse but only sometimes, but when it starts it won't stop.

This car has been offroad once and no towing.

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SupaMav - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 08:02

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 08:02
Assuming there is no fundamental problem with the alignment of the clutch when it was installed . . . I had similar problems with my Subaru Forester GT. Subaru said it is essentially a combination of a few things but the main culprit is the fact that they are using a hard compound for the clutch face. I had it replaced under warranty and when it bedded in, the same problem returned. When the clutch warms from use, the shuddering goes away. Maybe your experiencing a similar thing?
AnswerID: 44585

Reply By: LBJ - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 11:19

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 11:19
christo, did you complain to the dealer more than once? has the vehicle had a clutch repacement under warranty? if yes to both these questions then you can call the "Holden Customer Assistance" line on 1800 033 349. most of the time they will liase with the dealer to get you a new clutch even if the vehicle is out of warranty period although you must have a good service history too!!. when they do the replacement they should be machineing the flywheel aswell......just something to try.... :)
AnswerID: 44600

Reply By: jackablue - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 12:33

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 12:33
Christo

A mate of mine had the same problem when we were on Fraser. It just got worst dramatically in the sand. The next day off the Island he had to get a new clutch put in. He had sand in the clutch. His mechanic at Ballina told him it usually happens after a lot of sand driving.The owner before him may have driven alot on the beach he said. Any way he had to get a new clutch.

Cheers

Jackablue
AnswerID: 44607

Reply By: paul - Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 14:59

Wednesday, Jan 28, 2004 at 14:59
A friend of mine took his Fronter V6 up to Fraser and got badly bogged in one uphill section and had to be winched backward - that put sand in his clutch and it had to be replaced. Dunno if it was shuddering though but he said it did awful things and made terrible noises. Holden replaced it under warranty, it is apparently a weakness of the Holden clutch set up that this can happen, same with jackaroos but at least they have greater clearance and are less prone to sand entry by pressure when winched backward - or even maybe energetic reversing in deep sand.
AnswerID: 44626

Follow Up By: pac - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 15:56

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2004 at 15:56
I have a 2002 V6 Fronera with a very similar cutch problem to that described by Chris. No sand driving involved and very little off-road but I do tow a small caravan well within Holden's towing limits. I first noticed intermittent clutch shudder when the car was only a month or so old. It only happened very occasionally so I did nothing about it. More recently my wife, who drives the car most, began to notice it too and decided to take it to the Holen dealer to fix under warranty. They warned that it may not be covered by the warranty if we had "abused" the clutch but we booked it in for replacement anyway. My wife spoke to Holden Customer Service who took details (including when the car was booked in to be repaired) and told her to contact them if the dealer did not consider it should be done under warranty. We have just heard from the dealer to say that it will be done under warranty. They also told us that the clutch had "burn marks" and it was "touch and go" whether it would be done under warranty. Apparently the dealer's service manager referred the matter to Holden's area manager who gave the go ahead. It looks to me like talking to Holden Customer Seervice is a worthwhile step to take. Hope this helps.

Peter
FollowupID: 309025

Sponsored Links