Western QLD

Submitted: Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 11:54
ThreadID: 100747 Views:1465 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are heading to QLD in mid April and had originally thought of heading up the Birdsville Track and then on up onto the gulf. All the recent rains have got us thinking, would we be better to head up the centre, across from Three Ways to Mt Isa and then up to the gulf, criss crossing to come home via the Birdsville. It has occured to us we may be in channel country too early. Love to hear from those who have been there. Maxine
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 15:27

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 15:27
We went up to the Gulf from Adelaide in July 2011 and wanted to do the Innamincka - Birdsville - Boulia run on the way, BUT..... rain put paid to that (one of the noted country race meetings was canceled as I recall). We stayed on the blacktop and went via 3ways and Mt Isa. No drama because we have been to the channel country before, but as you've guessed, you need to watch the weather on the way up and get ready to swing one way or the other. The seasons vary a lot and the dry can come early or late - a lottery of sorts - I've seen enough mud to do me on outback trips so if rain is likely, I go the other way :-o).
AnswerID: 505519

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:56

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:56
Hi Guys,
We live up here in the Gulf, so far it has been exceptionally dry, most rains have been around the coastal strips, Longreach did have some heavy rains last week but all seems backwards this year, we are thinking it may be a very late wet for the gulf so you may not even be able to get near the Gulf yet ...
Keep close tabs on the weather and if it is still dry up here you can go via Alice, up to 3 ways, east to Barkly and head north along the "Tablelands" hwy to the Calvert Hills road, awsome drive, that takes a shortcut to the Savannah Way, you can then do Kingfisher Camp, Lawn Hil, even Burktown and to Karumba if you have time, and head back to Isa and you wont cover the same road twice, NO backtracking at all .....
Then if Birdsville is ok you are fine, if not head back to 3 ways and still all new roads, just the boring drive down to Alice
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 505577

Follow Up By: Maxine C - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 08:31

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 08:31
Sounds interesting. I should have said also that we hope to be in QLD until late Oct. As we are coming up from Mount Gambier, as about far south as it gets in SA we are going to spend the time having a good look at your state not just a quick flash through.
FollowupID: 782506

Follow Up By: Maxine C - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:09

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:09
Hubby interested in Calvert Track. I should ask if it is suitable for novices. We are experienced travellers but have spent most of our time on the black top venturing off occasionally into the roughter areas. Recently traded the van for an off road camper trailer and hope to get further off the main roads but not necessarily into gumg ho driving.
FollowupID: 782511

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 23:03

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 23:03
i am not sure what type of car you have but it will be possible to have some water crossings again depends on what rain there has been ....
I guess one thing i have noticed is a lot of roads are reffered to as "tracks" when in fact they are very well maintained gravel roads, the Birdsville "track" is one example, you could drive it in a car if conditions are fine but throw in some rain and even 4wds get stuck, the Calvert Hills road is just that, it could be done in any car but with rain it could be a problem .......
The key is plan on SLOW driving and always allow heaps of time, almost all that come un-stuck are in some mad hurry ..
Give it a bit of time and start checking about 3 weeks before you want to leave and start making some plans, make at least 3 plans based on conditions that take in "very wet", wet and dry and then if still dry up here then you will be fine .....
We managed the Doomadgee Roadhouse and keep close tabs on the road conditions around here so feel free to give us a ring or send me a message via this page .... cheers
FollowupID: 782585

Follow Up By: Maxine C - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:53

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:53
We drive a Landcruiser. We have 6 months before we have to be back so plan to travel slowy and see everything. I don't understand people who rush around as we like to take in what we are seeing and enjoy. Also like to set up camp each night nice and early and put the feet up. We travcelled around Tassie for three months in a tent when the floods were from QLD down, including Tassie and found that our Elder weather was the best thing we had to keep us up to date and we soon learnt how to detour and quickly change plans, and therefore kept safe and reasonably dry. Appreciate the advice of the locals. Will be in touch in a few weeks before we head off and will certainly drop by and say hello.
FollowupID: 782609

Sponsored Links