Jeep Cherokee

Submitted: Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 19:37
ThreadID: 100758 Views:2495 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've read the previous threads on this topic but they seem mostly to be about towing capacity/suitability. I wondered if anybody has a recent - last 2 years - model that they have taken (seriously) off road. I'm particularly interested in the lift to 271mm ground clearance that can be achieved by Quadra Lift and whether it has been 'practicaly' enough for rough terrain.

How is it rated averall for - say - the Kidson Track....no I'm not joking...and would like to hear from actual owners that have been 'off road' - anywhere - with this vehicle.

Many thanks

George
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stinger2 - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 22:37

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 22:37
Hi Macca, have you tried ausjeepoffroad.com and get onto the jeep forum there,loads of info..
AnswerID: 505569

Reply By: mikehzz - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 07:15

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 07:15
As above, ausjeepoffroad.com is your best bet for info. I'm interested as I have an older Grand. All Jeeps are handy off road straight out of the box, they are all tested on the Rubicon Trail in the US as part of the design process. The 18" rims with street tyres would be your biggest downfall. Your choice of A/T tyre is limited due to the rim size and the price is higher. There are issues with the 4wd system on sand throwing the car into limp mode 2wd. A fix in the software was still being developed last time I read about it. Accessories like bull bars or snorkels are scarce and there were issues finding recovery points to snatch off on certain models.
The cars are still a bit new and nobody wants to scratch or dent one. :-) Most of them do not have the Quadra Lift suspension, you pay extra for it. The front skirting clips off for better angles off road, however try getting it off at home first because we tried with one out on a trip and it wouldn't come off for us. The one on the trip with us was standard height, no Quadra Lift, front skirt still on and didn't have any trouble on some reasonably rutted and steep fire trails. A nooby driver in it as well. Awesome fuel economy on the diesel with plenty of power.
AnswerID: 505581

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 07:37

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 07:37
Have you checked out the new model which is coming.

New Jeep.......Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Only a mother could love the ugly face on it.
AnswerID: 505585

Reply By: Macca - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 14:28

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 14:28
Thanks very much for your replies
AnswerID: 505608

Reply By: Team J.a.G - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 15:25

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 15:25
Hi Macca
As mentioned the Cherokee is a very capable 4wd standard...optioned with a lift, lokkers, bar work, winches etc they will go almost anywhere you point it.

Also look at this forum link for more detail info from world wide users...
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/index.php?sid=2745d8b5534f43d93a7d1c80a1f9d8fc

I have just turned over 301000km's ( outback touring e.g. Kimberly's, Simpson, Googs track, Flinders, Gawler, Tanami, Oodnadatta track etc.& daily drive) in my 02kj with basically maintenance issues over that time....I'll be keeping for a while yet. :)

Whilst the later KK has had a lack of after market options readily available there are suppliers and manufacturers out there tooled up for custom work at reasonable rates e.g. http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/

Good luck
AnswerID: 505612

Sponsored Links