Queensland Outback

Submitted: Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 20:31
ThreadID: 100760 Views:2322 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hello!
My partner and I are off on our first 2 week trip out west from Gympie. We head off in July.
We are both very excited. My partner is getting all the things ready for the cruiser and the camper trailer. While i am madly organising a itinery as I like to be a little organised.
The more forums/blogs I read and research I do the more things I find to do.
This is what i have so far...

Day One - Gympie to Mitchell (free camp at Fishermans Rest)
This could change as our first couple of days we may do longer driving, to get us out into the outback. As the attractions will need more time.

Day Two - Mitchell to Quilpie (free camp at Lake Houdraman)
Also posibly could be a longer driving day.

Day Three - Quilpie to Jundah

Day Four/Five- Jundah to (im not sure yet)

We want to head up the Jundah Winton Road. If time is there we will visit the Lark Quarry Conservation Park.
This is were i am having trouble as i have been reading about the Old Cork station and would love to head out to it and then up to winton from there.
I would say there would be one night stay between Jundah and Winton if not two stays. Has anyone done this and have any idea on camp areas?

Day Six - Winton to Longreach

Day Seven - Longreach

Day Eight - Longreach to Rubyvale (stopping at the the Wellshot Hotel on the way looks interesting and worth the stop)

Day Nine - Rubyvale
(went to rubyvale fosicking when i was young and want to experiance this again with my partner)

Day Ten - Rubyvale - Black Down Tableland National Park

Day Eleven - Black Down Tableland National Park
(from what ive seen a lot of nice walks here and would be relaxing for our wind down on the way home)

Day Twelve - Back Down Tableland National Park - Rockhampton

Day Thirteen - Rockhampton to Home (Gympie)

Any help with the Jundah, Old Cork to Winton stretch would be greatly appreciated.

For now i will keep reading your amazing blogs and forums and jotting down the places and attractions you all recommend as must do's.

Thanks and cant wait to start bloging our trip.
Stacy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Julio C (VIC) - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 22:21

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 22:21
Hi Stacy, we did a similar trip, and at first we were going to stay at a caravan park in Longreach, but we got told about the caravan park in Ilfracombe which is next door to the Wellshot Hotel, best thing we ever did, it has the best happy hour in the country by far. Enjoy your trip. Regards: Julio
AnswerID: 505567

Follow Up By: Stacy G - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:40

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:40
Hi Julio
We have 2 night's in Longreach so depending if we get most of the attractions done there we may have a night in Ilfracombe.
Thanks so much. Would hate to miss out on something worth doing.
Stacy
FollowupID: 782496

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 07:27

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 07:27
Hi Stacy, Lake Houdraman is a top spot to camp! So is Cooper Creek at Windorah, just a bit further west. I hope you have a great trip! Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 505583

Follow Up By: Stacy G - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 22:31

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 22:31
Thanks Toni. Lake houdraman looked great when i was looking up free camps. Not sure if we will make it to Windorah but will make a note of Cooper Creek, plans may change :) thanks
FollowupID: 782581

Reply By: Dingojim - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 08:05

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 08:05
Hi Stacy and mate, after many, many, many trips varying in duration from 4 days to several years we find that the only itinerary which is of any value is the one written at the END of the trip. If you look at big business, e.g. Qantas, Queensland rail and even the Federal Govt. these mobs pay people big $$$ to work out how its all going to happen and look at the end result. The point being that if they can't get it right what chance do us mere mortals have? I must admit though it's a lot of fun to get out all the travel guides, atlas and the other 8 or so publications we have and doing exactly what you have done knowing in the back of your mind that all you are doing is encouraging Murphys Law. Seriously though, go for it. If some of us more seasoned travellers were to be honest we would admit to being envious of your enthusiasm. We all wish you a safe, enjoyable and memorable trip. And remember "There is no such thing as a problem only a solution waiting to be found".
AnswerID: 505587

Follow Up By: Stacy G - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 22:40

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 22:40
Dingojim! Thank you for your reply. My partner is very much for getting in the car and seeing where we end up. Stopping when we feel we need to and chatting to locals for the best things to do, see and places to camp along the way.
I am more worried about missing out on something amazing only to find out about it once we are home, hence why i am racking the brains of those who have already experienced it. Thanks again for reminding me not all things have to b planned and if they were they certainly don't always go to plan.
FollowupID: 782582

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:45

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:45
Stacy,

Sounds like a good trip, though you could have trouble fitting it all in the 2 weeks. Just depends how keen you are to bounce out of the camper at daylight, on a cold July morning?

Might be worth stopping to check out the Cosmos Centre at Charleville on way through.

Jundah to Winton is a good drive, with Lark Quarry a worthwhile detour. Think the tours are 10am, Noon & 2pm only, but you might like to check first by ringing Waltzing Matilda Centre in Winton(07 46571466)

The side trip to Old Cork is about 60kms off the Jundah road. The old homestead still stands, though the roof is long gone. There is a large waterhole behind the house, on the Diamantina River, and there is usually plenty of room to camp there. To travel to Winton you can go up the Diamantina River Road, on east side of the river, and is the shortest way, or retrace your path to Cork Station, and then up the Cork Mail road.

Once in Winton there is plenty to see & do.Waltzing Matilda centre is worth a look, as well as the Corfields & Fitzmaurice Store, Searles Outback Store and have an evening meal at either Tatt's or the Winton Pub(both outdoor dining).

On the way to Longreach, you should also travel up to Australian Age of Dinosaurs, to compliment your visit to Lark Quarry. It's only 11kms off the highway, has views to die for and they don't make a bad coffee either. Tours are now run on the hour.

There is a good free camp at Crawford Ck, about 45 kms east of Winton. Has toilets, shelter sheds and odd BBQ (wood only) if you happened to be running late after seeing all the good stuff in Winton :-)

Have often admired the Blackdown Tableland from the highway, and it's on our visit list too. Instead of travelling from there to Rocky, may I suggest that you travel down the Burnett Highway to Gympie. I did this last April, after going to Brissy down the Bruce H'way, and the former is a more relaxed and scenic drive, and probably not much difference in distance. No stop-n-go's and bugger-all traffic!!!

If you've got any more questions about Winton area, I might be able to help you?

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 505598

Reply By: Member - Derek Y1 - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 22:43

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 22:43
I can certainly recommend Old Cork as a good spot for a night or three.
AnswerID: 505654

Sponsored Links