PERMITS TO TRAVEL

Submitted: Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 22:35
ThreadID: 100763 Views:3033 Replies:9 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering how many people actually do apply for permits to travel remote areas of the outback? or for that matter, anywhere permits are required. If you paid for all the permits available Australia wide, it would amount to over $1000.00 if you travelled extensively the width and breath of the country.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:15

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:15
Hi Outbackjack

I always apply for permits for the places where we go to, as these days if you are unlucky enough to get caught, there is no real excuse.

As we usually travel to quite remote locations, my permits are usually free, which makes it even better.

We used to do the Simpson on a very regular basis and to be very honest, did not get real value for money with the Desert Parks Pass. We now know that there are far better places, where the chances of seeing other travellers will be very slim.......the way I like it.

See you in the bush with my permit and it will be for free.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 505571

Follow Up By: Member - outbackjack 1 - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 22:00

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 22:00
Hi Stephen L
I was just applying for some permits, when I thought I would ask the question. I think its getting a bit out of hand, dollar wise, I just got 4 different permits over $400. I suppose it helps someone.
FollowupID: 782578

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 22:59

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 22:59
Now that is what I all a sting...

Could we ask where we're the permits for.

That is why we will only go back to the Simpson is if there is something special happening. I have more fun out in the far west of our state and in the WA deserts.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782584

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:23

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:23
Most permits are free and those that come at a cost are less common routes and destinations.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 505572

Reply By: Candace S. - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:40

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:40
I got the only one required for my trip: a permit from the CLC to drive the Great Central Road. But it was free. =)
AnswerID: 505574

Follow Up By: wizzer73 - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:56

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:56
permit

Just for future reference, 2 permits required for GCR. One either side of the NT/WA border.

cheers
wizzer

FollowupID: 782523

Follow Up By: wizzer73 - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:57

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:57
both free i should add.

wizzer
FollowupID: 782524

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:42

Monday, Feb 25, 2013 at 23:42
i guess you can also ask as to how many have $90,000 4wd's and dont bother to insure them, 98% of people get away with it so why bother to insure, you could also drive all around Australia without a drivers licence and an un-registered car and not get pulled over once and get away with it, that would save you thousands..
We drove from the Gulf to SA via birdsville and broken hill, then to west aussie, Albany, to Perth, to Kal and accross to the big rock, up to Alice and back to the Gulf, all over six weeks and never got pulled over once, we could have saved thousands with no rego or licence or permits and could have been drinking wine all the way ...
Never even had one flat tyre so why did i bother to have 2 spares ...
But why would you ?????
Guess my point is if you intend to travel thousands of Klms then it is going to cost you thousands any way, you have to factor in permit costs, bit like fuel, it costs far more out bush, fact of life and that makes it even better as it puts it out of reach of the "average" person so when we do get time to go bush the "non-average" person is the only ones out here (us whackos) ......
The other side to it is the small issue that you could well stand to LOSE your car if caught in a "restricted" area that requires a permit, permits are a "legal" requirement and do a tad more than rip money off you, it gives them stats for future funding, it gives them details of vehicles to LOOK FOR when you screw up and dont arrive at the other end, it give the cops at the WA end an idea of who is stuck on the Central Road when it rains and can liase with the NT cops as to who to look for .......
It will be the best insurance if things go pear shaped, they will come looking for you, get stuck on a restricted road WITHOUT a permit and YOU pay the search bill and NO insurance company will even talk to you ...
AnswerID: 505575

Follow Up By: Member - daz (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:32

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:32
Hi Joe n Mel & the Kids,
Re getting away with out vehicle being registered these days is very unlikely. For one, the police road patrols are non stop checking regos these days via the on board computers, whilst the highway monitoring cameras serve as another source to check on unregistered vehicles. There was a thread on here a while back about as lass who came to Adelaide from the North & had forgotten to register & as she was not getting mail her fines accrued astronomically as she was photographed on the highways.
Daz
FollowupID: 782519

Reply By: Member - Woodsy - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:23

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 10:23
Hi outbackjack 1

Over the last 25 years of outback travel I have always applied for permits even though I do not wholly agree with them.
I have never had a permit checked until in October 2012 travelling from Yulara to Warburton we were pulled over by WA Police a few ks East of Warakurna.
The Police were not locals and were travelling to Docker River.

As they approached they flashed their lights for us to stop for a random check, possibly to break the boredom of their journey.

No problems and they were very pleasant but they did ask to see our permits as we were going to travel down Connie Sue then hanging a lefty at Neal Junction.

Being a bit anal I had the permits neatly filed inside a ring binder folder with other trip info, labelled and all.

I think that they were so impressed they didn't have anything more to say except "See ya fellas. Have a good trip".

Do the police have rights over permits. I don't know.

Anyway, that's my experience.
Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505593

Follow Up By: Members Pa & Ma. - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:38

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:38
Hi outbackjack 1 & woodsy,
Most of the Permits are free.
Sometimes they can be a hassle to obtain.
We always get them, if you need help & you haven't got one you will be looked upon as doing the wrong thing.
We were asked for our Permit in a very obnoxious way by an ABPO at Warburton W.A.
I thought I wouldn't get it back for a while but after some discussion with this person I got it back and with an apology.
I will get a copy next time so I still have one.
I thought that they had no right to demand to see it. I'm happy to show them but never usually have to.

I think your Police were bored & you were the tourist.
Same happened to us sort of, he pulled us over cause he couldn't
see our number plate because of the Jerry can until his partner told him it was on the Jerry can. He breath tested hubby with a very embarrassed face..
I don't know if Police have the right to ask to see your Permit. I have found that in some permits that they exclude the very thing you are going there to see.
Take care, safe travels Ma.

FollowupID: 782520

Follow Up By: caseh - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:51

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:51
Greetings.
I don't know if Australian police, State or Federal, has the right to request your permit. But a little advise from an ex cop who has worked in several continents as one: just hand the permit over and play the game.

Reminds me of an old Dutch saying that if you want to hit a dog, one can always find a stick. Or as they say in Vegas where my friends are cops: Attitude adjusted while you wait.
The boys in blue can always find something wrong, or even if they don't there are ways and means.

Another one of life's free lessons from one who was brought up in the old school.
Cheers and have a great day, Case.
FollowupID: 782521

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 14:45

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 14:45
^ Proof that the people who complain about police harrassment aren't fabricating the stories? ;)
FollowupID: 782536

Follow Up By: Member - Woodsy - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 18:10

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 18:10
Hi Case

I don't believe that I or Pa,Ma&Gus were saying that we would not have permits or that we would not happily co-operate with the Police.

The query was "Do the police have rights over permits."

We don't need "..one of life's free lessons..".
We know what we are doing and how to treat and respect the police.

Your attitude is the type that makes people disrespect "cops", as you call them.

Sometimes the "old school" is not always the best.
Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 782562

Follow Up By: garrycol - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 20:08

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 20:08
Do what the cops ask and note their details and check up on them later - if in the wrong lodge a complaint - the complaint may get nowhere but the individuals will certainly have a discussion with their superiors.
FollowupID: 782568

Reply By: Member - daz (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:47

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:47
You always need the permit. especially when you do not have one.
In the late 70s I was going yabbying east of Burra, & needed some meat for the pots, so I shot a feral goat on a private station, ( I knew the owner)
Just going about my own business, skinning the goat & annoying no one when 8 park rangers arrived on their way to Canopuis for a meeting, Came over for a look & one asked to see my hunting permit. ( What NO PERMIT ????) Very embarrassing having your name in the local rag in the court sections. Took plenty of ribbing from locals offering me free goat meat,
A lesson well learnt, Get a permit when it is required.
Daz
AnswerID: 505599

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:03

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:03
With a memory like mine I don't have any issues at all in obtaining permits whether I pay for them or not.
I use them as a reference for when I travelled through that part of the countryside.
Cheers
Paul

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505601

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 13:52

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 13:52
Hi Jack,

I doubt that people who don't get permits would be likely to say so on this forum! Another question might be who has had a permit checked, by whom and where.

For the record we do get permits, despite some reservations. Have been asked did we have permits (but no actual check) at Dalhousie, and GCR permit checked at the entrance booth to Yulara.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 505606

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 20:58

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 20:58
Good reply Val

Like most responsible people, you would be a fool not to get a permit when they are free.

Even years ago, before Ozi, and when we were travelling through the APY Aboriginal Lands in the top part of SA, we were geographically misplaced. We went into one of the Communities for advice. The very first thing that the white CEO asked was, what are you doing way out here. I explained the situation and said that we had permits, to which he said he was not worried and did not want to see them.

An hour later after being invited into his office and talked about many things, we were on our way and knew which way to go.

I have never heard of anyone being asked for their permits..........sorry I just remembered.

Last year when we were travelling solo on the Caravan Track between Cook and Maralinga, little did we know that Leigh had been speaking to Robin and told him Fiona and I were heading back to Maralinga. Three hours into the drive, we noticed a white Toyota heading our way. Pulling over as you do, we knew it was Robin, and in a stern voice, Robin said....do you have a permit to be out hear, then started to laugh. I then said, no we do not but have a contact in Maralinga and he will sort it out...lol

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 782572

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 09:45

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 09:45
Jack

I am vehemently opposed to the permit system because I believe it is the major cause of indigenous isolation/dislocation from the rest of Australia. It enables crooks, miners and religious nutters to exploit remote communities while keeping legitimate travellers out. It conceals some of the indigenous problems like substance abuse, inadequate housing, poverty etc from proper public scrutiny.

Having said that, I always obtain permits for my travels. Apart from the APY lands where an application is $20 per vehicle, I am not aware of other permit fees. Yes, you will pay to visit the Hay River Track, or to visit SGs Corner or stay at El Questro, but these aren't "permits" as such. I don't know what the fee for travelling the Simpson is, but most national parks attract fees, esp in NSW.

The permit application process is very easy and quick. Be prepared for knockbacks in some regions (APY Lands)

Bob
AnswerID: 505801

Sponsored Links