Tyres - Oodnadatta and Mereenie Loop

I have Dunlop AT-20's on my Prado, with the last set getting me to 80K, which included beach driving, Point Plomer Road and some other tracks. My current tyres have around 30K on them, and the tread is still good with no uneven wear.

My question is - would these be sufficient for the above tracks plus the 4WD track from William Creek to Lake Eyre, add maybe a few other small excursions.

I will have 1 new spare and 1 old (30% tread) spare as back-ups.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 13:13

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 13:13
The roads you are looking at taking are super highways in most places but can become very corrugated in sections.... most of the roads and tracks are 90-110 Kph.

The biggest thing is to drop your tyre pressures down to around 28-30 psi and drive to the conditions.

As for carrying a spare for the spare just in case.... it's up to you but we have never needed two spares, a good quality tyre plug kit, air compressor and a tyre pressure monitoring system is all you need.

AnswerID: 505604

Follow Up By: Rob K (VIC) - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 13:46

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 13:46
Hi Marts09,

Agree generally with olcoolone's comments - generally well maintained roads. The track from William Creek to Haligan Bay (Lake Eyre) can be quite corrugated and/or stoney in some places and you'll need to slow down to suit the driving conditions. I've done both the Oodnadatta and Mereenie Loop in Grandtreks in the past without issue in a fully loaded 80 Series LC , just manage your tyre pressures and drive to the conditions and you'll be OK.

Cheers

Rob K
FollowupID: 782529

Reply By: Peter F9 - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 16:52

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 16:52
Marts09,

We're planning the same trip for the end of April. I have a Ranger with Dunlop AT22's. I'm switching to a LT (Light Truck) construction tyre for the trip. While the Dunlops are great on the road I found the sidewalls a bit soft having staked a tyre out Fords Bridge way last year. I may have been just unlucky but am erring on the side of a bit heavier sidewall protection that the LT construction offers.
Good travels, we may cross paths on the Oodnadatta track!
Cheers
P
AnswerID: 505618

Sponsored Links