Is there a suitable alternative to the Hawk for our needs?

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 21:44
ThreadID: 100784 Views:2786 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
I’m very much looking forward to the Brissy Camping show in 2 weeks so I can go look at some new toys etc.
For now, I am trying to get preliminary research out the way on the following.

With the checking and test runs in Hired Campers, I have concluded that a Jayco Hawk is what would suit our needs best.
We are a family of 5, with 3 young kids, 2 who are still of an age where they need constant supervision, that leaves yours truly to do ALL the set ups etc.
Therefore, this must be easy task in respect to time taken to have the set up done.
The reasons why the Hawk is on the list is:
Kitchen at 1 end.
Beds roll out, no mattresses to inflate or bed frames to unpack. My first try with an Eagle took 15 min with the 3 x awnings as well.
Reasonable secure weather proof space within for evenings or bad weather etc.
Cost is affordable, I get a lot for the sum spent.

Down side
No kitchen access whilst on the move, stopping for lunch etc.
The trouble I must go through to make it dust proof (ish). Thanks to info I find here, I know who best to do this.

The no kitchen without almost setting it all up is a thing which I’d like to improve on.

So my question for everyone is, what Alternatives are there?

I am aware of a CUB with double and 2 x single beds which is suitable. I’m looking for additional alternatives I am not finding.

The budget covers a few I find on the web now 2nd hand with annox and the 3 other covers etc.

I’m very much looking forward to learning of an alternative, or am I pushing it up a hill?

Thanks
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Off-track - Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 22:11

Tuesday, Feb 26, 2013 at 22:11
Have a peek over at myswag and campertrailers.org as their is a lot of specific camper info to be had that you may not find here.
AnswerID: 505645

Follow Up By: Rimbus - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:34

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:34
Thanks, shall have a look.
I have viewed Myswag a million times and have now joined, so I shall ask there.
Wasn't aware of the other site.
Cheers
FollowupID: 782606

Reply By: Grinner - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:24

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:24
Jayco Expanda?

We have 2 young boys, and did the progression from tent - Jayco Eagle - Jayco Expanda. Whilst the Eagle was a great improvement over the tent, the Expanda adds another level of ease of setup again, as well as the bigger living area because of the fold out beds. Plus as you already mentioned, the Expanda gives easy access whilst traveling to get to the kitchen and fridge for lunches, snacks etc.

I suppose the downside of the Expanda, is the additional level of cost and towing weight.

Jason
AnswerID: 505671

Follow Up By: Rimbus - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:36

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:36
Ah yes, better half likes the twin axel poptop expanda with bunks and shower.
There is a nice expanda near us for 38,000, now the 38 is easy, the 000 is the problem.
FollowupID: 782607

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:42

Wednesday, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:42
G'day Dave, I think you have correctly identified the biggest drawback with the wind up
style of camper..that is no quick access to the kitchen. This, combined with the possible setting up in bad weather, & no quick shelter available led us to conclude that
this style of camper wasnt really an upgrade from the common C/t. If you throw in the
very limited storage, it doesnt match the C/t.
I'm sure you can visualise the scenario of you toiling in the wind & rain to put it up,
while kids wait patiently in the car.
I would be checking the used caravan market ,in line with your budget for a possible
solution. A hire & try may be very useful. cheers......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 505674

Sponsored Links