New Landcrusier ABS - where does a dual battery fit ?

Submitted: Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 11:07
ThreadID: 100828 Views:6987 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
hi there
have just purchased a new series ABS equipped ute, and upon my surprise the space that used to be vacant on my 2008 model, is now chockers full of ABS controller hardware.
has anyone fitted a dual battery setup to one of these new ABS equipped utes?

i know pihrana make a kit, but has anyone installed one of these?

appreciate any hints or lessons learned

regards
G
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 13:08

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 13:08
Hi Gmax,

ARB have just released a new dual battery kit so you could have a chat to them. On the landcruiser forum (www.lcool.org) there is lots of information and owners that have fitted a dual battery arrangement.

Hopefully a few ExplorOz members with the new landcruiser will also respond to your post. I have the pre-ABS model that had no issues with fitting a dual battery.

Good luck!

Cheers, Geoff
AnswerID: 505823

Follow Up By: Member - gmax - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:12

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:12
thanks Geoff
yes the local arb advised one is on the way, but hadn't seen a kit yet so weren't sure how it would fit, they assume similar to piranha setup.
my last 79 series of course didnt have abs so fitting was a breeze
cheers !

http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/library/publication/document//bt70v8d-abs_-_fitting_guide.pdf
FollowupID: 782811

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff M (VIC) - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 07:39

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 07:39
The ARB dual battery kit was supposedly released several weeks ago and details sent to all ARB stores so I am surprised that your local store doesn't have the information.
I installed the 'old' piranha kit (pre-ABS) which was fine - I have the luxury of plenty of room though!

Cheers, Geoff
FollowupID: 782923

Reply By: Ozrover - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 14:01

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 14:01
I've got the same issue with my Dual cab, althow I'd really not want to put an auxillary battery under the bonnet anyway.

My thoughts at the moment are to fabricate a battery box under the tray, towards the front near the head board & stick an AGM type battery in there, it will be accessed via a trap door in the tray.

Maybe not ideal, but the best that I can think of at the moment.

AnswerID: 505828

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 14:45

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 14:45
G'day G

Same here, however as I was always intending to fit the canopy and 2 boxes under it was not really an issue. One box for the batt and fuse box etc, and one for tools.

As the other lads have said ARB et al are all rushing to solve your problem for you so they can extract your $ from your skyrocket.
FollowupID: 782739

Follow Up By: Member - gmax - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:16

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:16
Ozrover
am getting 2 custom boxes fitted to new tray, but will be for tools and recovery...

am thinking something recessed under the front of new tray under a hatch, or rear mounted box setup, but will probably get a few more vibrations up the back than nearer the front

thanks
G
FollowupID: 782812

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 19:08

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 19:08
G

Have you thought about a box under at the rear that runs forward up the middle. That's where I store all my recovery gear as it can get dirty without a problem. Works well for me and leaves one box free for the batt etc. Can take a piccy if you wish.
FollowupID: 782818

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 09:28

Sunday, Mar 03, 2013 at 09:28
Short term fix for me will be a battery box in the tray up against the head board, long term solution will be to fabricate a battery box under the tray in the centre under a trap door (hatch).

As the tray on the military D/C is only 1800mm long I will also be fitting an under tray slide out draw, which is 1250 x 1250mm, the battery box will fit nicely in front of that.

The dual cab doesnt have room to fit boxes in front of the rear wheels like the cab chassis, & I dont like the idea of putting them behind the rear wheels, so all my recovery gear, tools etc... will go into the under tray draw.

FollowupID: 782841

Reply By: braggy - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 19:11

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 19:11
Hi G
I have a 76 with ABS, I have fitted the piranha, comes with a bracket to move the ABS module to the inner guard, you also have to move the indicater relay (if you got tow bar), not alot of room left to get VSR in, but does fit.
They reccomend optima, but I got a 110ah Calcium (susposed to handle heat better)

Did hear on LCOOL that Toyota were abit touchy about warranty on ABS if you moved it, maybe check with dealer,

Cheers Ken
AnswerID: 505841

Follow Up By: Member - gmax - Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:04

Saturday, Mar 02, 2013 at 18:04
thanks Braggy
yes i have the pdf from pihrana, and it certainly looks to be a squeeze in there ...
not sure if i am too keen to move those 2 ea ecm modules or mess with anything that may come back to bite me warranty wise etc, so for now i may start thinking of box mounted 2nd batt,
it is mainly for auxillary stuff and winch ( down the track when the cash situation allows) but also needs to have enough capacity ( and big enough cabling) to be able to crank without much of a voltage drop...
cheers
G
FollowupID: 782809

Sponsored Links