Birdsville Races 2013

Am seeking advice from those who have done the Birdsville Races in past years. Wishing to know how many days prior to race day (Saturday) should I get into Birdsville to ensure a camping spot. I am hearing conflicting information, so hoping ExplorOz fellow members may be able to shed some "experienced" light on this query.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: "crack-a-tinnie" - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 16:30

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 16:30
Hi,
In 2010, we got there on the Tuesday afternoon and camped at the caravan park down next to the river. It was great to be there and watch the town grow, amazing how quick it filled up over the next couple of days. On the Thursday we could see the rain was coming and we left that afternoon, we didn't have time up our sleeve to get stuck there. On the Friday they closed the roads for about 5 days.
In 2011 we got there on the Wednesday and camped out at the common. Plenty of camping area out there.
So I recommend getting there no later than Tuesday/Wednesday, kick back & relax and enjoy the atmosphere. There is plenty to see & do around Birdsville before race day.
Cheers
AnswerID: 505832

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 20:15

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 20:15
Hi Lance,

I suggest you get there bout three weeks before hand and sit at the bar and wait ; ) or get there 2-3 days before hand and you should be ok too

Cheers Wilko
AnswerID: 505849

Follow Up By: Member - Outback Gazz - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 20:44

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 20:44
Hey wilko

I once tried your suggestion of getting there about 3 weeks early, sitting at the bar and waiting - the up side was - I didn't need to look for a campsite - the down side was I couldn't find my campsite when I needed it !

And whilst I never made it out to the track, my travel buddies told me I enjoyed myself. Apperently, a good time was had by all !

Cheers

Gazz

FollowupID: 782754

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 23:38

Friday, Mar 01, 2013 at 23:38
Lance and Chantri, Wednesday/ Thursday at the latest, the good spots I'd be there by Tuesday at the latest..... Have a great time there, we've been twice now, the last time was when the races were cancelled because of rain, we still had a great time and enjoyed the hospitality of the town whilst we waited for the roads to open.....

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 505868

Follow Up By: Lance & Chantri - Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 12:44

Monday, Mar 04, 2013 at 12:44
Truly appreciate all the helpful advice and whilst sitting at the bar for a few days is an option I think the Director of Domestic Affairs will not approve Looking forward to experiencing this iconic event, so I think I will plan on getting there Tuesday/Wednesday latest.
FollowupID: 782942

Sponsored Links