Long range/Auxilliary fuel tanks

Hi all

I'm a newbie here (please be gentle!) and after some advice. We are in the process of upgrading our NW Diesel Pajero for a big trip up north (WA) later in the year.
Have been researching auxilliary fuel tanks (longranger, LRA, Brown Davis) and they all come it and a similar price and have similar capacity. Have also found some info on the Strongarm tanks (made in WA) -they have the biggest capacity and are well priced. Can't find much feedback on them online. Just wondering if anyone has a Strongarm tank fitted - what do you thik of it, have you had any problems etc. Any comments and feedback welcome.
Cheers
Lian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrol22 - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 14:44

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 14:44
I previously had an Opposite Lock long range (160ltr) tank fitted to my Navara and it lasted just 3 years before the insides rusted and gunk was clogging the filter. I shopped around and took advice from a number of 4WD mechanics (not just the guys who sell tanks) and the common advice I got was to ensure that any replacement tank be made of aluminised steel. I believe that Longranger is but don't know about Brown Davis. LRA is aluminised steel and this is the one I ended up getting for my ute as it was the largest one made.
AnswerID: 506104

Reply By: NTVRX - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 16:06

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 16:06
I have a 60 ltr LRA tank fitted & very happy with it. Have a look on the Pajero Club of Victoria website. Like this forum you will find some very helpful people there. I own a 2009 Pajero VR-X because it has twin a/cond systems a 60 ltr is the max that can be fitted. The crew at LRA are very professional...I am not affiliated.blah...blah....
AnswerID: 506108

Reply By: patsproule - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 17:04

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 17:04
THe LRA tank on my current NP has been fitted to three vehicles now. It's the best mod to a Pajero in my opinion.
AnswerID: 506110

Reply By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 18:35

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 18:35
I have a LRA and would not have anything else. It started out as a 170 lt tank but it has been dinged so many times it is now about 150 lt. But despite the bashing it is holding up well with no sign of a leak. The Beimers brothers at Lilydale (the owners) really know there stuff and I have found them excellent to deal with. I know that LRA tanks come with comprehensive installation guide which must be followed to the letter as a correct installation is extremely important. No matter which tank you decide on, be paranoid about the installation I cannot stress how important it is that the manufactures instructions are adhered too.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 506118

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 19:20

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 19:20
We have the Longranger dual fuel and water one fitted to our 100 series. Only issue was a funny taste that is slowly disappearing.

125 ltrs fuel and 55 ltrs water.

Phil
AnswerID: 506120

Follow Up By: Member - Hunter Gatherer - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 19:37

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 19:37
125litres fuel and 55 litres water mix would have a funny taste surprised it is slowly disappearing !!!!! LOL.
FollowupID: 783081

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 20:02

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 20:02
Cheaper than going to Bali to get it.

Like I said "dual". One tank with two separate cells.

Phil
FollowupID: 783083

Reply By: PajDIDauto - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 22:04

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 22:04
I too have a Long Range Automotive (LRA) tank and am very happy with it. I know a few paj owners with the 70lt Strongarm tank and they are happy with theirs as well. Its worth doing a search on the Pajero Club website mentioned above - there is some good info on tanks and the issues experienced with some brands.
AnswerID: 506133

Reply By: Member - lcyeap - Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 22:16

Tuesday, Mar 05, 2013 at 22:16
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Have spent a lot of time on the VicbPajero forum - all the brands seem to have had their issues at some point. Haven't been able to find much feedback on the Strongarm ones until now. Being locally made is a bonus
AnswerID: 506135

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 08:17

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 08:17
Apart from the issue of which brand, here's something I learn't about LR tanks. Have an additional simple in line fuel filter put in in the line where it exits the tank. LR tanks seem to rust/gunk up faster than main tanks. I had regular problems until my garage suggested this. I only use the lr tank on long trips, I dont want to be hauling all that weight all the time. Probably most people use LR tanks the same way and this does lead to them gunking up more than regular tanks. I only change the extra filter every second filter service (unless I have been doing a lot of bush or highway running and therefore using it a lot)
AnswerID: 506156

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 09:09

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 09:09
Long Range tanks have had a checked history - a lot of it due to bad mounting that leaves stress points.

The best advice is to ensure that they fit it and you can take it back if a problem develops - its worth the installation cost.

After its done use it a couple of times before going anywhere - also be sure you have a process to be able to get fuel out of drain hole and put it back into main tank (even a bucket will do.)
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 506159

Reply By: Member - Stickz - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 09:35

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 09:35
Hi Lian, Have used Brown Davis LR tank on a GQ diesel Patrol, back in the early 90's. During 12 years of use, although the Patrol has since been sold, no problems with the LR tank at all during that period. Aluminised steel is the only way to go for LR tanks. The advice I was provided at the time, all those years ago, was to fill the tank at regular intervals & not to run them continuously only part filled.

Cheers
Stickz
AnswerID: 506162

Reply By: Derek Jones - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:49

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:49
A slightly different look at the issue.

Do you really need a LRT? Diesel is fairly easy to get up north and unless you are travelling the CSR I would suspect a LRT is overkill.

Sure it means you may have to pull in and pay top dollar for your fuel but it will take a lot of fills at top dollar prices before you are ahead/behind (whichever way you look at it) in your LRT investment.

Just a different perspective.
AnswerID: 506173

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 12:44

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 12:44
Derek, I agree. I am guessing the Paj has a range of at least 700 to 800 km as it is. There aren't many situations where its that far between drinks. And when it is, jerries are light, cheap, portable (can be used on other vehicles), and can be removed from the vehicle to reduce weight if needed.

With a LRT you are putting all your eggs in a very expensive basket.

Bob
FollowupID: 783120

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 12:50

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 12:50
To go on (ad nauseum), I suspect LR Tanks are a bit like winches, bull bars and hi-lift jacks. People are under the impression that are "essential" and are only too willing to invest lots of cash in their beloved truck. The reality of course is that they are completely unnecessary, load the vehicle with excess weight, and cost an arm and a leg.

Bob (the cynic)
FollowupID: 783121

Follow Up By: Derek Jones - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 13:00

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 13:00
Just did some quick maths.

Assume 100l tank.

Every 10c/pl premium diesel price costs an extra $10.

Takes lots of premium priced diesel to cut out the cost of a LRT.

Food for thought?

FollowupID: 783124

Follow Up By: Member - lcyeap - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 18:48

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 18:48
Thanks for the tips and suggestion. Yeah it's the Canning we plan to do. Going with friends who've driven it a couple of times. They are going to carry the majority of the fuel ( in a unimog) but we want to be somewhat self sufficient should something disaterous happen
FollowupID: 783138

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 19:41

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 19:41
Yep,
it is nice when the town you go through "Halls Creek" has no fuel and there are wall to wall vehicles and vans lined up waiting. Derby to kununurra with the van in tow.

Loved my long range tank.

RA.
FollowupID: 783141

Sponsored Links