Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: caseh - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:14

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:14
Hi Bill

Totally depends what your into. The first time we stopped of there we went into the information office. Told the lady behind the counter we would be there for a week and what could we do.
The reply was that she could give us something for the first three days and that we would be on our own after that.
Brilliant! I am into twitching (birding) so like being by myself anyway. Had no trouble amusing ourselves, went back the following year and will be going there again this year.

The gorge is beautiful, there are some lovely walks and places to camp out in the peace and quiet. If you are there long term volunteer for some work in the area to pass the time.

Success, cheers, Case
AnswerID: 506168

Reply By: Derek Jones - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:33

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 11:33
H Bill,

Lived on Go Go Station (now Bayulu Aboriginal Community) for three years as a kid. Lots of really fond memories.

Hunting trips to local Billabongs and local stations chasing feral animals after school and on weekends, catching wild piglets by hand, duck shooting, fishing and swimming in the billabongs at the rivers in the area, catching Cherabin throughout the area, swimming in the Fitzroy R, trips away to places like Halls Creek, Kunnunurra, Broome, Alice Springs and Derby and places in between on school holidays.

Given we were 'local' we also got to see many wonderful gorges and natural rock holes in the area that are probably now behind locked station gates. Get to know the locals and you'll probably get invited into these little treasures too.

There is an ancient fossil reef just south of Bayulu (not sure what access is like) and of course you are close to the Gibb River Road. Mind you when we were there the Gibb was a real track and as we only had a conventional car getting into the real out of the way places was beyond our reach.
AnswerID: 506170

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 20:20

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 20:20
Derek, I would like to PM you but don't know how - or even if I can. Is there a way I can message you?

cheers, Bill
FollowupID: 783145

Reply By: Derek Jones - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 21:07

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 21:07
Bang me an email - derekjones1 at bigpond.com

Might be easier.
AnswerID: 506215

Reply By: exmouth1 - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 21:11

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 21:11
G, Day Bill
Fitzroy is great place, plenty of Barra in the Fitzroy and Leonard rivers, you need to play by the Giekie gorge Nat Park rules for boat use. Mimbi caves and karts system is worth a look, Cave creek is OK as is some of the other gorges like Brooking, Mt Pierre, Windjana and Leonard.
Plenty of aboriginal art in the area, you will need permission to see. The Giekie, Napier, Leonard Ranges are Devonian reef systems approximately 350 million years old.
Enjoy
JOHN (EXMOUTH 1)
AnswerID: 506217

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 22:03

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 22:03
Bill, if you like hunting and fishing that would take up most of your spare time as there lots of places around with feral pigs and if you are going to live in the area it won't take you long to get to know the station owners around.Lots of bara at the right time of year and cherabin as well. For a bit of " city" life Broome is not that far away.
AnswerID: 506221

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 00:31

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 00:31
I haven't shot a rifle for over 30 years but wouldn't be adverse to getting a license - if I can find a friendly land owner. Fishing I love. Need a boat?

Are there crocs?
FollowupID: 783153

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 01:09

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 01:09
Bill, if you are going to be there for a while I would recommend getting a rifle if possible as I am sure it won,t take you long to get permission to shoot on a station.Possibly a 223 or 243 for pigs.The licensing of a firearm is best left for when you are there as W.Australia makes it very hard for people bringing in firearms from other states.A boat is not nessesary for fishing the river and billabongs but is always handy to have.There are no salties(crocs) on the Fitzroy that far up but if fishing the mouth area be careful.I go through there every year but spend most of my time in theTerritory and N.Queensland where I do a lot of pig shooting.
AnswerID: 506231

Follow Up By: Bill BD - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 05:14

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 05:14
Thanks Rambler. I am in WA. I would wait until I'm there as I don't want to set up a gun safe here then have to move it. I am only fact finding at the moment at the move is not confirmed. It is starting to sound interesting though.
FollowupID: 783156

Sponsored Links