Which handheld UHF radio - Uniden or GME?

I'm looking at getting a pair of handheld UHF radios. We won't be travelling in a convoy, but may want to communicate with other traffic (or simply listen in for a bit of entertainment). I'm also wanting handheld so we can have easy communication if my husband and I are going in different directions (eg one shopping, one somewhere with the kids). I don't want to spend a fortune as it is mainly for a single 3 month trip. But there's no point buying rubbish either.
I have found these two which are around my budget:
UNIDEN UH710SX-2NB, which supposedly has a 6km range, for around $150
or
GME 2 Watt TX670TP twin pack 80 channel for $169

Any thoughts or feedback on these?
Thanks so much. Looking forward to answering others questions once our trip is over and I actually have knowledge to contribute!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 15:16

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 15:16
Carolyn R2
For what you seem to need I think you would be better to buy just a cheapie which may rely on dry cells or rechargeable AA's or maybe AAA for the around town stuff.
Put the remainder of your of the budget into either a handheld (or fixed incar radio) which you can either use with it's supplied aerial or be able to attach a magnetic base aerial on the roof.

The larger capacity radio will pick up and transmit over far greater distances because of it's increased power wattage output and so be of greater use in actually being able to contact someone you can't see. The two will still be good for shopping contact in town etc but a 5watt unit will allow some level of safety/emergency contact which two little ones will not be able to do at all.
If listening in you may hear some new words the kids possibly know but you have never heard before.
I prefer GME as it is all I have had in UHF and been excellent. Others are good too but my 5w handheld with a higher gain antennae will trigger and talk to towers 100km away in the right conditions ie Oodnadatta track used at a M/C crash for ambulance. He lived.

Regards
Ross M
AnswerID: 506186

Follow Up By: Carolyn R2 - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 16:18

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 16:18
Thanks Ross. How much would I be looking at for the vehicle unit and would this require any car modifications as I am not too keen on making many more changes to a car we may sell after the trip. I was planning to take a day phone for emergencies but do you think a long range radio is better/sufficient?
FollowupID: 783129

Follow Up By: Ross M - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 18:06

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 18:06
Carolyn
You don't necessarily need an "in car" setup" ifyou are going to change vehicles.
A 5Watt handheld with an adapter in place of the standard aerial will allow the connection of a a coax cable to the magnetic base aerial on the roof.
These are reasonably efficient and are easily stowed away when parked or not in use.
For a more serious setup the handheld with it's coaxial cable can go to a "base loaded" aerial (more fixed than the magnet one) fitted to a roof rack or side bonnet mount bracket.
Most of these are as good as and in most cases far better than the big white aerials you see on the B&S porcupine utes.

There are many options and others will also have ideas on what is applicable.
To be a bit more serious than the little around towners will probably require an inflation of the budget though, whichever option you choose.
It all depends on where you are going. Mostly a phone in the outback is useless if not near a reasonable sized settlement and then onlyTelstra is any good anyway.
Unless you spend hundreds more for a SAT phone or $3000 to $4000 for a HF radio the above stuff seems to be the options.
All depends on places travelled and need, oh and budget.

Ross M
FollowupID: 783137

Follow Up By: Carolyn R2 - Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 22:25

Wednesday, Mar 06, 2013 at 22:25
Thanks for all that Ross. My post was supposed to say sat phone, not day phone, problem with typing on my mobile! Was planning on a second hand Sat phone plus basic UHF radio.
FollowupID: 783150

Follow Up By: Member - Legendts - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 16:21

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 16:21
Carolyn, re the Sat phone check out Client Sat and you may also be eligible for one of the subsidies. I got a new one from them for $118 with the full subsidy. I live in a non mobile reception area but would certainly be worth a free phone call.
Good luck on your trip too.
FollowupID: 783186

Follow Up By: 489 - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 20:23

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 20:23
hi there carolyn,
I use 2 icom 41s 80 channel 5watt hand helds when both the cook and i separate into different directions along with an 80 channel 400pro remote icom in the vechile. Yes these radios are more expensive but you get what you pay for. I'm an icom person from way back for quality and back-up. There is nothing wrong with the other radios , but to get the distance you quote i would assume these are 5watt radios not 2watt. hope this will help
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 783206

Follow Up By: 489 - Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 20:29

Thursday, Mar 07, 2013 at 20:29
forgot you can get an adaptor to connect to a remote ariel. eg 4dbgain dipoleor better and a power cord to plug into your vechile power supply in the cabin
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 783208

Sponsored Links