Waste Water question....?

Submitted: Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 08:31
ThreadID: 100954 Views:4513 Replies:14 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
I'm about to "engage" my local Council re our free overnight camp, & their idea of a
Development Plan. They are intent on restricting use to Fully Self Contained Vehicles,
& the criteria seems to leave about 80% of us happy campers out of contention.
My question relates to what happens to waste water from your van sink ? In a modern
shower/toilet van is it collected in the waste tank?..sometimes..?..never..?
I need this info to help/hinder my case of discrimination under the current proposal.
All input will be very welcome..cheers.....oldbaz.
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Racey - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 09:06

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 09:06
Hi Oldbaz, We are among the 80% also. My observation is that very few caravans have grey water tanks and sticking my head out, I say less than 2%. It's amazing how attitudes change. Many commercial parks, mainly country areas, rely on the sullage to water the trees etc. The odd food scrap that gets washed down is soon snapped up by the local wild life. Councils are becoming over re-active on so called environmental issues.

Cheers
Racey
AnswerID: 506316

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 10:10

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 10:10
Thank you. That is close to my take on it too. Fortunately, Councils
reaction seems to be more of a "cover my arse" strategy using the
environment as the reason. More on this in my response below.
cheers...oldbaz.
FollowupID: 783251

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 14:16

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 14:16
Gray water is not a problem in sandy soils – it soaks in.
In clay soils it’s a cosmetic thing – looks a bit messy.
It doesn’t take Einstein to filter out the food scraps.

FollowupID: 783275

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 14:27

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 14:27
By the way urine makes a good fertiliser – needs to be broken down with water or you risk burning the plants. Also better for the planet than chemicals.
FollowupID: 783276

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 10:00

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 10:00
Hi Oldbaz

I can see where you are coming from and I sympathise with you.

However, I am one of those who is self contained. Our 'van was originally like most others that let the water run out either onto plants or elsewhere. Several years ago we fitted a grey water tank onto our 'van. This has allowed us entry into anywhere. What we take in we bring out with us to be unloaded into an appropriate dump point that are becoming more abundant. Even the small town of Coen in Far North Qld has one.

By managing the grey water, we have had no problems with food scraps into the grey water tank.

Like everyone, I have seen locations that have been left in a terrible state by previous inhabitants. One that comes to mind is just near Alice Springs and it was disgraceful.

This will be one of the reasons that councils are tightening up on overnight free camps. It is the council that has to clean up the mess left behind, be it either rubbish or wet areas or even worse, human waste. My thought is that the councils will not put up with the added problem.

It is not difficult to fit the tank and do the required plumbing to capture the grey water. Luckily our 'van was originally fitted with a toilet and shower.

Good luck.

DW

AnswerID: 506323

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 10:25

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 10:25
Thank you DW. Fortunately, the Development Plan proposed is more
of an environmental issue combined with perceived liability issues.
Apparently calling a Council run camp a "caravan park" brings
certain conditions into play re the facilities that have to be provided.
It seems the renaming as a "Rest Area" removes such requirements,
& Council appears to be going to make that change. While I have no
argument against 'Fully Self Contained Vehicles", & admire your
efforts to protect our environment with your rig, the parameters
seem very restrictive.
The area is very well used by folk ranging from tenters to large
Winnebagos, & apart from minor generator issues (not yet covered
by signage) very little rubbish or pollution occurs. Toilets, showers
& water is provided. Use is free for 48 hrs with a donation location
close by, that is well supported, as are local businesses.
I see the proposed limitations as being difficult to enforce & will try
to see a more relaxed attitude adopted towards all users.
cheers...oldbaz
FollowupID: 783252

Follow Up By: Noosa Fox - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 12:27

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 12:27
Our van was also one of the ones that allowed all the grey water to just flow out on the ground until I did a modification and fitted a grey water tank.
I bought a second-hand Camel water tank as they have several screw type inlet and outlet points in them so it was very easy to run the kitchen sink and hand basin into the top of the tank, but the shower with the lower outlet had to enter the tank via the outlet point.
I just used a T piece near the outlet of the tank and then fitted a tap in the line after that so that when the tap is closed shower water enters the tank and when empty it can flow to a suitable waste point.

I hate seeing caravans on sealed surfaces where they wash the dishes or hands and the water runs out on the parking area and often travels many metres down hill under other vehicles etc.

We have had ours fitted for a couple of years now and have not experienced any odours coming out of the tank.

Brian
Brian
Doing it tuff, Towing a Bushtracker.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783329

Reply By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 11:00

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 11:00
Old Baz,

I saw advertised the other day a waste water tank that was mobile. We have plenty of water on board but our grey water just runs out. My thinking was to get one of these mobile tanks, only 40L though, and become self contained.

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/Portable-40L-Wheel-Water-Tank-Camping-Motorhome-Caravan-Storage-Waste-Transport-p201620.htm

During the drought years we used our grey water to water our garden. I guess what I'm saying is that grey water isn't a problem and should not result in banning of vans etc that don't collect their grey water.

Di
AnswerID: 506327

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 11:30

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 11:30
Hello Di, we agree on the grey water thing. That tank looks like a
useful article. I use a 20l plastic container under the van sink. I've
never liked those black sullage hoses..they look like a bacteria trap to
me. Water is then used to water any shrub etc or put down the
sullage drain if available. cheers...oldbaz.
FollowupID: 783261

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 12:26

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 12:26
Hi Oldbaz,
In NSW the National Parks now require you to have grey water tanks or some sort of storage vessel, the same size as the water tank that is in you van, car, trailer etc. So what you bring in you bring out.
A few years ago their was a free camp near my place and it was on the river bank. Many a time I noticed the grey water hose going straight into the river. This was brought to the councils attention, they erected signs and poles stopping the free camp. It is now used as a picnic area for all to use, not just a van blocking the access to the river.
If people pollute you will lose it for ever. There is no excuse putting grey water onto public lands.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 506335

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 13:11

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 13:11
Hullo Andy and Oldbaz

I think the issue is about people's attitudes, not necessarily about what they chose to tour around in. If someone is too lazy, unaware, selfish, anti-social, or whatever, and empties grey water directly into a stream, they will do it whether they have a caravan, CT, tent, swag, etc. With portable showers and shower tents, wash up basins on legs, banning one form of transport doesn't make a lot of sense. Even at a declared picnic site, I have seen some people throw their scraps in the bush and chuck their washing up water on the ground.

As to having a grey water tank the same size as their water capacity, how silly can you get! No one with a large capacity storage is going to use the lot in one place. For example, we carry 445 litres of water in 5 tanks. Between the 2 of us, we would use about 10 litres of water for a shower with little or no soap and about the same amount (or less) for washing up. (Marvellous how living in a boat at sea trains you to be frugal :) If required, the grey water goes into a 20 litre container for disposal later.

Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 783267

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 13:36

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 13:36
Andrew do you have a link to this requirement in NSW NP's? Did a bit of Googling but couldn't find anything - but I have found from experience that the parks website is good at putting things in "fine print".

IF they were to strictly enforce such a rule (and I doubt that they could) it could effectively exclude a majority of park visitors. But maybe thats what they want?

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 783270

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 19:09

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 19:09
Hi Andrew,
I have 2x 85lt tanks one for fresh water other for grey water. I shower in a large plastic wash tub and pump the water back into the grey water tank same with washing up water.
As for the size of the tank, if you only had 100lt in a 445 lt tank you would only need a 100lt grey water tank. It says " You must have a container big enough to hold the same amount of water as you brought into the park".
I might have mislead you in my post as saying the same size. basically what you take in you take out.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783293

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 14:07

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 14:07
Hi Oldbaz,

We have a shower and toilet in our van but no grey water tank. On most occasions when we free camp we tend to go bush by ourselves and the small amount of water we use flows via a black sullage hose away from the van and onto nearby vegetation. If we stay in a designated 'rest area' we also usually do this so there is no visible wet area left when we move although because we choose ones without flushing toilets, and with dirt road access, there are usually few other occupants.

We have so far chosen not to stay anywhere with 'self contained vehicles only' signage however have invested in a few collapsible 20 litre containers and if it were absolutely necessary to do so and there was no other camping option available, would place our waste water in them and carry it out.
The National Park campgrounds we have stayed in do not have any signage regarding this and we have never had a problem, although we were questioned about it in one North coast NSW park a couple of years ago.
Many van parks ask that we run grey water onto plants even when there is a sullage point.
I can see this becoming a big issue especially with many new vans having a washing machine as standard as they use considerably more water than vans without one although I guess they are limited as far as available water. And because more and more people are choosing to stay in free and low cost camps more water is being left on site.

regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 506338

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 14:55

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 14:55
Hi Heather, nice to hear from you. Can you clarify that your new van
doesnt collect the shower water, as this is the type of info I need.
While I cant fight them on all the environmental issues, I may be able to refine their plans if I can show that the criteria will exclude
nearly everyone.
On a different vein...when are you off to the west ?..& what route
are you taking ?. I know we are probably too close for a first night camp, but at 2 min off the highway..a brief stop may be possible.
It would be nice to see you again..
I fully understand why you drain the water away....if it formed a
puddle John would be fishing in it...:))))))..regards.....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 783278

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 15:45

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 15:45
Hi Baz,

No the new van does not have a grey water tank to collect the shower water, although we did think about putting one on. (It does n't have a washing machine either.)

We leave home on 8th April however are travelling via Mallacoota and are booked in there a for 10 days, so unfortunately can't take you up on the offer of calling in...some other time maybe though.

We meet up in Mallacoota with Johns sister and Brother in law who are going to accompany us to the west and we are thinking about taking the Alpine road over Mt Hotham and Harrietville to Bright from there. Otherwise going via Cann River and then to Bombala, Cooma and across to Tumut and then Wagga...undecided as yet.

The men are starting the trip with fishing, fishing and more fishing....
however if thats what it take for me to get away in the van for 6 months I can put up with it!

What are your plans for travel?

Good luck with your interraction with Council.

regards,

Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783281

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 16:24

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 16:24
Hi Heather, thanks for the info. Our departure is May 18..via Bourke,
Cameron Corner,Innamincka, Boulia, Plenty, Alice, Uluru, GCR,
Leonora,Wiluna,Newman, Karijini..then south to Freo, home via
Nullabor. Doesnt sound much if you say it quick..:))). all weather permitting, of coarse, We might find
you meandering up the coast somewhere...cheers....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 783282

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 03:33

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 03:33
How long are you going to be in Freo for Oldbaz????

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783315

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 06:20

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 06:20
Hi Oldbaz,
Sounds like a wonderful trip...so much red dirt which I love. As you know we did the Corner Country and Dig tree last Winter and had a fantastic time.
We will keep a lookout for you.We are the 'Glyde Inn' and have ExplorOz wheel cover and garbage bag on van spare...easy to spot.

The only place I have booked us into is Cape range National Park near Exmouth from 25th June for 4 nights..staying Osprey Bay campground.We couldn't get a site last trip and were disappointed so looking forward to that.
We will be south of there before and North (probably Karajini afterwards).

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783316

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 11:08

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 11:08
G'day Dunworkin, we will only have 2 nights in Freo, & have to visit
2 lots of relo's...one at Erskine, the other at Munster . We plan to
stay at Woodman Point C/p. If things go to plan we should be there
Friday June 21st, & Sat 22nd.
cheers.....oldbaz.
FollowupID: 783324

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 15:45

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 15:45
When the drought was about we used our grey water to keep the gardens and the lawn going without any problems except the manual labour involved.

We have a van that has a cassette toilet and a shower that runs out from the same waste pipe as the sink, I have made up a fitting hat connects to this and runs the waste water into a container for when we are in sensitive areas.
However when bush camped we run it out to a tree or some shrubbery.
Sometimes I dig a hoe about 30cm deep and run the waste into that so that it soaks away and does not run away. AS for the scraps that go down we either leave them for the birds etc or in some areas an old stocking over the end does the trick.

Me also thinks that councils are covering their tails as well.

However there will always be a minority that leaves a mess behind no matter what the legislation is.

EG. Law does not stop theives or murderers.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 506346

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 19:41

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 19:41
Hi Oldbaz,
Our van does NOT have a grey water tank either.

I have not heard about National Parks in NSW requiring grey water storage. This is news to me. I know many of us would like to see some evidence of that before we would believe it.

How do campers in National Parks go when they wash up in a dish. Do they then tip the water back into a greay water container???. I think not. It gets tossed over the nearest tree or bush. If anybody thinks other wise then they are kidding themselves.

Many caravan parks still do not have sullage disposal at each site anyway.
I really cannot see the issue here. In my opinion it is just a spinoff of this "Leave No Trace" policy pushed by the self appointed touring aristocracy.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 506359

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 20:13

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 20:13
Hi Oldbaz

Good on you - we need to start with our own Councils.

Fully self contained means able to remove water from the site for appropriate disposal. It does not mean the tank has to be a fixture. We carry a collapsible 20 litre water cannister should we ever need to remove the water.

Will i get into trouble with the Mods if I mention another forum? We have several very recent threads on this topic including a Poll on fitted grey water tanks. Let me know if you would like links - I don't want to breech any policies here although I think it is OK.

Not one single site has been named where portable water removal methods are not accepted. These methods also meets the requirements of the CMCA Leave No Trace Scheme.

It is about the behaviour not the equipment.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 506360

Follow Up By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 11:20

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 11:20
Aaah, Motherhen,astute as ever. My plan of attack is to insist on the
availability of a dump point. As toilets exist already, this shouldnt be
a huge deal. As Councils continue to tighten restrictions & insist on
containment, they cannot do so without disposal facilities. Your
point re portable collection vessels then becomes most relevant, as
users of all types of vehicles can then dispose of grey water, (and
effluent) in an environmentally sound way.
I would indeed like the link you speak of, maybe by MM if you
dont wish to post on the forum.
Thanks for your interest.......oldbaz.
FollowupID: 783325

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 18:46

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 18:46
I too have hassled my Council to put in a dump point - well subsidised by the CMCA CMCA Dump Point Scheme but they still baulked and put in free power in the caravan (day only) parking area instead.

Your town can even go the whole way and go for CMCA RV Friendly Towns Scheme but a few simple things like dump point, big rig parking near CBD and 48 - 72 hour parking at low cost or free near to the town will satisfy many and invite them to come and stay and patronise town businesses.

Dump points are a health issue like public toilets. Now many travellers no longer rely on using public toilet as they have there own so it is a just a shift of use. My husband is quite irate that some towns do not see the public health necessity.

Relevant recent links Poll on fitted grey water tanks and Compulsory grey water tank - where at?. There are many others on this oft discussed topic. It is easy to dispose of grey water sensibly - even for tenters.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783349

Reply By: Member bronty - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 20:25

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 20:25
gooday our new van does not have a grey water tank either.
tony
AnswerID: 506361

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 21:02

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 21:02
Grey water tanks are the result of a very small minority of over zealous individuals trying to push their views onto the majority who, unfortunately, are afraid of being seen as politically incorrect.

Which brings us to the definition of "political correctness", which is:

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 506362

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 18:11

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 18:11
Well said there Gone Bush, my sentiments exactly.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783342

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 19:46

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 19:46
Thanks Bruce and OldBaz (for your "thanks").

Just to clarify, this definition originates in the US where "liberal" means "socialist" over there.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783352

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 21:20

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 21:20
Political correctness is entirely in the eye of the beholder and people who use it as an excuse to rail against some restriction they don't like invariably have at least one eye closed.
FollowupID: 783365

Reply By: Member - J&R - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 21:16

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 21:16
Leave only footprints......
AnswerID: 506364

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 22:25

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 22:25
Hi Baz

I will never forget the mess that three vans made at Coward Springs on the Oodnadatta Track on the night of Tuesday 7th August last year. All lovely and new and looking as they are on their first drive. Waste water from showers and washing up just dumped on the ground. And they ignored requests from nearby tent campers to clean the smelly gunk up. Funny when I caught up to them broken down that all I could offer was a call to the RAC and maybe they should clean up their mess in future. Not happy caravanners!!!!!

Maybe this is why the council wants all to be "self sufficient".

Phil
AnswerID: 506370

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 18:25

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 18:25
Hi Phil,
Reminds me of the story my brother (Motorhome owner and member of the CMCA) was telling me about a guy in a fully self contained motorhome who pulled into the garage where he works.

His black water tank valve was open and dripping its contents along the driveway as he pulled in so the brother told him that he was commiting an illegal act by dumping his black water as he drove along the highway.

The guy told him to mind his own business but not in such polite terms.

No matter what you do you cannot educate some people and rules mean little to them unless there is someone in a uniform nearby.

The best we can do is lead by example and hope they will aspire to our standards.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783343

Reply By: BrigalowO - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 08:14

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 08:14
I have just finished installing a grey water tank for our new van. We had one fitted in the previous van, which worked very well for us. It is not something everyone might feel the need for, but I personally feel more comfortable in having it as not.

My motivation was borne out of a disgusting sight a few years back, in observing a lazy motorhomer draining his kitchen food scraps etc straight onto the hard stand area of a boat launching ramp on the Far North Coast of NSW. It was not a pretty sight, and I swore that I would always have a grey water tank, if only to satisfy myself, that I was trying to do the right thing, especially as non-complying recreational vehicles are, more and more, being restricted by some over zealous councils in established parks, and recreational areas.

Lets face it, there are an awful lot of system abusers out there and I don't want to be seen as one of them, so I don't know about others here, but I have observed far too many recreational vehicle owners, stopping for smoko, or lunch etc, then running kitchen sink waste water directly into the kerbside gutters.

Which would be more acceptable.........someone dumping it straight onto the ground, someone running grey waste into a bucket, which needs to be gotten rid of before they can drive off, or someone with a grey water tank at least holding their grey water to dispose of later? I believe that in time, it will become mandatory, because of the above, but not only that, it makes life easy, when you camp in short stay rest areas and overnighters, and need to quickly store and eventually dispose of your grey water.

In having a grey water tank, it sort of completes the picture, especially in todays r/v lifestyle, in having showers and toilet facilities on board and being totally self contained. That's how I see it, but each to his/her own. That is not political correctness, it is just being considerate of others and the surrounds.
AnswerID: 506379

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 08:15

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 08:15
Oldbaz unfortunately it is a sign of the times, increasing numbers of people doing what lots of us have done for years and the resultant over use of lots of areas increases the problem. What we all have done in the past is now not sustainable as the environment in well used areas cannot handle the amounts some dispose of. Take a walk into the scrub around rest areas and it is disgusting, along the edge is the gray water waste, grease and food scraps and further in the ever present loo paper confetti and waste exposed on the ground. The problem is that people tend to use the sink etc just like they do at home and wash everything down the drain. Whereas what they should be doing is wiping plates and food scraps into the garbage and then washing the plates etc.
We've just spent a six months travelling around in North America and in most states over there it is an on the spot offence to dump grey water anywhere full stop. Most State & NP's have a sign to that effect and advise to collect all grey water and dump it down the loo's. Most of their loo's in parks are just a big tank which is pumped out when required.
We used a coleman type collapsible water container or a plastic washing up dish to collect grey water and then emptied it as required.
I'd reckon the vast majority of RV's over there have grey tanks and eventually most here will as well.
When we fitted out our Oka as a motorhome I fitted a 30 litre grey water tank which is more than sufficient for a 48 hour stay and if washing up is done in a plastic dish and then emptied into the rest area loo then the length of stay could be increased.
AnswerID: 506380

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 12:39

Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 12:39
Peter, you make good sense, but I'm concerned that a trend started in the US (and maybe NZ) might be picked up willy-nilly by local govt in an effort to cover their liability over real or imagined public health issues.

Australia is in many respects different to both US and NZ and those differences should be factored in to any response to waste water disposal. For starters for every one person travelling in Australia there are a dozen or so in the US so its easy to see that there would be more need to avoid inappropriate disposal of waste water. Much of the US has a wetter and colder climate too, so waste water wont dissipate so easily.

Any Australian limitations or regulations should be based on our particular environmental and demographic requirements.

I don't know the proportion of travellers in the US who use tents or camper trailers or variants on that theme, but as a traveller who uses such a space (and by implication, water) constrained system I am concerned that the implications of this trend (if it is a trend) could be unduly limiting for the considerable number of responsible travellers like us.

By all means install grey water tanks where possible in large caravans and motorhomes, but owners of small rigs should watch this development very carefully.

More to the point, before restrictions and laws etc become a reality, a sensible well run education campaign should be the first tactic to get people on the road to do the right thing WRT to proper disposal of ALL waste. To date I am not aware of any such campaign, apart from the LNT guidelines, and those don't seem to be spread much beyond the caravanning set. We just assume that everyone that sets off to see the sights knows how to do the right thing or has a modicum of common sense - but the evidence shows that there are many who genuinely dont have a clue. Lets tackle that so that travellers can make informed choices about the actions they take when they are out "camping".

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783404

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 13:30

Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 13:30
Unfortunately John/Val we are experiencing ever increasing numbers of people travelling, apparently caravan and camper sales are increasing all the time so it will only get worse, hopefully not to the same levels experienced in NA.
Regulations are already being tightened here too, we've found a few caravan parks, rec areas etc that have a no grey water on the ground policy and we try to avoid parks as a rule so they must be increasing.
There are also staring to be places mostly along the coastal fringe where you cannot camp without having a porta potti as a minimum.
But you are correct in that lots don't have a clue, when I was instructing at driver training courses it was part of the curriculum and most had never given it any thought.
FollowupID: 783419

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 13:55

Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 13:55
From what I have read NZ used to specify fitted grey water tanks but that has now been changed to allow portable containers to be used to remove grey water from a site.
FollowupID: 783424

Sponsored Links