General Grabber tyres

Submitted: Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 15:53
ThreadID: 100961 Views:4147 Replies:11 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to change tyres on the Triton, I was fully going to get BFG's but on pricing them I took a step backward.

The retailer suggested GG's A/T2 as an alternative at nearly $120 cheaper. They are similar looking to BFG's.

I did a search here but found no info less than 5 years old.

Does anyone use them? Know anyone using them?

I'll be honest wanting A/T's for looks as much as anything doing 90% highway driving with quite a lot with a 2T van in tow.

Cheers Neil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 16:11

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 16:11
I brought 6 for my 100 series the other day from Tyrepower for $1530. Great price for tyres made in the US. Well known in the US with plenty of good reviews. I brought them because two other members in our club had them on a trip to Arnham Land last year and when we all got home my Coopers were like rags there's looked like they had never been of the black stuff and no noticeable wear. Don't think about it do it.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 506347

Reply By: Hi-ryder - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 16:43

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 16:43
Hi Neil i brought my Triton two weeks ago and they are wrapped in GG's AT . I cant say too much yet but they are quiet seem to pull up alright . From what people tell me they are a great tyre . Time will tell ,Sorry not much help .
AnswerID: 506350

Reply By: garrycol - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 16:53

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 16:53
The AT2 is a superceded GG - the current version is the AT. I have them on my car and they are OK.

While they are certainly cheaper than the BFGs note that the GG are a passenger rated tyre (P) while the BFGs are a Light Truck (LT) tyre so the BFGs are a bit more heavily constructed.

Depends on what type of driving you are doing - P ratings are OK if the load rating is OK for most outback driving but id driving in areas where tyre damage is possible then LTs will last a bit better.

Garry
AnswerID: 506351

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 21:18

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 21:18
This is the AT brochure AT Brochure- page arrows are at the bottom.

Page 23 compares the superceded AT2 with the new AT.

LTs are available in some sizes but not all sizes.
FollowupID: 783301

Reply By: landseka - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 18:40

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 18:40
Thanks for that info, I think I will give them a go.

Who did you get yours from Chris? You got a better price than I was quoted. Oops, just re-read. Strange, Tyrepower were $30 each dearer than Bob Jane for my quote, only 4 tyres though.

Garry, from what I read, the AT2 IS a LT, as can be seen in the pic. The AT is the highway tread.

From what I have heard and seen from your replys I will try them.

Thanks for your time

Neil
AnswerID: 506356

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 19:15

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 19:15
Look great don't they. I do not like the white writing on the outside as it does not stay white long and then looks dirty and tatty so when I had mine fitted I had them mounted with the white writing on the inside. Your choice.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783294

Follow Up By: garrycol - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 21:00

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 21:00
Most sizes are P rated not LT - depends on the size you need.

The AT is not the highway tread it is the current All Terrain tread and is superior as an offroad tyre to the superceded AT2.

Many dealer still hold the AT2 and will tell you they are current to try and sell them off.
FollowupID: 783299

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 18:04

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 18:04
For the AT2's I just got I had to wait several weeks for a shipment from the US. The indicated manufacture date was Jan 2013, does not sound like superceded to me. The AT is a relatively new tyre but would not agree that it is a superior offroad tyre. It may well be a superior on road tyre but I have not tested this. Look at the tread pattern and pick the style that you believe best suits your style of driving. Both the AT and the AT2 come in P and LT construction so beware. You should choose the construction most suited to your driving style first and then the brand.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783588

Reply By: Idler Chris - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 19:11

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 19:11
General AT2 are not superseded, they are current and are LT's as well. If you are going offroad P or passenger tyres are not OK unless you are looking for trouble. You need LT tyres because if you are travelling outback you would loaded up and you need them for their load carrying capacity. Additionally you do not put them on because they may last longer but because of their far greater resistance to punctures. I got them from Tyrepower (Manager is Chris Smith - no relation) in Frankston and probably got them cheaper as I got them through our Club. As you are towing a big van a lot of the time LT's make a lot of sense.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 506357

Reply By: Smouch - Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 23:13

Friday, Mar 08, 2013 at 23:13
Perhaps take a look at the AT-M Hankooks. They have quite an agressive look for an AT tyre, come in LT construction and price is not bad either.

I have them on my D40 Nav. So far very happy with them and I couldn't really find any bad reports about them.
AnswerID: 506373

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 00:14

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 00:14
We bought a full set of GG's AT2 for our Kedron last July in Broome. Since then we have travelled around many kilometres including some seriously rough dirt roads - 10,000klms or more later and they are still looking like new. We are very happy wth them.

AnswerID: 506374

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 11:42

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 11:42
BFG A/t LT..245/75/16...set of 4...$979..plus about $20 ea freight.
St George Tyre Service Sydney....Other sizes available.
I bought 2 from them recently..fast delivery..US made....ebay.
cheers.....oldbaz
AnswerID: 506395

Reply By: dazza62 - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 15:10

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 15:10
I put a set of GG AT's on the Pajero in June 2012. So far they have travelled 18,000 kms mostly from Dargo to Sale once a week and some High Country touring. I will be surprised if I get 20,000 kms out of them. Previously had Goodyear Wranglers and achieved almost 80,000 km. Changed to GG AT's due to price saving. Not sure what I will put on next. May go to two sets - one for bush one for road as the weekly trip ispretty harsh.
AnswerID: 506415

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 20:30

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 20:30
I had GG AT2s on a Defender and when I sold it they had 66K on and still looked good for at least another 20K.
They were quiet on the road with good grip and I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.
Much better availalability now than about 5 years ago.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 783356

Reply By: robert s4 - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 14:03

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 14:03
ive got ggat2 on my 2007 patrol i wont buy them again go goodridge even though they r dearer
AnswerID: 506566

Reply By: landseka - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 15:33

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 15:33
Thanks to all who have contributed, I have now decided! To change my mind, again.

I am now looking, actually decided to stick with BFG but a cheaper style tyre. It is their Rugged Terrain. It is designed for mostly highway use with some beach/sand work and much towing.

These still have the macho look but at $100 each cheaper that A/T's they will do me.

Thanks again for your input.

Neil
AnswerID: 506581

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 17:21

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 17:21
Many tyre manufactures make P (Passenger) and LT (Light Truck) construction with the same tread pattern. This confuses many people. You need to make sure you are comparing apples with apples. An LT tyre will be dearer because it has more rubber in it. As you tow a 2t van I would not have anything other than a LT tyre as it can carry the extra weight far better than a passenger tyre. The Rugged Terrain is mostly a P tyre but I believe there are some LT's. Don't believe tyre salesmen, they don't care what they sell you as long as they can get a sale. They are well known to compare the prices of their P rated tyre with someone else's LT tyre. LT tyres can carry more load, have stronger sidewalls so have a greater puncture resistance, can better handle the reduced tyre pressures for when the going gets tuff, and usually have a deeper tread. That is why they are dearer.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783582

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 17:51

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 17:51
Chris,
I disagree only with your expression that LT tyres "...can better handle the reduced tyre pressures for when the going gets tuff,...".
In fact, when operating at significantly reduced pressure, LT tyres with stronger, thicker sidewalls generate more heat than softer, more flexible sidewalls due to sidewall flexing resistance.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 783586

Follow Up By: landseka - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 17:56

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 17:56
Thanks Chris, I did stress I wanted LT tyres and 3 ply sides. He assured me that this was the case. I will check them on Wednesday when he will have them in for fitting.
If they are not then I will walk, no run from there.

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 783587

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 19:11

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 19:11
Hi Allan,
When you try to get your point across in forums such as this you tend to take short cuts and then get mis-understood. You are perfectly right about the heat build up in LT tyres. What I omitted to say was that LT tyres with their stronger sidewalls are much greater resistant to punctures. So we have a trade off between heat and puncture resistance. I suggest the LT is the way to go because the heat takes time to build up before it becomes a problem, whereas stakes are an issue from the moment you move. Additionally the heat build up is more rapid the lower the tyre pressure, but the lower you have to go usually the slower you go or the distance is not as great. There are lots of variables except that LT's will always be more puncture resistant which I believe to be the most important. I have 6 rim mounted Sensatyre tyre monitors. When ever I lower my tyres for traction or comfort I monitor the temps very carefully. My experience is that tyre temps are ALWAYS higher onroad than offroad. If offroad and the tyres get to more than about 45 psi I either put more air in or drive slower, on the highway it is 55 - 60 before I will take action.
Of greater concern to me is that LT's because of the rigidity of the walls that too much distance with low pressures could see a breakdown of the sidewalls due to the constant flexing beyond what they are really designed for. When you replace your tyres you should inspect the inside of the tyre. If it is powdery it indicates the tyre have been run under inflated and the more powdery the more it has been done. They can be very powdery but still OK it is just another thing you need to be aware of and consider.
Cheers Idler Chris

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783596

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 19:33

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 19:33
Yes Chris, there is always a trade-off.
For example, when you lower tyre pressure for a corrugated stony road there is reduced likelihood of tread damage but the slightly bulging sidewalls are probably at more risk of stone cuts.

I agree wholeheartedly about the value of tyre pressure/temperature monitors. I also have rim-mounted monitors and keep a watch on temperature as well as pressure. As you say, the rise is greater off-road.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 783599

Sponsored Links