Great Central Road May 2013. Anyone travelling here?

Hi all

I'm heading to Central Australia and will be travelling to WA from here at the beginning of May this year. I'm considering doing the Great Central Road, however I would prefer to do this with another vehicle. Is anyone travelling in this area at this time and wouldn't mind a tag along?

Also, could someone recommend places to camp on the way from Adelaide to Uluru? I like to camp where there will be a few (not heaps) of people.

Cheers
Chantelle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 11:41

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 11:41
Chantelle,

The road itself is no challenge for a Troopy, so in that respect you are very unlikely to need the support of a companion vehicle. It is wide gravel and usually in pretty good condition.

The road passes through Aboriginal lands, and to westerner's eyes contact with the locals may be pretty unwelcoming.

I agree with your preference for travelling with company. Camping by the side of the road isn't an option, especially for a single woman. Camp at the roadhouses, where you will meet up with others who will be happy to travel with you.

You require two permits, one for the NT, one for the WA side, you need to specify your travel dates, and although extensions are possible, there is a time limit.

Cheers

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 506394

Follow Up By: Candace S. - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 15:00

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 15:00
"Camping by the side of the road isn't an option, especially for a single woman" Oops, didn't know I was breaking the rules during my trip, lol.
FollowupID: 783333

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 17:16

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 17:16
Hi Candace,

"Rules are for the guidance of the wise, and the control of fools"! So this isn't a rule, and in any case I'd count you among the wise, provided that is, you don't under-value the advice of locals! Most places in this country you can simply get well off the road and expect not to be disturbed. The GCR is not considered to be one of them.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 783341

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 20:24

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 20:24
The Cook and I travelled the GCR from the NT last July and counted well over 100 vehicles burnt out or rolled along the way.
The biggest danger there is the locals driving as we had 2 vehicles which we thought were driven by lunatics and both had red "E"plates in the windows.
Otherwise the locals were quite reasonable as they nearly always seem to be.
By the way, we found that many tracks off to the side of the road had been ripped up probably to stop campers from pulling off the road and to make them use the few roadhouses.
Happy travelling.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 783354

Follow Up By: Chantelle J1 - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 23:03

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 23:03
Thanks for the advice. After reading a couple of other threads on this site I'm a little nervous about where to stay. I've traveled alone before, but not so remote. Any advice about where to stay and where to avoid?

Cheers
Chantelle
FollowupID: 784701

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 01:39

Sunday, Mar 24, 2013 at 01:39
Hi Chantelle,

Stay at the roadhouses where there are quite reasonable campgrounds.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 784710

Reply By: andrew b9 - Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 16:34

Saturday, Mar 09, 2013 at 16:34
I've done the trip a few times in the last 6 months.

The road is pretty good in most places, although since we had rain out here recently I'm told the road from Cosmo Newberry to Laverton is pretty rough.

Plenty of fuel stops on the way, but be prepared to pay $2.40 or more a litre.

Laverton is about $1.65 right now.

It's a great drive. Keep an eye out for wandering camels.
AnswerID: 506417

Follow Up By: Chantelle J1 - Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 23:05

Saturday, Mar 23, 2013 at 23:05
Cheers. It's always good to know where the cheap fuel is! I'm looking forward to seeing the country out there.

Do you know where I can check road conditions for this road?
FollowupID: 784702

Sponsored Links