Camper trailer spares tec

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 19:18
ThreadID: 101015 Views:2402 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
OK - I have come to grips with vehicle spares to consider but how baout for the off-road camper trailer.

I have not seen one mention made by retailers of camper trailers of what might be required including a jack. How do you change a wheel?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 21:39

Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 21:39
Terry, make sure you have a wheel brace or socket and bar to fit the wheel nuts. In a lot of circumstances you can use the vehicle jack on your CT, but double check that there are suitable jacking points. If the vehicle jack is not suitable, well maybe a smallish hydraulic jack.
Another necessary spare part pack to take is a set of wheel bearings, preferably prepacked with grease and maybe vacuum sealed so they don't get any dust or water in them.
As well as the bearings, get an axle seal as well, that is cheap insurance IMHO.
You might want to check you have a socket that fits the axle hub to change a dud bearing if you get one.
Spare globes for various lights is also a must.
No doubt there are many other suggestions coming forward, but there is a start.
cheers
Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 506525

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 21:42

Sunday, Mar 10, 2013 at 21:42
Terry,
as far as spares for trailer goes ,a spare set of wheel bearings is probably number 1 item as that what usually packs it in.
I used to carry a set of bearings in a tin of grease.this stopped them rusting and also ensured I had grease when /if they needed to be changed.anopther option is to carry a spare hub fitted up with new bearings.only takes 10 minutes to change and saves having to hammer out old bearings and new ones in..
if going remote I also packed a few spare wheel studs and nuts along with a set of u -bolts c/w nuts and a fish plate.
some people even carry a spare spring but I have never worried.

I use a small hydraulic jack that is carried as a second jack in the tug vehicle to change tyres on the trailer
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 506526

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 12:09

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 12:09
hi terry
i see no one has mentioned taking a decent solid wood board 40 mm thick x 180-200widex400mm L(not pine) to sit the hydrualic jack on otherwise if you are in sand or wet soil
the hyd jack will just press itself into the ground instead of lifting the tug or trailer
and of course you will need a shovel as you may have to dig a bit out to get jack and board under in some situations a good brass punch is also a very good tool to have for installing bearings as its more gentle and wont damage parts like a steel punch
if your vehichiles areant brand new i would suggest a range of spare hose clips /clamps to to replacement of the one on your vehicles they wont add much weight
cheers
barry
FollowupID: 783540

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 12:22

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 12:22
Hi Terry,

From experience, spare shackles for safety chain, and spares of everything in the hitch that is not permanently fixed. Grease gun if there is a grease nipple on the hitch. Spare keys if you have a lockable trailer. If you have pole carriers we have found that they can cop a real battering from rocks when you are away from the bitumen. The caps are particularly vulnerable, so either reinforce these before leaving home, or take some spare caps. We replaced the light plastic tubes with similar sized black polypipe sourced from recycling centre - no more broken tubes.
If your camper uses separate tent poles it would be a good idea to carry a couple of spare poles and ropes as well.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 506556

Reply By: Rangiephil - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 20:46

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 20:46
If you have leaf springs, a couple of centre bolts ,2xU bolts and IMHO a spare main spring leaf.
Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 506597

Sponsored Links