Birdsville - pelican point - billabong

Just wondering if anyone has been to the billabong up at birdsville and swum in it we are heading up for the first time in a few weeks and the weather looks pretty hot was wondering if it was just like the murray river here in Vic

thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 15:36

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 15:36
Hi Danielle

I have been there, but you can not compare it to the Murray. As for swimming, I would ask one of the locals when you arrive.

I would think that there may be may snags, but then again there might not either. As for the depth, it would be an uncertain thing. I reckon that the water looks deeper coming into Birdsville when you pass over the bridge.

Sorry that I am not much help.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 506582

Reply By: tazbaz - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:04

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:04
The place is full of taipans - beware or bedead
AnswerID: 506625

Reply By: Big A - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 16:14

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 16:14
I am pretty sure the billabong only gets flushed when the Diamantina runs high enough to go that way. The town bore drain runs into it though and may keep the depth up.

If you like wading through mud, slush and pelican poop, go for it.

Better to check the river out, as somebody said above. Go down to the old crossing. If the river is flowing, you could jump in on the top side and get sucked through the pipes for the ride of your life. (Probably the last ride!)

The Diamantina certainly is not like the Murray in Victoria.

Dunno about the snakes. I thought they might be Western Browns. Tangle with them and you will be just as dead though.

Have a good trip.
Alister.
AnswerID: 506649

Sponsored Links