gold fields route :

Submitted: Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 13:07
ThreadID: 101030 Views:1909 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, quick question. can I, or is it possible to take a 19' van through the NSW gold fields area ?. from Gulgong through Hillend , Sofala to Bathurst then through Oberon to Goulburn ?
We will be coming back from the Clermont , Emerald area and thought that this would be a more interesting way home.
Maybe a dumb question but have never been through that neck of the woods before.

Cheers / thanks warren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 15:23

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 15:23
Hi Warren,

The short answer is "Most definitely".

There are tar toads all the way to Gulgong depending of course which way you go and while I am not sure if the road to Sofala from Ilford is tarred, been a lot of years since I was along that section, someone else will advise there. Either way the road would be suitable for your van. The proviso in all these things is "Drive according to the conditions.

Hill End is a different story but as the roads in and out are dirt. Note that you cannot get to Hill End from Bathurst via The Bridle Track due to a road closure but Hill End can be accessed from Sofala via a reasonable dirt road, which I will be taking my 23' van along one of these days.

Bathurst to Oberon is tar all the way also but as I have never been from Oberon to Goulburn that way I cannot say. many others will advise you on that.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 506577

Reply By: scandal - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 16:54

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 16:54
Oberon to Guolburn is all tar, You need to be careful descending into the ravine at the Abercrombie river and climbing back out, very steep and sharp switchbacks, semitrailer's can use this road and have done for years since it was dirt, just need a little care in that area
AnswerID: 506589

Reply By: Warren B - Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 20:27

Monday, Mar 11, 2013 at 20:27
Thanks guys, the dirt road bit doesn't worry me done strez, oonadat, noccundra etc what I were concerned about was narrow not suitable for trailers etc. were looking at coming home through lighting ridge but thought maybe cut across to the coast through some history and keep with the gold / fossicking theme of our trip.

Thanks again Cheers Warren
AnswerID: 506595

Sponsored Links