60amp fuse blown on deep cell caravan battery

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 19:07
ThreadID: 101055 Views:2272 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello, please help if possible - just away for the weekend and found that the van's battery would not charge from solar panels. Checked panels and they are ok. Got home and tried to charge from power without success. Before taking to auto electrician we thought we could ask if anyone has some clue why the battery fuse would blow? The road we travelled was gravel and full of pot holes. We found that a L1 red wire had come apart from back of fuse box too. Could either of these be the cause or would there be something more sinister and expensive.
Any help much appreciated :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 20:24

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 20:24
Hi Trish,
You are asking for a diagnosis with very little detail to go on. You are likely to get a lot of wild assumptions here and be led up the garden path. The loose wire from the fuse box could well be a problem. Clearly you are not skilled in electrical matters and would perhaps be prudent to seek help from an auto electrician.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 506675

Follow Up By: Trish W1 - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 20:32

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 20:32
Well thanks Allan, you are correct on all counts. We have already booked in to auto electrician. Just trying to get as much info and thoughts/ideas as we can and perhaps learn more along the way...
FollowupID: 783705

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 20:26

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 20:26
Hi. Red wires are usually positive wires carrying current from the battery, or to it. If the loose wire has touched another or something in/on the fuse box that allowed the current to run directly to earth then it will blow that fuse. Connect it back up securely (provided you know where it goes) replace the fuse and see if it all works correctly. If not you will have to seek professional advice. Cheers,Bob.
AnswerID: 506676

Follow Up By: Trish W1 - Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 20:37

Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 20:37
Thanks Bob for your feedback. We have re-connected red wire and tomorrow will replace fuse and see what happens. If all fails we have an appointment with auto electrician to check car and van. thanks again Steve & Trish
FollowupID: 783707

Reply By: Racey - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 09:27

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 09:27
A 60 amp fuse is a big fuse to blow. If it is due to a loose wire touching the 'wrong" wire there will be splatter marks on the ends of the wires or where ever the loose one touched. I would be doing some searching before just replacing the fuse to see what happens. Or as has been suggested take it to an auto lecky.

Jon
AnswerID: 506687

Follow Up By: Dingojim - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 07:08

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 07:08
Sorry Trish can't help with your particular problem but the guys who have offered advice seem unaware of a very important, but little known, fact regarding wiring of any sort. With any problem involving loose or broken wiring it must first be ascertained that the smoke is present and intact because, you see , when electrical wire is manufactured it contains smoke, and it is because this smoke escapes that the whole kitkaboodle ceases to function. Probably a bit late to look for the telltale smoke on your job now Trish but good luck anyway.
FollowupID: 784003

Follow Up By: Trish W1 - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:48

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:48
Yeah thanks Dingojim, missed seeing the smoke, i think maybe you have seen plenty, but anyhow we seemed to have sorted out our problem. Red wire re-attached more securely, new battery fuse intact and the battery has charged up whilst connected to ac power. Tomorrow checking the charge to th battery from the solar panels. If all goes ok, no need for auto elect. and more happy days :-)
FollowupID: 784040

Follow Up By: Dingojim - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:57

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:57
Onya Trish. There is no such thing as a problem only a solution waiting to be found. And yes, I have made much smoke over the years. Cheers.
FollowupID: 784042

Sponsored Links