Windsor Rapid ground clearance and suspension

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 12, 2013 at 22:41
ThreadID: 101056 Views:6190 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I did a forum search and nothing really answered my query so I thought I'd start a fresh thread. I have had a Jayco Eagle outback which had excellent ground clearance and this was followed by a Millard Horizon on which I had the axle "underslung" to increase the ground clearance. Many vans I've seen scrape their stabilisers etc.on tricky driveways, ferry ramps and the like as well as on tracks where unusual bumps and holes exist hence my desire for good ground clearance.

I'm in the market for a small Windsor Rapid (RA381 etc.) which I'd like to tow behind my 4WD on occasional poor quality roads or gravel roads. The ads I've seen show typical bitumen road vans with limited ground clearance. What I'd like to know is, (given that some Rapids are "off road" by name and have independent suspension, and others apparently have leaf spring and axle based suspension) is it possible to raise the ride height on the axle models by underslinging the axle and if so, which models are the ones with axles? Is it just the so called "off road" models that have independent suspension?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ozplanman - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 08:25

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 08:25
I should also add that I'd also look at the Jayco equivalent of the RA381 as long as it had a hard roof over the bed ends. If anyone can suggest another similarly configured van I'd appreciate the suggestion(s).

Thanks all...
AnswerID: 506684

Reply By: Gronk - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 15:47

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 15:47
Have a mate who has a Wndsor Rapid RA381 offroad and the stabalisers seem to be tucked up pretty well on the rear......you'd probably need to have a look at one and decide for yourself, but although they aren't a true offroad, go anywhere type of van ( but which ones are ?? )...I think they are one of the better ones for general offroading..

By the way....my mate is getting ready to sell his 2 yr old one ?
AnswerID: 506707

Follow Up By: Member - Ozplanman - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 19:58

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 19:58
Thanks for that Gronk (great nickname!) - I'd be interested to know what the ground clearance actually is. My driveway is very steep with a big change of grade half way up. The pictures I've seen suggest that the Rapid is not very high. I'm not after a "proper" offroad van just something like the Jayco "outback" standard.

A two year old one might just still be a bit out of my price range!

Cheers!
FollowupID: 783777

Reply By: Mark&Sue - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 18:08

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 18:08
Hi , we have a 2008 Windsor Rapid off road purchased brand new, when we went through the order we had the independent suspension fitted [which is more expensive]and a 50mm riser put in between the chassis and floor of van. So it is up to the original owner when they purchased their van what option they ordered.
Cheers Mark
AnswerID: 506718

Sponsored Links