Yamaha Twin Tech cables

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 08:27
ThreadID: 101058 Views:4306 Replies:6 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I almost had a heart attack at the $400.00 my local Yamaha dealer wanted to charge for parallel cables to connect two ef2000is generators together.Four foot of cable with plugs on the ends, anybody made their own?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Racey - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 09:19

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 09:19
Are you sure it's "just a cable", I doubt it. Paralleling AC supplies is not like paralleling a couple of batteries. The 2 supplies must be synchronised so that the alternating cycles are occurring at the same time and the voltages are the same. If they are not you can cause serious damage. Being inverter out puts, I am guessing one inverter becomes the master which controls the the inverter process in both generators. I've noticed the Honda units have a"box" between the two input plugs.

Be very carefull
AnswerID: 506686

Follow Up By: mobi71 - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:05

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:05
Honda in America uses a box in the cables to carry their 30amp three pin twist plug to suit their RV power system, and Honda Aust. gen .accessories show just cables and plugs in the pics. forjust over $100.00 Some sites advertise generic cables to suit both Honda and Yamaha. I'm looking for a definite yes or no because it's a lot of money on the line!! for a pensioner to wear.
FollowupID: 783741

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:06

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:06
Do some research with Google.

The Honda cables cost way too much from Honda but there are online stores in the US who sell them for some very fair prices including postage.

I'm not familiar with the Yamaha set-up but the Honda parallel cabling is just two pieces of copper wire with a shrouded plug on each end for the 10i. For the 20i they are the same electrically with a plain old junction box in the middle of the cable with an outlet mounted on it.

Do you have the manual for the Yamaha?
If it goes to the detail the Honda does it quite clearly shows all they do is parallel the AC output and let the machines "talk" inverter to inverter to balance the load.

As I said, I'm not familiar with the Yamaha machine but I can't see why they'd be significantly different to the Honda system.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 506690

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:52

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:52
The only thing "special" about the interconnecting cable for parallel operation is that the plugs at each end are of a shrouded construction such that human contact cannot be made with the live contacts on either the plug or the socket. They simply connect the inverter outputs in parallel, however the inverters are designed to accommodate this. There is no separate "synchronous trigger" connection.

Machine phasing is achieved by firstly connecting the cable then starting each machine in turn. As the second machine comes up to speed & voltage it falls into synchronisation. The pair of alternators have specifically designed characteristics to enable this and to remain in synchronisation.

The alternate product is a "Paralleling Kit" which is as above but with a "box in the middle of the cable" which contains an outlet socket allowing the aggregate power to be supplied to a single load.

I would leave it to someone skilled in marketing to comment on the apparent high price of the paralleling cable product.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 506694

Reply By: Member - J&R - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 20:58

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 20:58
Are your generators still under warranty?
If so, and you damage them with non Yamaha cables, then....warranty kaput.

AnswerID: 506732

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 01:15

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 01:15
Only if they spot the cables or you own up.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783814

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 21:43

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 21:43
The "Parallel operation connection ports" on my Honda EU20i take 4mm shrouded banana plugs.. (and yes, I made my own connecting cable)..

I'm fairly sure (but not 100% certain) that Yamaha use the same type plugs/sockets...

The plugs are readily available from Jaycar

:)
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 506737

Follow Up By: mobi71 - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:46

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:46
Thanks Ed, did you plug in to each unit and plug your 15amp extension into just one generator or both? Where are you, i'm at Caloundra ,if I could speak with you or even look at your setup?thanks again ,Trevor
FollowupID: 783809

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 00:16

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 00:16
G'day Trevor,
I'm in Toowoomba.. Any time you're passing this way, I'll be happy to show you what I've done..

Feel free to 'shoot me a line' here> edjan AT bigpond DOT com , if I can be of further assistance..

Catch ya later... Ed C

Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 783927

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 23:02

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 23:02
It could be fascinating to learn what you have come up with Ed.
Share it with us.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 783994

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 01:18

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 01:18
G'day Allan,
Nothing much to share really... ;-)

The discussion (down the page a bit) in This old thread from a few years back, pretty much sums up the approach I took (and why)...

Catch ya later... Ed C

Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 784067

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 01:33

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 01:33
Found this on ebay >

Silicone test leads w/- Shrouded Banana Plugs at each end

Can't see why this wouldn't work.. Certainly with Hondas, not sure about Yammy,
(until someone can confirm what jacks they use)...

Comments, anyone?

Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 506948

Follow Up By: mobi71 - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 13:14

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 13:14
thanks ed c,went to jaycar, bought 4 banana plugs ($9.80),a metre of 3 core flex,bit of solder and bob's ya uncle ,$390 less than yamaha
FollowupID: 784110

Sponsored Links