Help Needed with Auto Electrician for large 7 pin Socket in Flemington

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 17:12
ThreadID: 101071 Views:1736 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
My large 7 pin socket on my 4WD drive burnt out and cannot tow the caravan. Am stuck in Flemington and need some help with finding an auto electrician who can supply a large 7 pin socket for the vehicle. I have some thick wires that run the caravan fridge so hence the requirement for a large insert 7 pin socket. I bought a set of large socket from SuperCheap but they are too small for the job.
Would appreciate any assistance with recommending an auto electricain around the Flemington/Footscray or surrounding area. Am still able to drive around.
Many thanks..my mobile is 0429 089 190.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: andrew t - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 17:20

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 17:20
try truck car marine in yarraville ph(03) 9689 6884 they should be able to help you out
AnswerID: 506712

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 18:37

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 18:37
Mate,

You are using the wrong plug and socket to run the caravan fridge.
(Are you really running the caravan fridge from a battery in your vehicle?)

The only connector you should consider is 50 Amp Anderson Connectors and twin heavy duty cable with a fuse close to the supply source.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 506719

Follow Up By: K&FT - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 21:30

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 21:30
I definitely agree, high current items like your fridge will burn out anything less capable than an anderson plug. One other benefit is they are cheaper than replacement trailer plugs.

frank
FollowupID: 783783

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:40

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:40
Hi Sandman,
Running the caravan fridge of the vehicles 12 volt system is the only way to go - you haven't got yours running off the caravan's battery have you?
FollowupID: 783808

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 07:33

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 07:33
Hi there Dennis,

I thought about your reply and yes, in the normal configuration for caravans, you are quite right, so I see the need to qualify my statement.

Firstly, I don't have a caravan but a camper trailer.
Secondly, the camper is fitted with an upright compressor fridge, rather than those confounded three way jobbies that are only workable in the southern areas of our continent.

So, yes. For a caravan fitted with a three way fridge, the correct way is to use the vehicle's supply to run the fridge in 12v mode while travelling, but using separate heavy duty twin core cable terminating in Anderson connectors.

Once upon a time I have a campervan fitted with a 3 way fridge.
I found it to be all but useless for practical purposes.

Now, having experienced both my 40 litre Engel portable compressor fridge and the Waeco 65 litre upright compressor fridge in the camper, I wouldn't consider anything else.

As more excursions are usually off the beaten track, I do not hook up the 240v power and the gas bottle is reserved for the cooker.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 783820

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:59

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:59
Recently met a guy who’s caravan battery would flatten after 3 hours on the road.
It was a new van and the fridge was incorrectly wired - a 3 way fridge suck a lot out of a battery.

I use a 3 way, a Waeco, and an Engel - They all have thier good and bad points.
FollowupID: 783851

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:36

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:36
I use the large Narva 7 pin socket aluminium plug and socket with 30 amp pins.
They are a well made German plug that I have used for years without trouble.
A 3 way fridge draws 15 amps on 12 volts and these plugs will handle it adequately.
If your cable is bigger than 6 mm you will have to reduce it, to fit it into the back of the plug or socket.
AnswerID: 506751

Follow Up By: Con_Qld - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 08:59

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 08:59
Hi Dennis,
Thanks for your comments. Yes I have a 3 way fridge and have just bought the Narva aluminium large 7 pin socket and have replaced the burnt one on the vehicle and the cable fit well into the socket fitting. I feel more confortable now. Many thanks...

Andrew, thanks again for your help....Hopefully when I pick up the Caravan tomorrow all will be fine and I should be on my way...Cheers...Con
FollowupID: 783829

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:19

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:19
Hi Con
I am knocking Anderson plugs and I use them too for other purposes.
Sometimes a multi pin plug overheats because of a loose screw or bad connection at the back of the pin.
One of the good things about an Anderson plug is that you can crimp this and make a very solid connection.
FollowupID: 783854

Reply By: Con_Qld - Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:41

Wednesday, Mar 13, 2013 at 23:41
Thanks all for your positive comments. The caravan fridge wiring was installed via the number two wire on the Plug by the manufacturer although I do agree that it should be done using a dedictaed Anderson Plug type wiring.

The Van is with the Manufacturer at this moment for other repairs and I have asked the question to see if they could run a dedicated thicker wiring to the Anderson Plug on the Drawbar. I hope the manufacturer will respond in a positive manner. Many thanks again for all your help and suggestions....Cheers...Con
AnswerID: 506752

Sponsored Links