TV reception issues mates works...ours doesnt..side by side

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 20:42
ThreadID: 101090 Views:3779 Replies:1 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Just come back from a short trip to Ledge Point and discovered we seem to have issues with our caravan TV reception.

In brief this is the scenario.

* Two caravans parked side by side as in Caravan Park. Same standard Winguard antennae on the roof of each 'van

* Our TV is a Grundig GLCD1908HDV......NO RECEPTION at all despite numerous auto scan and numerous antennae change of direction...including identical alignment with mates alongside
* Mates TV is a Toshiba Regza model # 22SL700A.........heaps of ATV channel's and 29 digital ones....!!!

* Came home just now and did the auto scan thing with ours and works perfectly ...some 10 ATV and 30 DTV...( as it always has been here at home south of Perth)

* On reflection we look back and remembered that in September last year no reception at New Norcia Oval...just assumed none available that spot...didn't work at Mount Magnet a couple of days before...just assumed not available there

So my wise and experienced friends do I have a problem with the antennae ( only picking up strong signals) OR is it picking all signals up (weak included) and therefore do I have a TV that needs very strong signals from the antennae..I am totally perplexed

Comments and thoughts much appreciated

Thanks

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan How. - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 21:09

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 21:09
Some TV's, mostly the cheaper brands have weak tuning abilities.

Did you try swapping TV's?

A poor/no signal can come down to a faulty fitting, wall plate, flylead, low spec cable etc. You see too many home jobs with the twist on fittings etc from Bunnings etc. Alot of my work fault finding involves these issues.

AnswerID: 506800

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 22:13

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 22:13
Thanks Alan

I never thought to swap the TV's. The connections were done by an experienced installer with the crimp type connectors...and all appear to be sound and good

Would you class a Grundig in the "cheaper brands"..i thought they would be classed at the upper end?

cheers
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 783915

Follow Up By: steved58 - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 22:39

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 22:39
Just a thought did you have the amplifier on the wingaurd on its easy to forget to turn it on I have done it heaps of times only to remember later aftef thinking no tv reception
Steve
FollowupID: 783918

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 22:41

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 22:41
Hi Steve

if you mean the little green light on the wall panel..then yes it was on

thanks
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 783919

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 23:19

Thursday, Mar 14, 2013 at 23:19
I have 2 small TVs, tried them both in the Perth on my caravan – the 5 YO Sphere has a better tuner and pulls in a stronger signal than the brand new Phoenix.
FollowupID: 783923

Follow Up By: BUSH CAMPER - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 07:33

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 07:33
Our winguard stopped working, we checked the circuit and found that the circuit board in the aerial was stuffed, couldn't get a replacement from anywhere, so contacted Coastal RV and purchased the newest upgraded aerial that was a retro fit to the winguard base.
Works well.
Hope this helps
Regards Hugh
FollowupID: 783934

Follow Up By: Alan How. - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 08:11

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 08:11
I haven't had alot to do with the Grundigs to be honest, but it's something I'd look into. When travelling, you need all the signal gaining potential you can get.

I do prefer the compression fittings over the crimps as they are more reliable and virtually moisture proof. Not that this suggests you are having problems with your setup.

I haven't had any experience with the Winguard antenna, but some amplifiers won't allow any signal past if not working. It does sound like this one is working though.

On other forums it has been suggested that the Winguards aren't as strong as a domestic style antenna.

These antennas are used quite alot in the caravanning scene- http://dicksmith.com.au/product/L4024/caravan-va7-vhf-uhf-antenna They come in a 13 element as well. Jaycar and some antenna shops/Techs carry these. They do UHF/VHF horizontal/vertical and a combination of both which covers all of Australia.

FollowupID: 783937

Follow Up By: Mark - Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 19:59

Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 19:59
Try connecting a digital settop to the tv via composite video rather than the tuner. This would tell you if the aerial and connections etc are good as well.
FollowupID: 783978

Follow Up By: Macca - Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 15:18

Monday, Mar 18, 2013 at 15:18
I've bought a VAST system....purrrrrfect tellie everytime...even in the middle of knowhere - in fact especially in the middle of knowhere!

Mac
FollowupID: 784201

Sponsored Links