suspension problems with a isuzu rodeo 4x4 motorhome

Submitted: Friday, Mar 15, 2013 at 23:47
ThreadID: 101115 Views:4586 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1993 4x4 isuzu 2.8 lt turbo diesel motorhome.It has a large body on the back and over the cab.The rear has sagged ,plus i want to raise the hole motorhome.ARB told me to add an extra leaf on the rear and replace the shocks,that should do the trick.Plus they said you may have to replace all the springs.Pedders said add an extra leaf on the rear,replace all the shocks and add air bags to the rear.That should solve the problem.I will not be doing extreme 4x4 because of the nature of the vehicle but will be spending a fair bit of time on rough dirt roads.What is the best way to go about it?Between ARB,Pedders,Tough Dog and Ironman it is confusing to know what to do.If someone can advise me it would be appreciated.Thank you Stuart and Gunny.Ps you can find pics of the motorhome on this site.Just copy,paste and press enterhttp://www.manheim.com.au/recreation/item/itemunavailable?itemID=000000000003612305
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 08:32

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 08:32
There are many others suspension places out there other then ARB and Pedders.

On the advice you have had from both I would go ARB over Pedders....... Pedders should no better no to fit airbags on a vehicle that has constant weight, air bags are designed to be fitted to vehicles that may carry extra weight for a short time once and a while.

If you towed a caravan three times a year on your annual holidays then airbags may be the way to go...... if you were towing this caravan 20 times a year over a greater distance then the only way is fit the correctly rated springs.

Stay away from air bags!

I would look at springs and shockers..... it may pay to speak to someone at a spring works..... seeing they make the springs they have a good understanding of what is needed.

On a Hilux we had a few years ago we had two different off the shelf springs packs fitted..... in the end we ended up buying a third set of springs and getting the spring works to add modified leafs... it worked a treat.
AnswerID: 506875

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 21:32

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 21:32
I agree with olcoolone, talk to the makers of spring cos they know about springs and spring rates, the others only know how to sell them.

Once you establish the correct spring for the ride height, then the spring people may have some data on what shock absorbers types are likely to be able to handle the weight and mass forces when travelling off road/rough road.

The ARB's and the Pedders of the world generally only find out what sort of works by trying stuff. Not a way of working which is any good to you. You require the good stuff first time, not lots of stuff over time.

It's the stuffing around with trying various stuff is the stuff you don't need.

Ps Air bags aren't really for constant use but if fitted they can be used to remotely pump up the rear for the exits from some bad departure situations and then return to just a few PSI for normal use where the bag is basically idling and not load bearing to any degree.

Ross M
FollowupID: 784051

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 20:15

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 20:15
Hi Olcoolone and Ross.Thanks for your advise and what you had to say made sense.I have tried to find spring works but there are a lot of company's with spring works in there name.The other thing i should have mentioned is that i live in Victoria about 1 hour nth of Melbourne at a place called Wallan.I would like to use someone if possible that is in commuting distance to me in case there is a problem.Again thank you for your time.Stuart
FollowupID: 784142

Reply By: Mark&Sue - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 09:20

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 09:20
Hi Stuart, give Freds 4wd conversions a call and see what he reckons, he puts a coil over the rear leaf springs and new shocks. Would make it a lot more comfortable ride and with his spring options I'm sure he would be able to get the ride height level and at the same time more comfy than new leaves.
Cheers Mark.
AnswerID: 506876

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 20:24

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 20:24
Hi Mark and Sue.Thanks for your tip on Freds.I spoke to him Saturday morning and explained my situation to him.He is in Townsville at the moment at wont be back in Toowoomba for a week or so.He asked me to send pics of the van and take some measurements and he will get back to me when he can.He seemed very helpful so thanks for your advise.The other thing i should have mentioned is that i live in Victoria,1 hour north of Melbourne.Bye Stuart
FollowupID: 784143

Reply By: splits - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 12:25

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 12:25
Have a talk to Lovells http://www.lovells.com.au/ I started using their services as far back as 1963. If they can't help then nobody can.
AnswerID: 506890

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 20:33

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 20:33
Hi Splits,thanks for your advise.I have sent them of an email plus the site to look at pics.I guess they will get back to me when they get a chance.I live in Victoria so hopefully they have an agent down here.Bye Stuart
FollowupID: 784145

Reply By: mountainman - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 17:01

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 17:01
ultimate suspension.

these guys go beyond the call of duty !
been around for years.

they do the armoured upgrades all over the world.
and the suspension to suit the extra tonne of weight.

feedback is awesome.
wished i went with them than ARB, great product but CRAP after sales service..
i broke a leaf spring, had to go through a TJM dealer to get a Old man emu leaf spring.
NOT HAPPY JAN !! ha ha, pretty funny now.

have heard many people comments on ultimate, service the way it used to be.
very well regarded in the off road forums, my swag...
AnswerID: 506989

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart and Gunny - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 20:42

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 20:42
Hi Mountainman thanks for your tip.I have sent them an email plus the site to get pics of the van.I will be keen to see what they come back with.I live in Victoria so hopefully they have an agent down here.Bye Stuart
FollowupID: 784147

Sponsored Links