Dual Batt for Triton Now adding solar.

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 15:44
ThreadID: 101125 Views:2319 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have searched & searched and come around just as confused as i started. I own a MN Triton and wish to add a 2nd battery set up to keep the ARB 60L Fridge cold.

Previous set up was Deep cycle Battery in the tray, ABR Sidewinder Battery Monitor with ABR Sidewinder 140amp isolator. Now i borrowed all of this from my brother so I have to start all over but now wish to add a solar panel into the system. Previous set up when running there was 14.18v at the starting battery & 14.09v- 14.01v at the rear battery.

The solar panel i wish to permanently fix to the canopy is a BP Solar 80w panel. I already have this panel , or is it better to purchase a bigger panel ?

My Question is what is suggested to make it all work ? What is the recommended battery to use? I wish to be able to camp for 2-3days with out starting the car engine if possible.
Planning to travel 1/2 Australia this year.

Cheers Matthew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: BluePrint Industries Pty Ltd - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 17:10

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 17:10
Hi Matthew,

We run a 24 V 190W panel, and a regulator in our traytop camper. The 24V 190W panel is l in my opinion the best way to go. The regulator drops it back to correct voltage for a 12V system, and as its a 24V input we still get good charge on cloudy days and in partial shade.

Our battery is normally back in float by about 10AM, and we run an Evacool 95l Fridge/Freezer, plus lights without a problem.

We can even recharge the car battery if needed.

I can PM you specifics, panels are available here in the west, and we have had them shipped to Broome previously. Cost is about $700 complete.

Regards

Kurk
AnswerID: 506910

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 18:58

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 18:58
Kurk,

What regulator do you use?

Not all regulators can accept a nominal 24V panel to charge a 12V system.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 784138

Follow Up By: BluePrint Industries Pty Ltd - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 19:47

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 19:47
Hi Matthew,

The regulator is a Blue Sola MPPT 70/15.

It will accept up to 70V input so one 24v panel (2 would put it over the 70V limit at VMAX.) which provide 15A at 12V output. It auto senses the output battery voltage for 12 or 24volt.

The MPPT regulators cost $160. inc GST. The Panels cost about $440. Due to the size of the panel and shipping costs I would suggest buying that as close as possible to home. The regulator we could fit into a 3 Kg airbag or express post bag.

Regards

Kurk

FollowupID: 784340

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 17:18

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 17:18
Not a cheap solution but one of the better ones:-

1. A Sidewinder Flyer

2. An AGM battery (up to 130Ah will fit inside the box)
Probably 120Ah will be large enough.

3. A Ctek D250S Dual dc-dc charger which includes both alternator and solar inputs.

Although the Flyer incorporates an isolator to protect the starting battery, so does the D250S and the Ctek includes a multistage charging process to maintain the battery in the best possible condition.
Better still, the Ctek allows input from both alternator and solar at the same time and it will measure and choose the best input at any given time.

If using the D250S dc-dc charger, you may get away with a "cheap" battery box, but I like the Flyer as it has everything included including cable, Anderson connectors and fuse. You may need to disconnect the isolator from inside the box but Derek will be able to advise you on this if incorporating the D250S Dual dc-dc charger.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 506911

Sponsored Links