Worrying moments out there camping!

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 19:29
ThreadID: 101130 Views:3316 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Never forgot the the time up at Yepoon in Qld at a caravan park when a Fierce blow came from no where, As newly Weds there was only one thing on our minds, but this storm had her trying to get under the bed, ...lol and i was out there hanging onto annexe poles that where bending to a 45deg angle, talk about being scared!!,

LOL!,, my Knees where knocking together, never forgot that one... Bet theres a few like stories out there?

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:00

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:00
Gee! one could recount many camping stories all right Axle.

One that immediately comes to mind here was when we were to camp at Phillip island and had no idea where to go and its was starting to get dark. We managed to drive down onto a beach not far from a place called seal rocks and set up a tent on sand just before a small cliff.
Was cooking up baked beans on a gas stove when all these funny noises started outside and all around us.

Having no idea I opened the tent flap and this damm Penguin came inside - didn't really know what it was but I grabbed it and chucked it out and went outside to look and there were Penguins everywhere running up banks, under the car, around the tent , geez was confusion everywhere for about half an hour.

Now days they charge to go there, sit on hard benches and watch 3 penguins waddle around for a few minutes and have the nerve to call it a tourist attraction.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 506922

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:15

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:15
Lol Robin,.. Things have certainley changed over the years.

Compared to the ol days what you have to pay to see now is ridiculous ,....LOL ... Penguins eh,.. glad it wasn't black snakes .lol.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 784038

Follow Up By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:49

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:49
As I read down I thought it was going to be Seals. Now that would have been fun.lol
FollowupID: 784041

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:53

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:53
You sure have nailed that one Robin. LOL.

Exhorbitant fee, hard concrete benches, 3 miserable penguins who cannot make up their mind if they are going to walk up the beach or head back into the surf, and they have the audacity to call it a tourist attraction.

We saw heaps more penguins on the way out.

And that shop???, It's just a tourist trap IMHO.
Still, they won't bite me a second time. LOL

Enjoyed your comments though, got a laugh out of it.

Cheers, Bruce.

At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 784106

Reply By: Member - VickiW - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:25

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:25
One that comes to mind is maybe 6 or more years ago, after Christmas, we camped at a nice quiet campsite near a hut in the snowys. A black snake lived under the concrete slab of the only toilet. Everytime visiting the "facilities" it would be sunning itself next to the toilet or laying under a bush then dash under the slab when anyone approached.

Not so concerning during the day, but after dark made me very nervous!

Vicki
AnswerID: 506923

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:34

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:34
That would be a concern for sure Vicki,.. Maybe a Hubby to keep a look out... in the dark!..lol.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 784039

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 21:54

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 21:54
we were camped at The Devils Marbels back in 2011 late in the dry season, and there were fires about everywhere up that way at the time. we could see smoke from a large fire way off on the horizon during the day and weren't real concerned about it at all, but after dinner that night an electrical storm came through, and the winds from the storm front whipped up the fire so much it turned the campsite from dark to daylight in a matter of minutes. whilst it was scary how much the fire cranked up, i took into account the wind direction and location of the fire and sort of knew we'd be ok where we were, still didn't stop me making a plan to jump in the fourby with the family and make a run for it should the fire start to come our way. just before the storm hit i started pegging the camper down even more in anticipation of what was about to hit, the girl camped next door (in a Hiace van with her boyfriend) saw me doing work around the camper and asked me if i needed a hand packing up, as she thought i was worried about the fire coming our way and was leaving....lol...truth was the fire did concern me some, but i was adding more ropes and pegs for the storm not taking them down to flee the fire.
the straight down lightning bolts from the storm and daylight like glow from the fire was both scary and spectaular to watch at the same time. around 2.00 - 3.00 a.m another storm came through and i watched the show all over again from my bed looking out the camper window, the kids were so scared by the storm it was 2 adults and 2 kids lying in the bed together.....lol
AnswerID: 506931

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 22:07

Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 22:07
All Good fun mate!,... But worry can be trumphs at times!

Cheers Axle
FollowupID: 784054

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 08:33

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 08:33
I remember the time we camped down by the Nymboida river in NSW.

Took our camper trailer down a steep 4WD track to the river flats with the intention of packing up in the morning & being able to loop around & drive straight out in the morning. Well it started to rain & rain..... About 2 am we awoke to the roar of water coming down the river & rising fast toward our camp.
By the time we folded the camper there was no room left to make the turn so here I am REVERSING up the 4WD track in the dark & rain with my wife using a spottie to guide me.
Set up camp on top of the hill & next morning then drove down to the road bridge we had crossed & all we could see was a mass of foaming water where the bridge once was!
It was 1 week before the river level fell enough to get out via an alternate route. We found out over the radio that a 1 in 20 year rain event had hit North NSW & some people had to be taken out by helicopter. No stress for us though as we were on an externded trip so had plenty of food so just waited it out.

Thanks for sharing Axle. Good topic.
Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 506961

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 15:28

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 15:28
Hi Axle,

Good topic!

We had a few interesting moments on our first trip to Fraser Island back in '92. Among other things learnt that its important to remember about the tide coming waaay up the beach - makes travel difficult especially if you have to wait half the night for it to go down again. We also learnt why its always a good idea to walk through a water crossing, and why packing a vehicle properly makes camping a bit easier, especially if its raining. And tents that collapse can be a bit of a pain - and if you're camped a bit behind the beach its a good idea to clearly mark the entrance to your camp, even if you don't expect to be coming back in the middle of the night.

But for all that we still had a memorable time.

Click here for the full story.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 506981

Sponsored Links