Regent Extreme Off Road Caravan

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 16, 2013 at 20:17
ThreadID: 101131 Views:9562 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at purchasing a Regent Extreme Off Road Caravan - hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has experience with them - off road capability, strength, quality etc.

Cheers.

SCOEY
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 14:16

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 14:16
G'day Scoey
I notice one for sale in SA for $29,990

It didn't say what type of suspension it has and because of it's size the name "extreme" is more a selling feature than a statement of capability.
I can't see what is extreme about it si that should be discounted.
It's physical size and over ramp angle would rule out most things offroad, maybe ok for rough track type roads if suspension is up to the mark.
Most caravans are caravans with features but it is the suspension and the approach and departure angles which dictate the offroad ability.

Best to see one in the flesh to gauge what it's real potential may be.

Ross M
AnswerID: 506980

Reply By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 16:45

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 16:45
The previous post clearly has no knowledge of this van as demonstrated in the remarks and should be discounted.

As far as I am aware, all Xtremes come with Control Rider suspension, which is as good as it gets in a caravan (similar to Sugar glider/Cruisemaster in capability - probably the three main types used by offroaders) some of the so called "big hitters" don't have suspension this good. Just Google it and you'll see what suspension you are getting. All cupboards and drawers are screwed and glued and you only have to operate the doors to see the quality. Fully galvanized chassis and although I haven;t seen the $29,ooo van referred to, ours is a single axle with a generous cutaway at the rear for clearance and I would back this van to compete with the best on the most demanding of tracks. Because they don't operate aggressive marketing campaigns highlighting whistles and bells etc does not mean the "Xtreme" tag is a marketing ploy.They are a very capable offroad van. Might be an idea to have a look on the caravanners forum where there was a discussion about Regent's Xtreme model and there were some favourable comments not just by owners but also a regular guy on there with a long history in the trade and an engineering background. You'll also see that owners have taken them along the usual challenging roads.

We bought ours because we didn't want to be towing 3 ton + and the hybrids are at least twice the cost to buy a used one - partly because they are relatively new and as a result, dearer but they do carry a very hefty price anyway. Very similar is the Goldstream also the Billabong Bush Basher.
AnswerID: 506986

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 16:52

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 16:52
two for sale here Scoey $33,500

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/buy/results.aspx?Nne=15&N=1552 1549 1600 1602 1601 4294964653 4294965348 85
FollowupID: 784124

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 17:04

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 17:04
G'day Steve
I didn't imply I knew anything about it and mentioned it is the suspension which provides the so called off road ability.

The ad and other info hadn't until your post indicated the suspension type. So unknown at that point.
My comments were of a "check it out carefully" nature and didn't mention it can't go offroad as you said it can.
The pictured ride height in the ad didn't indicate a substantial clearance distance either.Suspension not shown either, if it at all important you would think it would be.
However, the size of it and the length of draw bar to axle does limit the off road, again it all depends on what is being termed offroad.

I like your term, "owners have taken them along the usual challenging roads". Is that OFF ROAD?

Ross M
FollowupID: 784125

Follow Up By: Steve M1 (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 17:12

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 17:12
hello Ross,

sorry if I was a bit sharp there but he did ask for somebody with experience of the van and you were clearly giving him a negative impression, virtually dismissing the van. I've no idea the specific van you refer to but I am talking about the Regent Xtreme which is what he was asking about.

As for my terminology that you liked, I'm sure you get the drift but if not, it's not hard to do a little research in the area I referred to or elsewhere.
FollowupID: 784126

Follow Up By: Ross M - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 18:20

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 18:20
It is interesting how people perceive things.
I didn't dismiss or create a negative impression just an awareness of possibly marketing not being actual and the limitations of design which is often overlooked at purchase time and regretted later. Depending on usage of course.
FollowupID: 784133

Follow Up By: Member - Scoey4 (SA) - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 20:27

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 20:27
Greetings

Thanks for the responses - I am being very careful with this purchase - last one was dissapointing, so am doing lots of research and getting feedback. The $29,990 one I have seen on the net and will be looking at personally on Friday. Have seen this model before and it looks the goods.

Again, thanks for the feeback.

SCOEY
FollowupID: 784144

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexic - Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 22:25

Sunday, Mar 17, 2013 at 22:25
Scoey, don't forget to factor in the extra dollar for going soft.
FollowupID: 784158

Follow Up By: Happy Frank - Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 20:38

Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 at 20:38
Des you are a Tvan blouse
FollowupID: 784347

Sponsored Links